in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-13-2007 5:22 PM by Alex. 21 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (22 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-11-2007 3:52 PM

• Pushkin
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • London
    • Posts 50
    • Bronze Member

Loosing my religion - an update

Hi

A while since I have posted.  Last time I posted loosing my religion where I lost faith in B&O and sold all my kit (bv4,bs3,bl3,bs4,bs9000) and have now spent some time with a Pioneer 5000 ex and more recently with a Loewe 46 individual, B&W speakers, and LINN components.  I now understand what I found special about B&O - quality, simplicity and elegance - and cannot find anyone who overall does it better - on an emotional level it has been like turning my back on an old and dear friend - so I need your advice.

I am refurbishing our house and starting with the living/tv room (450sq ft) and have a small child (so everything possible needs to be wall mounted) and have boiled my options down to two:

1.  BV7-40 mk III with 4 BL3s and a BL2 
    2.  BV5 HD with 4 BL6000s (with the new wall mount option which i think looks good) and a BL2

Option 1 is clearly miles ahead in the technical space and my head is telling me to go this route - my heart however is saying the BV5 is beautiful and the BL6000s I have loved for many years. 

So, with the small child considerations, have I arrived at the right options and if you were in my position which would you go for (and if it has any relevance I will be going for the BS 5 as 99% of my music is now digitial lossloss).

• 10-11-2007 4:40 PM In reply to

Re: Loosing my religion - an update

I would have the BV5 but would have Beolab 8000s at the front because they sound better. Beolab 6000s are fine at the rear though. You are of course completely correct that the BV7 route will have a more detailed picture and the sound from the Beolab 3s will also sound more detailed because it is brighter. However I am not sure that this will make your listing and viewing experience better.

The only proviso is the lack of connections on the BV5. The BV7 Mk3 really can connect to anything and everything which the BV5 cannot. I don't know if the BV5 will offer the same experience with the BS5 that the BV7 will.  

• 10-11-2007 5:17 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I'd wait for the mk3 BV7 as you state before you make any decisions! It's a bit of a stormer according to the US members...

I agree with Peter RE the 6000s vs 8000s. The 8000s are hugely superior speakers! Another option would be the BeoLab 9s, which are a huge step up again, offsetting their increased price easily...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 10-11-2007 5:23 PM In reply to

• Sal
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-30-2007
    • Indianapolis, USA
    • Posts 261
    • Bronze Member

Agreed, Being here in the States, check out the BV7 before fully deciding on the BV5. Classic, though it is, with the amount of money you're spending, you'd rather leave room to grow rather than buying something that is already obsolete... besides, you never know, you may like the BV7 so much that it will become your new "classic."

This US-resident is jealous of your eventual purchase, whatever it is.

-Sal
    Love B&O, but no longer addicted.
  • 10-11-2007 5:25 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Hey, Alex, the Bath store already has their demo MKIII, so you should be able to report on the TV yourself, Saturday evening.
  • 10-11-2007 5:44 PM In reply to

• Jez
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-13-2007
    • Posts 150
    • Bronze Member

Has anyone ever wondered what a setup would be like with BeoLab 7-4 as a centre, front L/R and back L/R all wallmounted. The  technical info seems o.k to handle this. Think it would be cool if B&O offered a speaker package of BL7-4's with BL2 at a slight discount (I know that will never happen!) even make floor stands for them, just like when they came out with floor stands for BL4000's. I've got a BL7-4 at home and think it sounds fantastic.
  • 10-11-2007 6:07 PM In reply to

• saf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 458
    • Founder

BV5 plasma screen's 'touchy' surface and small kids' fingers that indeed want to touch  'everything' right before they start to chase their favorite cartoon character accross the screen, can potentially be a a rather disasterous combination - and an experience which in strictly monetary terms I suspect will not make one richer. Unless, of course, the set is wall mounted safely out of reach ...

Sadly, I feel like starting to investigate if a damage to the outer layer of the screen - done by the cute little fingers - can be somehow fixed. Can anyone confirm if yes, by the way? I hope changing the whole screen is not the only alternative [:'(]  

• 10-11-2007 10:18 PM In reply to

Dear All:

My 2 cents, option 1 with a BL 7-4 center wall-mounted.  

Do, please, let us know of your decision.  Wall mounting may be safer for the child, less risk of anything being pulled and falling on them.  The one thing you can expect from children is the unexpected.

Enjoy,

dario
    When I hear music, I fear no danger. I see no foe... Thoreau
  • 10-12-2007 9:02 AM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Regarding Beolab 9 and children.
    The Penguin's mouth looks a great place to shove a purple crayon.....

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 10-12-2007 10:01 AM In reply to

• Jez
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-13-2007
    • Posts 150
    • Bronze Member

saf:

BV5 plasma screen's 'touchy' surface and small kids' fingers that indeed want to touch  'everything' right before they start to chase their favorite cartoon character accross the screen, can potentially be a a rather disasterous combination - and an experience which in strictly monetary terms I suspect will not make one richer. Unless, of course, the set is wall mounted safely out of reach ...

Sadly, I feel like starting to investigate if a damage to the outer layer of the screen - done by the cute little fingers - can be somehow fixed. Can anyone confirm if yes, by the way? I hope changing the whole screen is not the only alternative [:'(]  

The anti-reflex glass screen on BV5 is achieved by spraying fine aluminum particles on the front of the glass panel. It has a  purplinsh tinge to it as with the microscopic dints in it the light bounches off to various angles and not straight back to the viewer, therefore reducing glare when watching the unit. You can't use solvents or cleaning products on it as they get stuck in the dents in the glass and scratches do show up, it is much easier to leave finger prints also. It is an expensive measure to take in reducing glare and only soft clean cloths should be used to clean, best method for me is warm breath and a clean cloth. It can't be fixed if scratched. I believe that there is a new method B&O are now using (first on BC6) with a film sandwiched between two glass panels, much better in effectiveness and allot more user friendly. Not sure how many models now have it. My BV7-40 uses the older method.
  • 10-12-2007 11:03 AM In reply to

• Beobird
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 506
    • Gold Member

What are you going to do with your current setup Surprise, I mean in words of picture and sound you will fall back.

I would suggest to spent more money on the speakers to stay on the same audio level(I ques you own now a pair of B&W XT speakers ?). Look at a pair of Beolab 5's and I can tell you that you really don't need surround speakers when you have a good pair of fronts. I know a second life pair for around 11k (euros), so if you're interested you can pm me.

We Can't Get Enough B&O Stuff...

• 10-12-2007 1:01 PM In reply to

• Graeme
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Aberdeenshire Scotland
    • Posts 194
    • Bronze Member

jandyt:

Andy T.

And a half eaten slice of toast, a drink carton straw, a plastic cow boy figure hat, a malteser and a sheet of paper. Items I found in my video player after a two week trip away when my son was about 4.

Cheers Graeme
  • 10-12-2007 3:10 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Kids, eh?
    I blame the parents you know.
    When they rock them to sleep, they're not using a big enough rock!

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 10-12-2007 3:51 PM In reply to

• Graeme
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Aberdeenshire Scotland
    • Posts 194
    • Bronze Member

jandyt:

Kids, eh?
    I blame the parents you know.
    When they rock them to sleep, they're not using a big enough rock!

Andy T.

LaughingLaughing

Cheers Graeme
  • 10-12-2007 6:19 PM In reply to

• Pushkin
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • London
    • Posts 50
    • Bronze Member

Hi

So its looking like the bv7 mk iii with a bl7.2 wall mounted beats the bv5.  In terms of surround sound speakers which can be wall mounted (to prevent destruction from small child) I only have three choices - BL3, BL4000 and BL6000 with new wall mount option.  

Given about a 50:50 split between music and TV and given they will be paired with BL2 (the only thing on the ground) does anyone have any experience of the difference in sound of the options - thanks
  • 10-13-2007 3:49 AM In reply to

• Beolab
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 535
    • Bronze Member

I have seen BL 8000  wall mounted with out the black heavy "floor sockets". It looked relay nice.. I don´t have the picture left sadly, but it is possible if you wont to... 

And if you go for the BV7 you can read my tread about my (Euro Edition) BV7 BS3 MK III here: http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/thread/53190.aspx 

Regards

BL8000 MkII Black

• 10-13-2007 4:24 AM In reply to

Pushkin:
    Hi

So its looking like the bv7 mk iii with a bl7.2 wall mounted beats the bv5.  In terms of surround sound speakers which can be wall mounted (to prevent destruction from small child) I only have three choices - BL3, BL4000 and BL6000 with new wall mount option.  

Given about a 50:50 split between music and TV and given they will be paired with BL2 (the only thing on the ground) does anyone have any experience of the difference in sound of the options - thanks

Well the only thing I have discovered recently is that I have gone off the BL2 for music! At low levels it is great and adds in my view. At medium volumes it is OK, but at higher volumes it is just not right. We tried my main system (Pentas and BL2) against M100s and discovered that at good volumes, the BL2 just made the bass ponderous and out of control. It sounded better switched off (easy to do). The M100s stayed well controlled though out. For home cinema, the BL2 is fantastic though and I would not be without it.  I would therefore want a front speaker that could deal with bass so that I could switch the BL2 off when listening to music. I don't think the 6000s or the 3s can do this well enough. It is a problem with column speakers! The Pentas do have a fair amount of bass but the top end is quite warm and  less clear than the later active speakers.

I would strongly suggest you go and have an extended listen and I would audition BL6000, BL3s,BL2, BL4000s and BL9s. I would actually suggest buying speakers that will do the front and bass well and leave the rears until finances permit. Wire for them though.

Don't listen to BL5s though. If you do you will be dissatisfied with whatever you get!! Laughing 

• 10-13-2007 5:11 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

Graeme:
    jandyt:

Andy T.

And a half eaten slice of toast, a drink carton straw, a plastic cow boy figure hat, a malteser and a sheet of paper. Items I found in my video player after a two week trip away when my son was about 4.

When my kids were young I had an expensive TV, Hi-Fi, Expensive speakers on stands and no problem with them being touched or damaged. Why? From being babies, they were taught the word NO and what it meant. Consequently if we took them to friends' houses there were no worries about them touching what they shouldn't. Contrasted with friends' children who couldn't keep their hands off and were met with just a look of despair from their parents whose solution consisted of repeatedly lifting the child away only for it to do it again. The words 'no' or 'don't touch' were met with a look of total incomprehensibility by them. In the days prior to remote control, my children asked me to adjust the tv or change channels. It was only when they demonstrated responsibility that they were allowed to do it themselves. Education is not just about sending children to school.  

• 10-13-2007 2:18 PM In reply to

• Pushkin
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • London
    • Posts 50
    • Bronze Member

Well I spent two hours in my B&O store taking Peter's advice and trying out all combinations of speakers - I was fortunate to have all available to try.  

I very interesting experience but raised some questions.  In order of preference for least liked to most liked:

- BL3 & BL2 - this combo does not work for me
    - BL6000 & BL2
    - BL4000 & BL2
    - BL8000 & BL2
    - BL9 (much better than the above and imho does not need the bl2 for music)

I then did the inevitable - I tried the BL5 and yes they are imho worth twice the price of the bl9 - I have listened to them a number of times before but never with my music and never compared with all the rest - the beauty of the sound, clarity and wonderfully balanced base was simply breathtaking.

So a difficult decision because I now know that anything else will not compare but have very low waf for bl5, child unfriendly and not the cheapest - but may have to do it anyway and live without a b&o tv for a bit.

What is the optimal source for the bl5s - does the BS3 have the same digital outs as the bs9000 and does anyone know whether the upcoming bs5 with cater.

• 10-13-2007 4:55 PM In reply to

I told you not to do that!! Laughing I was planning to get some 9s till I heard the 5s against them! No comparison!! Next time I have some spare cash.... 

They are not that child unfriendly. Just tested the WAF - not good I am afraid! Laughing  My wife says a pamper weekend in a posh spa could persuade her!

• 10-13-2007 5:02 PM In reply to

The digital link to the speakers will come from the digital source - such as a CD player. The Beosystem 3 will connect via Powerlink for control purposes and when a non digital source is playing I believe!
  • 10-13-2007 5:22 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

B&O offer two players with a digital output, the BeoCenter 2 and the BeoSound 9000. Either will help you get the best out of the BL5s.

Weekly top artists:                   

Page 1 of 1 (22 items)