in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-06-2007 5:22 PM by LongView. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-20-2007 6:27 AM

BeoPort and Windows 64-Bit

I've posted on the official B&O forums about this without any official response so I thought I'd try here to see what other peoples experiences have been.  I am running Vista Ultimate x86 (32-Bit) only because there is no x64 (64-Bit) version of BeoPort.  All my hardware has x64 drivers and all my software is capable of running on an x64 Windows system.

I have contacted B&O twice directly by email and both times there response has been that there are no plans to convert BeoPort to x64 which I find very dissapointing.  Are there other BeoPort users being forced to stay x86 just because of this?

I feel let down by B&O because with the release of Vista, and the next version of Windows rumoured to be x64 only, its soon going to be time befor x64 goes mainstream.  I've also invested heavily in B&O hardware to build a nice system around BeoPort and this feels like a waste.

The fact that B&O could stop developing BeoPort at any time has always left me slightly nervous so I certainly hope that should they decide to do so they release the source code into the open community.

So anyone else got any opinions on BeoPort and x64 Windows (XP or Vista)?

Filed under:
  • 04-23-2007 2:48 PM In reply to

Re: BeoPort and Windows 64-Bit

The same with me. Upgraded initially to Vista 64 bits, but could not get beoport working.

So bought an additional 32 bit version (I like sponsoring MS....) which made it work again.

Not happy with B&O, who did not answer my emails even.

• 04-23-2007 8:56 PM In reply to

• SWISS_2
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Neuchatel, Suisse
    • Posts 552
    • Gold Member

Beoport works fine with us using XP. We run it through a BS 3200 with our Plasma connected via RGB, and the PHOTO / VIDEO clips are excellent. In fact, when compared to My Photos, the quality is enhanced using Beoport. Sound is BL 4000 in the living room, and BL 3500 and BL 2000 linked in other rooms.

I won't go into the merits or problems associated with VISTA here, as others continue to discuss this hot topic all over the Internet. Given the fact that the Hollywood /Entertainment Industry was well involved in the development of VISTA might indicate a potential operational problem arising with N. MUSIC, N.RADIO, and potentially PHOTOS, depending where the source originated on Beoport.  I can only say is that I've seen it, tried it, and it isn't for us right now. I would think that B & O would be wise to wait a bit until some problems with VISTA are resolved by Microsoft.

If B & O wants to do something, it can. Beoport included.

• 04-24-2007 3:47 PM In reply to

N. MUSIC, N.RADIO, and PHOTOS all work perfectly here (am currently listening to Radio1 using N.RADIO) so no issues with Vista on that front.  Given that it works on x86 (32-bit) there is no reason why they couldn't develop drivers for x64 (64-bit) but I also accept that there has to be a reason for them to find the resources necessary to do that.

I dont want to get into a Vista is great/sucks debate either but please don't get suckered by all the bad information out there about Vista.  Yes of course there is updated DRM mostly geared towards the new HD formats to ensure the data stream is secure between the media and the display to stop people intercepting it for piracy.  What Vista doesn't do is suddenly copy protect all your existing music and video files as some incorrectly informed people have suggested (I know because I've read about those people).  All my music that I've ripped from CD and personal movies are intact and no DRM has been added to them.

I'm running two Vista systems here one the main PC which is where I would like to run x64 but am forced to stay x86 due to the BeoPort software and another in the living room that records all our TV using the new Vista Media Center.  I even copied over the TV I'd recorded on the main computer before the living room machine was ready and they play without issues so no added DRM there either.

As I've said the likelyhood is the next version of Windows will be x64 only so B&O need to get ahead of the game in my opinion.

• 04-24-2007 7:38 PM In reply to

• SWISS_2
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Neuchatel, Suisse
    • Posts 552
    • Gold Member

Good points, Longview.

Curious: With Vista, how do your VIDEO clips appear ?  Are you using Beo 4 to control PHOTOS on Beoport ? 

I know this is a file program option, but I must use a mouse to control the PHOTO program. Hmmm.  It would seem that if N.MUSIC and N.RADIO can be controlled via the BEO 4, so could PHOTOS, correct ?

By the way, if this is of interest, I was told by B&O Technical Support that the Beoport does not recognize music played from the PC on DVD or CD. ( I was repeatedly taking the earphone jack in and out of the back of the PC like other members, here on the Forum )

Then, testing things in and out, I found that the DVD and CD sound was coming in on N. RADIO. I now leave the stereo jack where it is, turn the N.RADIO to a listed station that is off the air or not accessible with the BEO 4, and enjoy a DVD or CD playing in this mode.

• 05-04-2007 6:11 AM In reply to

I listen to football commentary on BBC Scotland through their web site which is not simultaneously broadcast on radio. To do this I make sure beoport is configured to mix sounds, then I hit netmusic on the sidebar 'remote control', make sure the sound is down to zero on the same remote control, then hit net music in a link room. The sound card volume must be set higher on the computer. Hey presto, it works, I can stream this and any sound from internet sites.

Brian

• 05-12-2007 4:47 PM In reply to

You could download the free program from Microsoft named Virtual PC 2007. This allows you to boot a XP session under Vista 64bit. I assume Beoport will run in this session.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/default.mspx

• 05-12-2007 6:52 PM In reply to

Zwets:

You could download the free program from Microsoft named Virtual PC 2007. This allows you to boot a XP session under Vista 64bit. I assume Beoport will run in this session.

That might be a viable solution, although far from ideal, except for the fact that Virtual PC and Virtual Server do not support USB devices. There are some virtual solutions that do support USB but I'm not sure if they're free.

• 07-11-2007 12:36 PM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Bredene near Ostend-Belgium
    • Posts 143
    • Bronze Member

LongView:
    Zwets:

That might be a viable solution, although far from ideal, except for the fact that Virtual PC and Virtual Server do not support USB devices. There are some virtual solutions that do support USB but I'm not sure if they're free.

Don't worry guys, they (B&O) will come up with a solution.

I am running Linux. So I keep dreaming about Beoport.Tongue TiedTongue TiedTongue Tied 

Yes, I kown my spelling is horrible… Huh?

• 07-13-2007 4:13 PM In reply to

Well good to know. I use Vista Home Premium 64bit. It works great and a bit better than XP.

The system does have mediaplayer and remote for the Asus motherboard which are working good together. So far the Beosystem 6000/8000 is not connected.

I will wait for the Beoport.

• 08-06-2007 5:22 PM In reply to

I think it will be a long wait.  I've disabled BeoPort on my x86 Vista Ultimate as it causes a BSOD when entering sleep.  At this rate I'll be selling my BeoPort and the nice B&O speakers I purchased to go with it.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)