in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-21-2007 8:45 AM by koning. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-20-2007 4:18 AM

BeoLab 9 review in German stereoplay 5/07

Hi,

I have picked up a copy of the latest stereoplay magazine. In there was a review of the BeoLab 9. Result: Absolute Spitzenklasse (best ranking class), 58 of 70 points. 

• Very favourable in comparison to a lot more expensive active speakers.
    • "In relation to size the dynamics and bass power are exceptional"
    • They praise the acoustic lens by saying that even outside the classic stereo triangle the sound is homogeneous, powerful and present.

Tested with Lyra Connoisseur pre-amp and Naim Audio CD 555 CD-Player via B&O Din-Cinch Adaptor. Interesting, the article mentions that only for bass ICE Power is used, for mids and highs traditional 100 Watts hybrid amps are used (they suggest better tonal qualities as explanation).

Cheers,
    Frank

Filed under:
  • 04-20-2007 9:06 AM In reply to

• Beobird
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 506
    • Gold Member

Re: BeoLab 9 review in German stereoplay 5/07

it's very good to place such B&O reviews in hifi magazines Smile, because most of those audiophiles are thinking that B&O stuff sounds like crap

We Can't Get Enough B&O Stuff...

• 04-20-2007 9:18 AM In reply to

I think the Beolab 3 / 5 / 9 are all world-class in their own niche. BL5 is world-class period.
    I think B&O are totally exonerated by moving away from the "glossy toy" concept to the "classy audiophile for those with a life" concept. I am sure with these type of loudspeakers they will sell more and more - especially to the non-B&O fraternity. I think those of us who want ultra-thin columns or wall mounts are so wrong...so yesterday IMO.
    Now if only they could do the same with the sources.
    10%
  • 04-20-2007 9:19 AM In reply to

The Beolab 9 uses the basic format of the Beolab 1 - hence the ICE for the bass and AB for the mid and treble. Same basic chassis.
  • 04-20-2007 9:19 AM In reply to

Now if only the webmasters can seek out a way to let me insert blank lınes in this forum..........
    10%
  • 04-20-2007 9:22 AM In reply to

Peter:
    The Beolab 9 uses the basic format of the Beolab 1 - hence the ICE for the bass and AB for the mid and treble. Same basic chassis.
    ....but totally different sound and to me, blows the BL1,s clean away (despite my reservations on the AB amps)
    10%
  • 04-20-2007 9:27 AM In reply to

Beobird:
    it's very good to place such B&O reviews in hifi magazines Smile, because most of those audiophiles are thinking that B&O stuff sounds like crap

It seems that B&O have changed their policies and supply test equipment. You see them reviewed more often these days.

Frank 

• 04-20-2007 9:50 AM In reply to

"It seems that B&O have changed their policies and supply test equipment. You see them reviewed more often these days."

I dont know about that. I always thought that B&O were always very big in inviting journalists / critics to Struer for technical press releases. They pick the "serious" press first with subsequent cascade to the syndicates later. I'm guessing the new equipment (read loudspeakers) is genuinely more interesting to the wider range of the hi-fi industry. i.e the price/sound ratio is within their acceptabilities.
    10%
  • 04-20-2007 11:26 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

BeoLab 9s and 5s all deserve as many stars as can be given, they're all first class speakers, maybe even BeoLab 3s. B&O needs to rethink their plans if they're going to be releasing more speakers like the BeoLab 4s though. For £900, you can get a much, MUCH better sound! My £250 active studio monitors sound MILES better. They're great for (very pricey, but stylish and functional) computer speakers, but B&O really needs to stop marketing BeoLab 4s and similar as 'hifi speakers', because that's something they simply aren't. Audiophiles are seeing B&O marketing a pair of mid-range active HIFI speakers, and conseqeuntly being INCREDIBLY disappointed.

It's moves like this that really damage B&O's reputation IMO. Market them as computer speakers or rear speakers in a small surround sound setup, and overall they'd be far better off. Would probably boost sales of BeoLab 4000s as well, helping to persuade people to move up to the next level in the range.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 04-20-2007 1:12 PM In reply to

What's the reason to take another cd player en amp for testing the beolab9???
  • 04-20-2007 2:27 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

koning:

i think they try to test all speakers in the same circumstances. taking a b&o amp and player for the bl9 and another one for any other speaker would give them a false image and would make it difficult to compare speakers.

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 04-20-2007 4:52 PM In reply to

smito:

koning:

i think they try to test all speakers in the same circumstances. taking a b&o amp and player for the bl9 and another one for any other speaker would give them a false image and would make it difficult to compare speakers.

That's right, the pre-amp and CD player is their reference for speaker testing.

Frank

• 04-21-2007 8:45 AM In reply to

If you use another (high-end) cd player and amp would the sound also be better?
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)