in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-25-2007 12:01 PM by Puncher. 21 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (22 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-19-2007 11:18 PM

• djs
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 7
    • Bronze Member

BeoLab9 - 5 stars - What Hi-Fi

In the May 2007 issue of "What Hi-Fi?" the BeoLab9s are given 5 stars, the maximum possible rating. I'll quote the summary:

For: A totally convincing and involving sound, combined with striking looks; compact, but sound much bigger.

Against: Need dedicated leads to connect then to preamps; you can buy a lot of amp and spaekers for GBP5000.

Verdict: Like the bigger BeoLab 5s, the new 9s defy expectations by working not just as style icons, but in pure hi-fi terms, too.

• 04-20-2007 3:23 AM In reply to

Re: BeoLab9 - 5 stars - What Hi-Fi

Great rating.

Thanks for sharing the summery with us.

Regards, Robert

• 04-20-2007 9:30 AM In reply to

djs:
    In the May 2007 issue of "What Hi-Fi?" the BeoLab9s are given 5 stars, the maximum possible rating. I'll quote the summary:

For: A totally convincing and involving sound, combined with striking looks; compact, but sound much bigger.

Against: Need dedicated leads to connect then to preamps; you can buy a lot of amp and spaekers for GBP5000.

Verdict: Like the bigger BeoLab 5s, the new 9s defy expectations by working not just as style icons, but in pure hi-fi terms, too.

Cable nutters again. If it has a "totally convincing and involving sound", one can assume the stock B&O cables are doing the job and did not detract from the performance.
    Also, how many loudspeakers/amps are there on the market that can run like the BL9's and still have the same sound for 5 grand??? Not so many as you may think I'm guessing.
    10%
  • 04-20-2007 9:44 AM In reply to

Must confess that my opinion of this rag continues to plummet. Not a proper review and not detail you could not get from the official site. The earlier review of the BL3 was also appalling with the reviewer seemingly unaware of any of the features. I am still waiting for a double blind test of power leads by them. Reviews of these items going into ecstasy about one product over another  makes me doubt anything they write. To be believable. a little honesty in testing procedures would be nice. I realise that these comments seem strange as this is a positive review of a B&O product,  but  i frankly despair at cable reviews.
  • 04-20-2007 11:07 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Peter:
    Must confess that my opinion of this rag continues to plummet. Not a proper review and not detail you could not get from the official site. The earlier review of the BL3 was also appalling with the reviewer seemingly unaware of any of the features. I am still waiting for a double blind test of power leads by them. Reviews of these items going into ecstasy about one product over another  makes me doubt anything they write. To be believable. a little honesty in testing procedures would be nice. I realise that these comments seem strange as this is a positive review of a B&O product,  but  i frankly despair at cable reviews.

Amen! I bought the magazine just because of the BeoLab 9 review, and I was really disappointed. This publication used to be all about sound quality and enjoying good hifi. Now it's all about home theatre and MP3. No in-depth reviews of anything, and seemed pretty rushed to me!

HiFi News seems to be the best, and the other publication (Audiophile or something) which reviewed the BeoLab 5s in HUGE depth (several page review) and rated them very very highly seems to be another credible one.

How they always go on about how cables are so INCREDIBLY important, especially power cables, and yet the other half of their magazine goes on about how MP3 players can sound absolutely fantastic with the right system! I mean sure, they sound very very good, but my iPod playing AIFF isn't a touch on my CD7000, and I'm sure I can say the same for most other decent CD players...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 04-20-2007 11:20 AM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

i read the diapason (frensh hifi and music magazine) and the fono forum (about the same in german) monnthly. they both offer hifi reviews every month, especially the diapason. for the 5-6 years i get these two magazines, i never found a single mentioun about b&o. strange or normal?

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 04-20-2007 11:25 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Lets start another Cable debate.LaughingLaughing Seriously though the price of some of these cables is just plain ridiculous. Nordost are one make that springs to mind. Just look at Ebay.

http://electronics.search.ebay.co.uk/nordost_Cables-Connectors_W0QQfromZR34QQsacatZ116849

In particular look for the Valhalla ones.Indifferent

CraigBig Smile 

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 04-20-2007 11:36 AM In reply to

I have found out that we can set the forum to automatically delete any post that contains certain words more than once! Don't make me use my power!Laughing
  • 04-20-2007 11:38 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Hmmm, £2000 on cables, or £2000 on albums? Which would be better spent? Let me think about that one... Laughing

And if you thought that was bad enough, there was a company making speaker cables which cost something like $16,000 a METRE (the link was on the old forum somewhere, I've googled but couldn't find anything).

Seriously, I believe that speaker cables can make a difference, and I did splash out on £15 a metre Chord speaker cables about three years ago, and it did improve the sound of my system, but I think the money would have been SO much better spent on CDs, or taking a load of friends to the cinema or pub etc...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 04-20-2007 11:45 AM In reply to

I spent a bit of money on some SCART cables - money well spent - they had a special locking device so they don't fall out. I find cables work much better when connected!
  • 04-20-2007 11:55 AM In reply to

I defo don't want to start any debate about cabling in general, but I'd like to know how a £500 mains lead can improve the quality of the electricity from the 2p a metre twin and earth cabling to domestic sockets in houses? I know you can go mental and rewire your house with crazy cabling, but how many people who buy £500 mains leads actually do this, and what about the ancient cabling leading up to domestic supplies that you can do nothing about? It seems crazy to me...

See - I didn't mention speaker cables once there!

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 04-20-2007 12:00 PM In reply to

Peter:
    I spent a bit of money on some SCART cables - money well spent - they had a special locking device so they don't fall out. I find cables work much better when connected!

Smart move getting SCARTs with locks!
    How about a pair of Jorma PRIME cables? Two 1 meter lengths will set you back the price of a pair of BeoLab 5s ... Smile
    Add a metre at the cost of GBP 2000/m.

Madness. Very popular with Japanese Hi-Fi people.

http://www.jormadesign.com/jormaprime/jp_1.htm 
     http://www.swedishstatement.com/6_prod_jd.htm

• 04-20-2007 2:27 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Pity,Peter that you didn't think of this cable malarkey before the shootout in Newcastle!

It would have been interesting if listeners could distinguish between 'proper' B&O cable and bell wire.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 04-20-2007 2:36 PM In reply to

jandyt:

Pity,Peter that you didn't think of this cable malarkey before the shootout in Newcastle!

It would have been interesting if listeners could distinguish between 'proper' B&O cable and bell wire.

Andy T.

Waste of time. I have seen don't know how many different tests, blind, double-blind and whatnot, and the evidence is not conclusive when people are comparing setup to setup.

Kind of fun how riled up people get about B&O cables. There was a multi-page review of the BL9s in a Scandinavian magazine, where they actually gave the speakers a very good rundown -- but the cable issue (thin, stock issue, cheap connectors) was touched upon several times. Hard going, accepting the B&O philosophy, when you have cables such as the PRIMEs going the totally opposite route. The writer of the article had discussed cables with B&O engineers, who told him that they couldn't hear a difference and couldn't measure a difference ...

In the article he comments: "Well, maybe everything can't be measured."

• 04-20-2007 3:05 PM In reply to

HiFi News seems to be the best, and the other publication (Audiophile or something) which reviewed the BeoLab 5s in HUGE depth (several page review) and rated them very very highly seems to be another credible one.

Does anyone have a scan ( or a PDF ) of the HiFi News review of the Beolab 5 's  by any chance  ??? 

• 04-25-2007 9:47 AM In reply to

• AdamS
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • South UK
    • Posts 72
    • Silver Member

Peter:

Hope you find the upcoming "Hi-Fi World" review a little better then........
  • 04-25-2007 10:15 AM In reply to

For the BL5's if got:-

Audiocrıtic, Hifi News, AV guide, Sound and vision and Ultra audio reviews.

someone tell me how to upload to the site and they are yours.

10%

• 04-25-2007 10:20 AM In reply to

djs:

You might be able to buy a lot of amp & speakers for GBP5000 elsewhere - but will they be as perfectly matched as in the BL9s, given that, by default, they are built to match exactly

• 04-25-2007 10:24 AM In reply to

Mr10Percent:

For the BL5's if got:-

Audiocrıtic, Hifi News, AV guide, Sound and vision and Ultra audio reviews.

someone tell me how to upload to the site and they are yours.

10%

Very kind of you but we might run into copyright problems. Sad

• 04-25-2007 11:36 AM In reply to

I think apart from the AVGuide Review, they are all freely available on the web.

10%

• 04-25-2007 11:44 AM In reply to

In that case, send them to me and I will upload them to the manuals site! I'll PM you my email!
  • 04-25-2007 12:01 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

soundproof:
    jandyt:

Andy T.

Waste of time. I have seen don't know how many different tests, blind, double-blind and whatnot, and the evidence is not conclusive when people are comparing setup to setup.

Kind of fun how riled up people get about B&O cables. There was a multi-page review of the BL9s in a Scandinavian magazine, where they actually gave the speakers a very good rundown -- but the cable issue (thin, stock issue, cheap connectors) was touched upon several times. Hard going, accepting the B&O philosophy, when you have cables such as the PRIMEs going the totally opposite route. The writer of the article had discussed cables with B&O engineers, who told him that they couldn't hear a difference and couldn't measure a difference ...

In the article he comments: "Well, maybe everything can't be measured."

Been there, heard that! My response is that I leave metaphysics to the philosophers - not the audiophiles.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

Page 1 of 1 (22 items)