in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-16-2007 4:30 AM by BarryAndrew. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-14-2007 5:11 AM

A consideration on BL2

Well the only thing I have discovered recently is that I have gone off the BL2 for music! At low levels it is great and adds in my view. At medium volumes it is OK, but at higher volumes it is just not right. We tried my main system (Pentas and BL2) against M100s and discovered that at good volumes, the BL2 just made the bass ponderous and out of control. It sounded better switched off (easy to do).

Peter

I have cut this comment from another thread because I think its at the crux of a considerable amount of interchange on the sub woofer issue over the last few weeks. Now I need to focus on what the problem is? Is it that the BL2 is not fast enough as a sub woofer and there are others that are? Or is it the way you connect the sub woofer to your equipment (i.e. via the DTS on the TV or via a power link to the fronts)?

Whats your view Peter?

I know I should make up my own mind and have a test at home but I am resigned not to using my local dealer until his manager changes. I do not spend money in an establishment where I am not happy with the service. So I will either buy a BL2 from Lee or a dealer "up country" as we would say in Cornwall or go for a non B&O sub which I can get locally. There are a lots of options but I need to fine down this little issue which is quite big if you can only justify a sub-woofer for music as well as DVD.

Barry 

Barry BV6-26,BC2300,Beolab8000,4000,3500,2000,DVD1
  • 10-14-2007 5:22 AM In reply to

Re: A consideration on BL2

Mine is attached via the DTS on my Avant - it has the advantage that it is easy to switch off! I'll have a go connecting it differently - it will be a couple of days as it is my wedding anniversary today! It just gives too much bass and sounds boomy at higher volumes. As part of the AV set up, it is superb.
  • 10-14-2007 9:33 AM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

I never heard a bad word said about the Beolab 2 until I bought one, now I never seem to hear a good word about it.

For movies I love it (after turning it down first). For music I'm not sure if I'm trying to convince myself I like it after years of listening music without. On some CD's its way over the top. Kanye West's CD for an example. 

• 10-14-2007 11:06 AM In reply to

For movies it is the best money I have spent on B&O. For music at low to medium levels it is fine. Higher volumes in my set up just has too much bass even at lower settings. Possibly better in a bigger room.
  • 10-15-2007 4:12 AM In reply to

Thanks Peter & Britpop for your insights. These comments do seem to pick up on the boominess that others referred to in other threads. What interests me is why that is and why it seems out of phase on some music tracks. It would be good to rule out the difference between connecting the bl2 to the fronts or to the DTS. Other than that being the cause I can only assume that the response rate of the BL2 is not fast enough for some music.

Thanks again. 

• 10-15-2007 10:00 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

That is enough for me. I've heard the BL2 and it only sounded acceptable at low volumes. I just did not want to believe that B&O can't make a sub good enough to add to their speakers... i may just be wrong. Please B&O start again. I am yet to try the PV1 at home but will endevour to organise this and i will of course report back.

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 10-15-2007 2:17 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I believe the 'slowness' of the BeoLab 2 may be attributed to the tuning of the passive radiators. The lower you tune a diaphragm (whether it's an active cone or passive cone), the slower it responds as it's resonant frequency is lower. Think of it like trying to swing a heavily weighted pendulum around in tight circles, in comparison to a lighter weighted or shorter one, it's the same for a speaker.

Where the BeoLab 2 is incredible is it's extension. There isn't a single subwoofer on the market that goes as low as the BeoLab 2 and yet takes up such a small amount of space at the same time, or produces the same maximum SPL, so I guess it's a trade off between size/lowest registers and speed/accuracy.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 10-15-2007 5:17 PM In reply to

I think that the BL2 is a very good product and is complementary to my system set up (8000 and 6000). It is too expensive nowdays; I bought it in 2002 at a much more reasonable launch price! THe bass is not boomy at all; rather I feel that it adds 'substance' and depth to it.

Vince

• 10-15-2007 6:01 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Oh it definitely adds depth and meat to the sound, but in comparison to other subs on the market it can be really distracting when it comes to music. I suggest you have a listen to a B&W PV1 to see what a really musical sub can sound like...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 10-16-2007 4:30 AM In reply to

Alex,

Is that equally true whether the PV1 is connected to the DTS or to the Speakers? It seems from what a lot are saying that the BL2 is more of a home cinema product and doesn't do both jobs properly just the DVD role. I am still wondering why that is but its beginning to appear that it is not fast enough at the levels listeners need it to be at for music. Have I got it wrong? I like David will not go near it if it cannot be suitably adjusted to cope with music as I do not watch that many DVDs -- I find real life more interesting!

Thanks for your insights.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)