in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-06-2007 4:16 AM by Beofan2. 58 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (59 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-04-2007 8:05 AM In reply to

Re: BeoWorld Presents... Serenata!

9 LEE:

The scroll wheel is finely turned aluminium and is indented so your fingertip sits comfortably in the middle of it. A beautiful design feature, with the eye to detail we love about B&O. In the centre is the button that takes you to the main menu with a simple, high quality feeling click. Very nice, and very B&O. Before you start about Apple and the scroll wheel, let's remember the BeoCom 6000 was devised in 1995 please..Wink

And the MCP 5500 in 1986!!!

http://www.beoworld.org/prod_details.asp?pid=699

The purist would tell me that the MCP wheel was not used to navigate, but still it had multiple function depending on the context: Volume, Bass, Treeble...

B&O had understood that when we moved from analog to digital, the little buttons where not the best thing to control certain features.

p.

• 10-04-2007 11:50 AM In reply to

• Ericvr6
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 205
    • Bronze Member

nice review Lee

Clear and without any B&O prejudice

nice that beoworld has the chance to report the seranata in this way

thanks Lee for all the work this review has taken until now

gr eric

• 10-04-2007 1:00 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Oh Lee, what can i say! You are cool buddy, SO cool!

Look, i think this just might be 2007's 'BeoLab 5' as far as achievements by B&O go. The speaker idea absolutely facinates me.  You watch, other phone companys will try this concept in upcoming phones. The amount of times i see moles on pulic tranport listening to their pop music through their phones loudspeaker with their mates - is becoming rather prevalent.
    Annoying too (i often wonder if god gave them ears that function properly). Super Angry

It sounds like a REALLY good value piece of kit, i can't wait to get one.

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 10-04-2007 1:11 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Southern CA
    • Posts 137
    • Bronze Member

jonnyb:

Hi Peter

Some good points regarding the price there, but I should point out that the iPhone will be £269 in the UK, rather than £400.

I already have my A8s that I'll be using with my iPhone so that's my earphones sorted out. My current Orange contract costs me about £25 a month so moving to a £35 O2 contract with free wi-fi at 605 spots in London will make it worth it.

It certainly won't end up costing me the earth compared to buying a Serenata and sticking with Orange.

Still, the Serenata looks lovely and if the iPhone wasn't coming out I'd consider it. I'm especially intrigued to hear what the music sounds like through the speaker.

The A8s dont fit in the iPhone. You have to get new A8s with the modified plug so the fit. I rather get an earset 3, it has the control button and a microphne. A8s wont do you much if you want to make a phone call. 
    -Alex
  • 10-04-2007 1:27 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Some of your questions answered...

Does it have an FM radio, or just digital music playback?

No, just Digital Music Playback i'm afraid.

I also heard about a car holder, what is this? Just a holder, or a car-styled docking station with proper power & audio in/outputs?

Ermm.. it doesn't appear to be in my kit!!  I'll chase that one up!

B&O talked about the "line in" connection to your car receiver or even to bigger BeoSounds, someone even talked about BeoLink integration: is it Masterlink connection or simple line output on the docking station? What are the audio connections on the phone and on the base?

Good question, and in the manual it says "Useful Hint... It is also possible to connect the phone to your Bang & Olufsen audio system setup. Use the enclosed line output to do so."  However, it's a complete fib - i never got one!!!  Looking at it logically, it will slot into the same connection port as the Earset 3 - but as i don't have one i can't tell you yet!  I am told though, that you use the 'line in' to your speakers, but i'll have to check and get back to you.

I find the ringtones ridiculous, so can you use one of your music tracks as a ringtone?

Ha! - i'm not exactly bowled over by them either.  We have searched high and low in the Menu's and we can't find any way of using a downloaded track as a ringtone.  However, this may be deliberate as 'Barbie Girl' by Aqua blasting out from such a beautiful creation may not be fitting! Laughing

So as i understand, the navigation is done with the wheel, and you touch the display to come to "Music" or "More". So is this touch functionality just this? Or is the touch screen also useable in other ways? For example to select a menu item? 

No, the touch screen is just for Music, and More - plus for help when you are composing and sending messages in the form of upper/lower case and symbols. If you look at the bottom line on my image of the texting section of the review, you will see the 'abc' plus the up arrow and 'send' which are all touch sensitive as mentioned. As for the 'More' and 'Music' - the touch screen only opens this menu - and then you need to use the scroll wheel.

Two questions, Is the sound better than in an iPod with A8? Is there any compatibility with iTunes?

Yes, it sounds better to me with A8's - as did the BeoSound 2, but there is no compatibility with itunes yet.  I seem to recall hearing someone say they are working on that though, but don't quote me!

Any idea about the price?

I clearly heard Torben Ballegaard Sorensen say "one thousand and thirty Euros" and even wrote this down as he said it..  However, that would be £725, which is a far cry from £1000 as mentioned. Maybe he read it wrong and meant 1300 Euros, not 1030 ?

Serenata question - have you used it with the PC studio? It would be interesting to know how well that process goes (certainly in the case of entering phone books etc it would be done here rather than with the phone itself). It will also allow Matt to fill it full of "trendy, young folk friendly" tunes for his pub demo on Friday.

Matt will be hooking it up to his PC over the next couple of days and testing the software. He will include his findings in his very own 'younger users' report.. Laughing

Is it in the shops yet?? - It would be cool if you or Peter could demo it to your local dealers!

I've read it will be in the shops at the end of the month - but i've not really been told when it's available.  As for the demo at my local dealer, neither Peter nor myself are very 'close' to ours!

Haven't I read somewhere that it is available from Vodaphone only??

If you did - it was rubbish!  The phone is unlocked for all networks, but due to internal software or whatever they call it, it won't be able to be used in Korea or the US yet.

Does it have HSDPA as I use my existing very inferior Samsung mobile as my mobile broadband connection to my laptop and it works if signal strength is 3.5G!  I have been looking for a new phone that would be a good portable personal music player, and the fact it comes with stereo headset, then i can just carry one device that will do everything for me Big Smile

Gosh - err.. i don't think so. It's not in the specs, but if anyone would like to check and let me know i'd be grateful..

Does it take an SD card?

No - no SD card slots.

--------------------

Hope this may have answered at least a few of these questions!

Lee

Smile

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 10-04-2007 1:50 PM In reply to

This is probably unlikely, but I figured I'd ask just the same.  In MTP connection mode to a PC running BeoPlayer, is there any setting to output audio to the Serenata's speaker?  In other words, basically using the Serenata's speaker instead of those attached or built into your PC.

Ideally, I would have liked to see a line input on the Serenata's dock connection so you could connect any source to it.  The Serenata's speaker is probably better than any other ultra-portable speaker out there and most laptop speakers.  While output only through BeoPlayer would be less useful, it would be better than nothing

Jeff

• 10-04-2007 2:08 PM In reply to

• jonnyb
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-06-2007
    • London, UK
    • Posts 123
    • Bronze Member

Alex:
    The A8s dont fit in the iPhone. You have to get new A8s with the modified plug so the fit. I rather get an earset 3, it has the control button and a microphne. A8s wont do you much if you want to make a phone call. 

The A8s will fit the iPhone if you wittle away a little bit of the plastic around the plug. The A8s will also be fine for making calls - OK they don't have a mic but you can use the phone to speak through and the voice of your caller will come through the A8s in 'stereo'. That'll be fine for me.

Have a look here:

http://www.bobbynishimura.com/off-the-record/Bobby%20Off-The-Record/Blog/8E0F8364-253B-412F-94AF-BF9B7F3EFBB4.html 

btw, I take it the Earset 3 has a proprietary connection that means you can only use it on the Serenata...?

• 10-04-2007 2:43 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

btw, I take it the Earset 3 has a proprietary connection that means you can only use it on the Serenata...?

Ha ha ha!! - I was waiting for that one to be asked. So much so that i put it to B&O yesterday, and they are getting back to me. I asked if it would have an adaptor like the Earset 1 to enable use with other phones - and i'll let you know as soon as i hear back.

Lee
    Smile

• 10-04-2007 3:28 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Southern CA
    • Posts 137
    • Bronze Member

EarSet 3 will be made into a standard jack version just like EarSet 1 has a Serene version and a Standard version. 

Ive used my A8s with my iphone but i really want ES3 for the mic and the control button. 

We should have ES3 standard version right in time for the holidays here in the US
    -Alex
  • 10-04-2007 8:35 PM In reply to

• Beolab
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 535
    • Bronze Member

Serenata = Big and Clumsy with "transistor radio sound"

It´s to big, to difficult to navigate when you are at the run, and it´s doesn't look so good eider..

I think B&O are going to have a struggle to sell Serenata! It is not a business or teenager phone!? I can´t see the person ho are going to bye it?

So no Serenata for me. .. I like my Serene and Motorola V3i better...The phones might bee older and out of date and more and more, but i the V3 are simple to use and slim and smal...( all alu also..) 

Regards 

BL8000 MkII Black

• 10-04-2007 10:47 PM In reply to

• Toby
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Hertfordshire United Kingdom
    • Posts 136
    • Bronze Member

Lee I loved your review it told me everything I needed to know with background info and excellent examples.  Now can you do cars and helicopters a s well please?

Looking forward to oggleing it at Nick's shop next time I am in the West country. 

Kind Regards Toby
    I better do my bit and suspend my siggy.
  • 10-04-2007 11:17 PM In reply to

I have one big request for Lee: would it be possible to copy the user guide from the CD ROM that came with the Serenata and put it on line? The official website's user guide is just a "getting started" intro, and it is not as detailed as the one on the CD ROM..

That would be great !

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 10-05-2007 2:20 AM In reply to

Well Lee, this is a fantastic review and very comprehensive,

One person in the thread did ask if it had HSDPA and the answer is Yes HSDPA 2100 as per your technical Spec on the first post.

An important question for me is sync'ing with Outlook which I am sure it will, but I don't think I saw any comments in that area. Like most people these days I would not even consider entering phone numbers into my address book from the keypad.

One thing is for sure, because of your detailed review, many magazine reviews are likely to use this as a source of information for their articles, you need to make sure you receive any credits related to such articles. I know that there would have been a lot of press in Berlin, but writing a constructive review even with a press pack is not easy.

Perhaps the only real problem that some people may have is the physical size of the phone, whilst not big, its bigger than many it would be compared too.

This is properly the first B&O product talk'ed about where we have detailed information and review before we have actually seen the product itself.

Anyway, I am pleased its not an B&O iphone, its an unlocked phone which means it will work on any network and it is quad band meaning it will work everywhere including the US on the 1900 Mhz band. I think it will do well.

Will I buy one, not sure, it seems to have the features I would expect and want, but my current Sony Ericsson K800i has those features as well and it cost me nothing. Clearly, it does not have the B&O style and for many of us that is important, but how important..

Regards Keith....

• 10-05-2007 3:49 AM In reply to

I am not a heavy user of mobile phones and rarely have strong opinions on them, but I really don't like my K800i !

On the plus side it is loaded with features and has far and away the best camera I have ever seen on a mobile, but visually and ergonomically it is a bit of a nightmare.

It is forever turning itself on when I put it in my pocket, and it is chunky and ugly. And I can't see the joystick lasting very long.

The serenata is the first B&O mobile that I have a strong urge to own, but I simply wouldn't use it enough to justify the expense,  although even now there is a voice in the back of my head telling me by 5G iPod is looking a little tatty these days.....Big Smile

Simon

• 10-05-2007 4:25 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Alex:
    EarSet 3 will be made into a standard jack version just like EarSet 1 has a Serene version and a Standard version. 

Ive used my A8s with my iphone but i really want ES3 for the mic and the control button. 

We should have ES3 standard version right in time for the holidays here in the US

Well, i've just had an email from B&O that there are no plans yet for versions of the Earset 3 with other plugs or adaptors similar to the Earset 1.  That's from the 'horses mouth' so to speak, so it's not hearsay!

Lee
    Smile

• 10-05-2007 5:47 AM In reply to

Lee thanks for the replies to our questions!

Someone asked what Samsung PC Studio was like, well I sue it with my current Samsung Mobile, and it is very simple to use, for copying from your phone to your PC and back.

My local dealer here in Bath has just emailed me to say that they are have been told it will be for sale in November Sad So looks like Lee is a very lucky chap to have one now!Stick out tongue

I have now attached a screen shot of the Samsung PC Studio software!

History - it's just one thing after another!

• 10-05-2007 7:30 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Chrisreunion:

I have one big request for Lee: would it be possible to copy the user guide from the CD ROM that came with the Serenata and put it on line? The official website's user guide is just a "getting started" intro, and it is not as detailed as the one on the CD ROM..

That would be great !

Hi Chris.

I'm sure it might fall into Peters CD Drive when he gets it an accidentally find it's way into the Manuals Section for Gold and Silver members to have a peek at!

Smile

• 10-05-2007 7:38 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

rgbyhkr:

This is probably unlikely, but I figured I'd ask just the same.  In MTP connection mode to a PC running BeoPlayer, is there any setting to output audio to the Serenata's speaker?  In other words, basically using the Serenata's speaker instead of those attached or built into your PC.

Ideally, I would have liked to see a line input on the Serenata's dock connection so you could connect any source to it.  The Serenata's speaker is probably better than any other ultra-portable speaker out there and most laptop speakers.  While output only through BeoPlayer would be less useful, it would be better than nothing

Jeff

Here is the official answer to your question Jeff.

You are not able to playback music when connected to the PC and therefore not use it as an external speaker for other devices.

Oh, and here's why i didn't get the bits in my Serenata pack!  The Car Holder is optional extra accessory which will be available at launch, but wasn't available in time for the press samples. The Car Holder will have the same connection possibilities (same multiplug) as the desk-top charger.

The audio cable was missing on all samples as they were not ready to distribute, but this will be standard in the basic package of Serenata at launch.. Someone else will have to review that when they get theirs!

Lee

Smile

• 10-05-2007 9:02 AM In reply to

9 LEE:
    Chrisreunion:

That would be great !

Hi Chris.

I'm sure it might fall into Peters CD Drive when he gets it an accidentally find it's way into the Manuals Section for Gold and Silver members to have a peek at!

Smile

!!! Rendered speechless by the very thought! 

• 10-05-2007 9:08 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

LaughingLaughing

• 10-05-2007 5:57 PM In reply to

• Yendys
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 100
    • Founder

Great and detailed review Lee.  Before reading the thread I couldn’t really see the point to it, but your review has changed my mind.

I have used a blackberry for some years and it would be nice to have a personnel device, I travel a bit see it replacing the job of my BS2  and nice to have some music in the hotel room.

Loved your description of the bag

BV10, AvantDVD, BS3000, BL8000, BL6000, BL4000, BL3500, BeoPorts, BC9300, BC7002, CX100s, C75s, Beo4s, BC6000s, LC2s, A9, A8s,

• 10-06-2007 9:39 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Great review Lee, bet you enjoyed doing it too. Have to say I really do like it. Cannot see me getting one though. My phones take quite a bit of abuse at work. So cheaper is better for me.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 10-07-2007 9:29 PM In reply to

• V13WNG
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-11-2007
    • Eastbourne, East Sussex, ENG
    • Posts 200
    • Bronze Member

Beolab:

Serenata = Big and Clumsy with "transistor radio sound"

It´s to big, to difficult to navigate when you are at the run, and it´s doesn't look so good either..

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with this point.

It's smaller than my Nokia N73, uses practically the same interface as the iPod, and the sound from both the speaker and Earset 3 headset is stunningly clear.

The design may not be to everybody's taste, but then again, some people find Cindy Crawford hideous because she has a mole......

Muchos Gracias Cool

• 10-09-2007 4:57 AM In reply to

• clifft
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Ballarat Australia
    • Posts 64
    • Founder

Oh Gawd!!! Reading these posts on the Serenata and seeing the B & O website about it, the Beovirus has kicked in and I HAVE TO HAVE ONE!!!!!  I was just thinking about getting a new iPod as the current one I have mainly stays in the glove box of my Lexus wired into the stereo system of the car, and I wanted an extra one as a portable. Then along comes the Serenata.  Can any dyed-in-the-wool B & O fanatic possibly resist such a beautiful piece of equipment?  I am off  to London at the beginning of December and toyed with the idea of getting one there. However, after the few problems I had with buying the Serene there and getting it working satisfactorily here in Australia I figured I may wait. Then, on coming home from work today, there is an invite from my Melbourne dealer for a social evening at the end of October where "New Products will be unveiled"  Note the plural.  I hope onet will be the Serenata andt I will be a sitting duck and the money will be in the till!!! As an aside, I have just returned from a specialist consultation where I have just been told that I do not have cancer so the mindset has changed from DIE, DIE, DIE, to SPEND, SPEND, SPEND!!!  Seriously, it takes an event like that to put things in perspective.  If you can afford it (whatever "it" is), then DO IT!!!
  • 10-09-2007 5:02 AM In reply to

• V13WNG
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-11-2007
    • Eastbourne, East Sussex, ENG
    • Posts 200
    • Bronze Member

Well said!!! Yes -  thumbs up

Muchos Gracias Cool

Page 2 of 3 (59 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >