in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-11-2007 1:38 AM by Tom. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-10-2007 5:12 PM

Bang & Olufsen wins trade mark case in EU court

Bang & Olufsen wins trade mark case in EU court
    COPENHAGEN (Thomson Financial) - Danish home electronics maker Bang & Olufsen AS has won a case in the European Court of First Instance regarding the trade mark protection of its loudspeaker Beolab 8000.

The EU's trademark and designs registry (OHIM) previously ruled that the loudspeaker was not distinctive enough to constitute a trademark in itself, but the Court annulled the decision, adhering to Bang & Olufsen's arguments.

The loudspeaker, which is shaped like a high, pencil-like cone, is 'truly specific' and can thus be registered as a trade mark, the court said in its ruling earlier today.

RB Boersen news agency said, citing Bang & Olufsen's chief legal officer Kim Bo Hansen, that the decision is important as it will make it easier for the group to protect its designs against piracy.

Bang & Olufsen will now decide on whether to register other products as trade marks, Hansen said.

gustav.sandstrom@thomson.com gs/am

http://www.hemscott.com/news/latest-news/item.do?newsId=51178830601956 

The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

• 10-10-2007 5:22 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

Re: Bang & Olufsen wins trade mark case in EU court

kuyttendaele:

RB Boersen news agency said, citing Bang & Olufsen's chief legal officer Kim Bo Hansen, that the decision is important as it will make it easier for the group to protect its designs against piracy.

Bang & Olufsen will now decide on whether to register other products as trade marks, Hansen said....

This sounds like very important (and of course good) news for B&O! 

But kikinoko-brands will continue to build music systems that look like BS9000 and I am sure there will be some bad copies of BL3 or BL5 around in some years too, as the word "distinctif" can be interpreted in very different ways...

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 10-10-2007 5:29 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

I agree with Tom, this can only be good news.
    Of course there will always be copies, let's hope that this is the first of many similar ca

Poor me, never win owt!

• 10-10-2007 5:44 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Forgive me for being cynical - but hasn't that landmark judgement come a whole thirteen years after they were launched?

If anyone was going to make a direct copy, they would have done it years ago surely?  I'm missing the point though i'm sure, and i really wish B&O all the best in copyrighting their designs.  

Lee
    Smile

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 10-10-2007 6:01 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

You are right, for the BL8000, the judgement comes some 13 years to late. But I think the main "advantage" of this judgement is not for BL8000, but for more recent or future products that look very different from the regular products. (like BL3 or BL5)

• 10-10-2007 7:25 PM In reply to

• joynsyde
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-09-2007
    • Midwest, U.S.A.
    • Posts 130
    • Bronze Member

9 LEE:
    Forgive me for being cynical - but hasn't that landmark judgement come a whole thirteen years after they were launched?

If anyone was going to make a direct copy, they would have done it years ago surely?  I'm missing the point though i'm sure, and i really wish B&O all the best in copyrighting their designs.  

Lee
    Smile

But OHIM was only established in 1999. That would be the soonest B&O could apply for a trademark with that organization. 

...my two cents ~AJ
  • 10-10-2007 10:36 PM In reply to

• expoman
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • United States
    • Posts 222
    • Bronze Member

There is a company I think in China currently making a copy of Beolab 8000.  Maybe that was the reason for this.
  • 10-11-2007 1:38 AM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

expoman:
    There is a company I think in China currently making a copy of Beolab 8000.  Maybe that was the reason for this.
    Is there any company in China that is not making copies of something? Stick out tongue

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)