in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-29-2008 5:28 PM by wonderfulelectric. 47 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (48 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-08-2007 12:55 AM In reply to

Re: Serenata Review #2 - Using Serenata in the Real World!!!

Very entertaining review, in depth and perceptive! Had me laughing and nodding, which is a lot more than the tech-spec's reviews one ordinarily reads will ever manage to do.

• 10-08-2007 3:29 AM In reply to

• Kevin
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-15-2007
    • Posts 1,256
    • Founder

Great review!

Sounds like the phone will be a great success with the market B&O seem to be going for.

Thanks Matt,

cheers

Kevin 

• 10-08-2007 4:08 AM In reply to

• GSHaigh
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • North West UK
    • Posts 163
    • Bronze Member

Matt

A FANTASTIC review,  I really enjoyed reading it, thank you!  I'm with you I think for the money and the punishment my Nokia and iPod receive then I'd be too scared to own this.

Greg

• 10-08-2007 7:04 AM In reply to

Will it cost more then €500,- you think ?
  • 10-08-2007 7:10 AM In reply to

• V13WNG
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-11-2007
    • Eastbourne, East Sussex, ENG
    • Posts 200
    • Bronze Member

Definately. I would expect it to cost closer to €1300!!! The Serene retails at around £850 (€1200) in the UK, and I can't believe that Serenata could be any less, as it's twice as good, and has the added bonus of being a portable music player, too.

However, I do think that if Bang & Olufsen break the £1000 mark they'll price it out of the market altogether.

Thank you Kevin, GSHaigh and Soundproof for your comments - I hate boring reviews, and thought I might appeal to the lighter side of the membership! Hopefully I've done that!

Muchos Gracias Cool

• 10-08-2007 8:35 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

jazz:

good luck with that.... lol

I have been fortunate enough to drive an RS4 and that was an awesome experience.

I have also been fortunate enough to exerience the Advanced Sound System in the A8. All i can say is WOW...

jazz

Wow an RS4! Surprise That would have been a mind-blowing drive, Jazz!!! 

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 10-08-2007 9:42 AM In reply to

Matt, great review and all I can say is, you should get a job doing this on LSAV's website, for all your customers (Lee could hire you out to B&O as well!!!)

You mentioned you didn't know what the pc studio software was for well I have an existing Samsung and it basically manages your mobile content between your PC and phone, such as music files and contact details.  Same as Nokia's pc software.  It also allows you o use your smansung mobile (and I assume the Serenata will be the same as it has HSDPA) as a mobile broadband connection.  I am currently using mine here at home whilst suffering from a cold and hence catching up on Beoworld info and praying my local dealer emails me to say that they have a Serenata in store for me to go look at!

Thanks again to Matt and Lee for allowoiung us to get the real view of the product.

Cheers Ricardo

History - it's just one thing after another!

• 10-08-2007 10:24 AM In reply to

• V13WNG
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-11-2007
    • Posts 200
    • Bronze Member

Thank you Ricardo! I believe dealers in the UK will have Serenata in their stores in a month or so. I met one at the weekend who was hugely excited about being one of the first to see it (you know who you are Wink), and was hugely impressed!

A few of his customers also got a quick play and feedback was extremely good!

Muchos Gracias Cool

• 10-08-2007 1:47 PM In reply to

Hi & thanks for this second review, which brings even more "practical" everyday information about what one can (or can't!) do with Serenata.

The texting issue is my biggest concern, I still wonder why on earth couldn' t they make the whole display touch-sensitive? This would have made dialing/texting 100 times easier! And quicker..

Now I have another very practical question: when using it as a phone, it seems you have you ear on the metal upper part: how does it feel? cold? hot? My concern is: I live on a tropical island, and already get burnt with the aluminium gear knob in my car & the sunglasses branches during summer, so will I get burnt with Serenata too?? On the other hand, won't it be freezing cold agains your ear when used in Scandinavia??!

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 10-08-2007 1:55 PM In reply to

• V13WNG
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-11-2007
    • Posts 200
    • Bronze Member

Hello Chris,

I live in Eastbourne, England, which is locally known as "The Sunshine Coast", which is English for "only rains 364 days per year".

Seriously, though, our micro-climate couldn't be more boring if it tried, and it is neither cold enough or warm enough for me to answer your query!

I would imagine if you left Serenata in the sun it could get fairly warm, but you could counteract that with the carry bag, or a leather case (when they become available).

You could of course just pop the speaker out and use that instead!

As for the touch-screen issue, the whole screen is only around 1.5inches tall, so there is not enough room to fit a full keyboard in. I sent my last text on the phone this morning though, and found that, surprisingly, I could spank one out in pretty much the same time as I can on my Nokia!

Honestly - give it a few days and it'll be like a faithful labrador at your side!

Matt Laughing

Muchos Gracias Cool

• 10-08-2007 3:25 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

A14BEO:

Honestly - give it a few days and it'll be like a faithful labrador at your side!

Matt Laughing

So.................... your conclusion is.........it's a dog!Stick out tongueBig Smile

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 10-08-2007 5:06 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Puncher:
    A14BEO:

Matt Laughing

So.................... your conclusion is.........it's a dog!Stick out tongueBig Smile

oooh.. harsh!

LaughingLaughing

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 10-09-2007 2:46 PM In reply to

See a movie of the Serenata on Bright.nl
    Dutch magazine now with the Serenata on review (in Dutch).

And in the movie is a short discussion with CEO of Bang & Olufsen - Torben Ballegaard Sørensen.
    I would advise you to take a look, even when most of it is in Dutch.

http://www.bright.nl/dinsdag-designdag-serenata
  • 10-09-2007 5:28 PM In reply to

• Munin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 99
    • Bronze Member

Coolskin:

And in the movie is a short discussion with CEO of Bang & Olufsen - Torben Ballegaard Sørensen.

I UNDERSTAND DUTCH!!!!! COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

I didn't know that  

What a wonderful telephone! But ... how compatible is it with Mac?

Music <> iTunes. Does this work and what about DRM-protected tunes? ... 

Calendar <> iCal. I know it's built for Outlook but that doesn't help much.

I am strongly considering this phone instead of an iPhone ... but do I dare?

Are the limitations as a PDA too severe? I need to write down some notes, and

put some limited text in the calender ... and I need synchronization!!

Comments on this pleeasse

/M 

• 10-09-2007 9:17 PM In reply to

1450 euros in Italy!
  • 10-09-2007 9:59 PM In reply to

• Toby
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Hertfordshire United Kingdom
    • Posts 136
    • Bronze Member

Thanks Matt I loved your review very much, I see Lee has been a very good teacher to you.

I also hope your girlfriends parents have forgiven you.Big Smile

Cheers. 

Kind Regards Toby
    I better do my bit and suspend my siggy.
  • 10-10-2007 4:21 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Coolskin:

This is the girl i sat next to at the evening meal!  Her photographer/cameraman had an iPhone, but was very embarassed and careful not to show it off until i prized it out of his hands!

Laughing

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 10-10-2007 5:22 AM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Interesting point, the girl asked TBS if we could expect more from this collaboration (B&O + Samsung)
    TBS intimated there could be "one every second year" Hmm.
    Thanks for the link, Coolskin.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 10-10-2007 10:49 AM In reply to

• PentaIII
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-26-2007
    • Australia
    • Posts 83
    • Bronze Member

Thanks for the thorough review, although my partner is less impressed since my desire to buy this handset has skyrocketed!  I just hope Australia gets this one more hastily than the Serene.

• 10-10-2007 3:58 PM In reply to

There are several real worlds.  Although I can't buy the Serenata because I live in the US, I have been reading all the reviews and comments. When the Serene became available, I booked a flight to Paris and ordered the Serene even though there would be some problems using it in the US.  I have an iPhone now and the Serene is the standby phone.

To those who asked if the Serenata is Mac friendly, it is not.  You can export MP3 music from iTunes to be played on the Seranata but not the DRM protected songs.  That is changing because many EMI songs on iTunes are not DRM protected.  The contacts file on a Mac have to be copied manually.  The is also true on a Serene but is manageable.  Texting on a Serene and a Seranata is a painful experience.  Texting can be done but it is not easy.  I noticed on the Serenata, that dialing a number is cumbersome.  It is true most numbers are dialed from the contacts list but not always.

Do I like the Serenata?  Yes because that B&O person inside me thinks the design is great and the sound is wonderful. I am still going to Paris soon and will longingly look at the Serenata.  However I think this time I will resist buying the Serenata.

To those who are contemplating an iPhone or the latest Nokia phone and trying to compare them to a Serenata remember they are all very different.  Serenata is an affair of the heart! Hence the name.........it sings to your inner you. (This is somewhat silly but I think it is true of most B&O products.)

Bill 

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 08-29-2008 2:08 PM In reply to

You're points are absolutely true. Owning Serenata is more of a statement than just a phone.
  • 08-29-2008 2:11 PM In reply to

Your points are absolutely correct, owning Serenata is not just having a phone, but a statement, or showing off a lifestyle. I love it so much.
  • 08-29-2008 5:28 PM In reply to

What is the real market for Serenata I wonder. I still don't really get the phone. It's a phone that is more like a I dunno... Personally I think the concept is a bit off. I will much prefer If B&O produces a cellphone that is like their cordless phones, with buttons and all. What about producing a phone that emits the lowest radiation and just plain good reception and sound quality? That will totally be a phone I will buy.
Page 2 of 2 (48 items) < Previous 1 2