in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-12-2007 8:13 AM by Steve at Sounds Heavenly. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-11-2007 5:40 PM

Beogram CD 3500/4500 - how hot should it get?

Hi everyone,

I've just become the proud owner of an IMMACULATE Beosystem 3500 (cassette, turntable, CD and tuner/amp) and after two evenings of intensive use, I already absolutely love it!  Although I know most people prefer the shiny 4500 version, for me the subdued grey colour scheme of the 3500 is the perfect understatement.

However, one thing is worrying me a bit - when the CD player is in use, the heat sink at the back seems to get very hot (not quite too hot to touch, but not far off).  Is this normal?

The heat builds up during the time it takes to play a disk (ie. about an hour) and it cools down again when not playing.  The system is stood horizontally on a flat wooden cabinet with space for air to circulate all around.  I removed the two red transit pegs before use, as per the instructions.  All parts of the system play perfectly.  I normally unplug the system from the mains when not in use, so that it is not left on standby for long periods.

The system came from a reputable dealer complete with a warranty, but I don't want to trouble them unless this is a genuine fault (or potential fire hazard!)  I had a search on the forum for other posts on the subject, but couldn't find anything.  I would be really grateful if any other Beosystem 3500 or 4500 owners could let me know how hot the back of their CD players get please!

Many thanks,

Steve.

Sounds Heavenly Cables are proud to be a sponsor of the BeoWorld Forum!

• 10-11-2007 6:02 PM In reply to

Re: Beogram CD 3500/4500 - how hot should it get?

I know that mobeyone has a 4500 system. Might be worth sending him a PM?

Regards Graham

• 10-12-2007 4:01 AM In reply to

Hi Steve !
    Welcome to the "club of proud 3500/4500 owners" Wink

I also noted that my CD4500 produces quite some heat. Anyway the grille never gets as hot as you describe.
    My 4500 hangs on the wall and the dust pickup from waste heat makes me repaint the wall in regular intervals, so there really IS excess heat. Despite that, I would not hesitate troubling the dealer with it - if it is normal you get peace of mind, if not he will gladly take care of it.

Best regards, Roman

• 10-12-2007 4:37 AM In reply to

Thanks Roman,

It sounds as though I could have a problem with my CD player!  I will call the dealer and get it checked out.  My system sits next to an armchair, so I don't really want to risk letting it start a fire.........

I'll let you know the outcome.

Steve.

• 10-12-2007 7:08 AM In reply to

Hi Steve !

Sound decision. (Play of words Smile but it's like that in both ways !!)
    It would also be a pity if parts of your BeogramCD aged too fast due to thermal stress.

Sure, I'm very interested in the outcome! Please send me a PM when you know more !

Best regards and have a nice weekend anyway

Roman

• 10-12-2007 8:13 AM In reply to

Problem solved!

I spoke to the engineer who recently serviced the system and he has put my mind at rest.  Apparently, there are four regulating transistors bolted to the heat sink and in normal use it is designed to get HOT (not just warm!).  That is why the CD player has a heat sink with external metal fins, so that the extra heat can be dissipated.

The advice from the service engineer was not to worry, as this is normal.  Panic over!  Hopefuly, this thread will help any other new 3500/4500 owners who start worrying about the heat coming from the stereo cabinet in the corner of their living room......

Many thanks for all the advice, now I can sit back and enjoy the music!

Steve.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)