in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-12-2007 11:32 AM by Dave. 27 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-10-2007 3:04 PM

Serenata the third!

Well I have now had it for a few hours and will be majoring on the music playing abilities and the software. I have got it talking to my Mac, though the Mac thinks, somewhat perversely, that it is a camera! It does however allow me to transfer music tracks - I am working on album covers! So far everyone who has seen it thinks that it is an MP3 player. And they all like the size, shape and looks! The weight is also thought to be an attribute.

The music playing abilities divide into two separate areas.

1.    The playing through the built in speakers. This is surprisingly good but is like a walking poodle – incredible that it does it rather than sounding incredible. The bass is obviously severely lacking and volume is limited.  Nice to have on a desk next to you rather than regarding it as a serious music player. I would have liked to see an FM radio built in – certainly possible as various Samsung phones do have this feature in much smaller phones. The stand-alone speaker would seem to lend itself to this medium, especially with spoken voice channels.

2.    The headphones. Once you listen through these you realise that this is a very serious music player. Sound is far superior to my iPod and I think it is better even than my BS2 – though that is on loan at present! Lots of bass even with the bass lift set to none and lovely detail. To be honest, having listened through the Earset 3 you can doubt if the stand-alone speakers will be used that much! Very easy to use and the interface is very similar to the normal Beoplayer one.  

The Serenata sits in a neat little docking station which looks like a small curved metal plate – the actual support for the phone is hidden by the phone itself. There is only one wire that leads from the stand to a small connection panel which has connections for a USB connection, the headphones and a DC source. The connections all use a bespoke connection which is duplicated on the stand and fits into the base of the phone. The female connection on the base has a sliding cover to stop ingress of dirt. There is supposed to be a line connection cable as well to allow connection to an audio system though this was not included in my pack.

I have discovered a much easier way to transfer music – one can open the Serenata on the Mac like any other drive once it is set to mass storage in the Connect to PC menu. One can then access one’s own Music Library and transfer whole albums or artists directly from one file to another. Quick and easy and no annoying Beoplayer foibles. It doesn’t accept protected AACs – they load on but don’t appear in the menu.

I did try to use a PC and Beoplayer but got a code violation so gave up! The Beoplayer software is a beta version at present and did not recognise the Serenata – the lap top I was using is however less than cutting edge!

• 10-10-2007 3:28 PM In reply to

Re: Serenata the third!

It does play AAC tracks by the way! Just put on a 256 AAC - it doesn't seem to quite know what to make of it! It doesn't transfer the tags - just the track name. Probably is a fix for this - maybe when the promised iTunes plug in is released. Have not managed to get protected AAC to play though!

Not sure that AAC is a good idea as the stereo sounds a bit odd though! May be the track though it sounds OK on my stereo!

The more I listen to the Serenata, the more impressed I am. Simply the best MP3 player I have heard.

I confess to being underwhelmed initially with the phone but familiarity is actually improving matters. As Matt says, a little practice improves texting speeds. The fact you don't press the screen in the main but use the wheel and the centre button means that my sticky paws do not leave marks. The number dial is a little bit special if not any quicker than a keypad. But it certainly attracts interest! I had to go to an Orange shop today and it stopped traffic!

• 10-10-2007 3:39 PM In reply to

The more I read about the Serenata, the better I feel this is going to be a winner for B&O..

Peter, your account of the music player is very interesting particularly where you believe the quality is far better than the ipod.

So, a question, can you sync outlook contacts with the phone ?

Regards Keith....

• 10-10-2007 3:42 PM In reply to

In summarythen:

As an MP3 player - 10/10 - simply the best I have heard. Very easy to use though not without a few limitations - no cue or review during tracks. Not a problem for me but not as flexible as an iPod.

As a music system - 5/10 - it is amusing but I would never use this facility simply because it doesn't reproduce music well enough and it doesn't have a radio in it. With radio, it would be a good transistor alternative. It does however wow bystanders! Used with external speakers, I could believe it would sound very impressive but no remote obviously.

As a phone - 8/10 - growing on me. The ring tones are very classy and the sound quality is stunning. The Earset 3 is easy to use and the microphone seems sensitive. The interface is very friendly and easy to use and transfers information well. The Bluetooth worked very well with my Prius - the first phone so to do!! Worked instantly unlike my Blackberry which clearly hates Toyotas! The screen is clear and informative but nicely simple.

As a package - 8/10 - I would consider this before a Serene certainly. I like the size and feel and the music player is simply brilliant where the camera in the Serene is pretty poor. Would I buy one? Probably not as being useless, I cannot get the internet or email working easily unlike my Blackberry which just works. I would however now consider the Beosound 6 as if it sounds anything like the Serenata is going to surprise a lot of people.

• 10-10-2007 3:45 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Quite supprised, Peter that you are not as impressed as the other two with the on board speaker quality. Might you be expecting to much from it?
    Have you had a "Stereo" 'phonecall yet?
    Spoke to Ian at King Street today and he said, when I asked him if he had one in "We have one on order for you Andy"
    Ha!

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 10-10-2007 3:46 PM In reply to

Keith Saunders:

The more I read about the Serenata, the better I feel this is going to be a winner for B&O..

Peter, your account of the music player is very interesting particularly where you believe the quality is far better than the ipod.

So, a question, can you sync outlook contacts with the phone ?

Yes, though I have not done so as it means adding some more software to my wife's hard pressed PC!  I attach the page - I have put the manual on site! 

• 10-10-2007 3:50 PM In reply to

jandyt:

Quite supprised, Peter that you are not as impressed as the other two with the on board speaker quality. Might you be expecting to much from it?
    Spoke to Ian at King Street today and he said, when I asked him if he had one in "We have one on order for you Andy"
    Ha!

Andy T.

As said - walking poodle! Incredible for the size - but would I listen to it for any length of time? No. I would attach the Earset 3 and listen to Hi-Fi.

Have used it as a phone with the headset -  I spoke to Lee who seemed to be coming from inside my brain - a little unnerving!! Laughing

• 10-10-2007 4:01 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Hah............... all those idiots who didn't rip their music in uncompressed format will suffer when using a device that sounds like this.............DOH!!

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 10-10-2007 4:07 PM In reply to

Interestingly, the Beoplayer Beta has a setting to rip CDs in uncompressed form. Did it have this before?
  • 10-10-2007 4:08 PM In reply to

It also sounded fine at 192kbps to my ears - which are aging by the minute!! Laughing
  • 10-10-2007 4:36 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Peter:
    jandyt:

Ha!

Andy T.

As said - walking poodle! Incredible for the size - but would I listen to it for any length of time? No. I would attach the Earset 3 and listen to Hi-Fi.

Have used it as a phone with the headset -  I spoke to Lee who seemed to be coming from inside my brain - a little unnerving!! Laughing

LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing

I had the exact same feeling when i made my first call with the EarSet 3...  

Your brain kind of makes you look around for the person you are speaking to, and trying to negotiate my way out of the long term car park at Heathrow in the dark and rain with this going on really tested me i can tell you!!

Nice to have the third and final review, and i think it must surely be the most comprehensive on the internet!  Better than Shiny Shiny's "oooohhh - look at THIS" type affair, although the girl was much prettier than Peter, Matt and myself put together! Laughing

The review on bright.nl seemed good, and it was funny watching the clip of her walking out of the evening meal with the phone in her hand as i'd sat next to her and watched her sign for it about 45 seconds before she did that shot! Nice girl, very pleasant and extremely confident.

Lee
    Smile

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 10-10-2007 4:39 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

When does it go back to Struer??

• 10-10-2007 5:16 PM In reply to

Puncher:

Blimey, your not going to send it back, are you? Surely it needs a 4th review?

We've had the 'old guy' (sorry Peter), we've had the 'middle aged guy' (sorry Lee) and we've had the 'young pretender' (jammy git Matt). Surely it needs the early 30s ish plumber to put it through its paces on one of his '24hr On Call' weeks!!! Big Smile

Never Mind The Ball-Cocks www.markmossplumbing.co.uk

A labourer uses his hands
    A tradesman uses his hands and his head
    A craftsman uses his hands, his head and his heart

• 10-10-2007 5:18 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

ArgyleMoss:

Puncher:

Blimey, your not going to send it back, are you? Surely it needs a 4th review?

We've had the 'old guy' (sorry Peter), we've had the 'middle aged guy' (sorry Lee) and we've had the 'young pretender' (jammy git Matt). Surely it needs the early 30s ish plumber to put it through its paces on one of his 24hr 'On Call' weeks!!! Big Smile

I was thinking more the "Jack the Lad, common Geordie-type" who could test the phone's ability to text swear words etcLaughing

• 10-10-2007 5:23 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Perhaps we could find some friendly Driving Instructor to put it through it's paces.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 10-10-2007 5:29 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

jandyt:
    Perhaps we could find some friendly Driving Instructor to put it through it's paces.

You could be the first person arrested for speaking on one whilst driving - cool!!

• 10-10-2007 5:34 PM In reply to

Puncher:

jandyt:

You could be the first person arrested for speaking on one whilst driving - cool!!

Andy doesn't drive, he just sits in the passenger seat Whistle

• 10-10-2007 5:37 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

ArgyleMoss:
    Puncher:

jandyt:

Andy doesn't drive, he just sits in the passenger seat Whistle

Ahh ....... but can you still be charged because of the dual controls???

• 10-10-2007 5:42 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Yes. Maximum fine £2000 plus three points and struck off the register too, probably.
    In theory, I am still in charge of the vehicle.
    I would never dream of taking a call without handsfree! I am a profeshnial.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 10-10-2007 5:49 PM In reply to

Oh well, thats Andy out of the running to do the 4th review Big Smile

By the way, the three reviews that have been done are brilliant. Well done Lee, Matt and Peter.

• 10-10-2007 8:53 PM In reply to

• PentaIII
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-26-2007
    • Australia
    • Posts 83
    • Bronze Member

Thanks for the great review!  I do wish that B&O come up with a way to control the Serenata's music functions by using a Beo4/5 when hooked up with a stereo, especially if the sound is as good as you claim it to be.
  • 10-10-2007 10:26 PM In reply to

• expoman
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • United States
    • Posts 222
    • Bronze Member

Peter, 

Any word on the retail price?  Some of the dealers must know by now I would think.

• 10-11-2007 1:43 AM In reply to

No exact price that I have heard - however £999 would seem a possibility. I forgot to add, it has a really rather good currency converter on board!
  • 10-12-2007 3:15 AM In reply to

• petz
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 09-30-2007
    • Posts 47
    • Bronze Member

Hello,

EUR 1.410 for Luxembourg and EUR 1.485 for Belgium. Announced for end of the year in Luxembourg.

Smile

• 10-12-2007 6:18 AM In reply to

• V13WNG
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-11-2007
    • Eastbourne, East Sussex, ENG
    • Posts 200
    • Bronze Member

Serenata will be priced at £1000 (give or take depending on which dealer you are with) in the UK. Discovered this at a store a few days back now, as B&O sent out an email as I was sitting there!!! Whistle

Muchos Gracias Cool

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >