in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-02-2007 5:53 PM by The Beonic Man. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (21 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-02-2007 12:34 PM

B&O Give me a reason...

Piooner 50" fantastic looking and fantastic image: full hd 5800 euros, hd ready 3700...

so I love beovision 8 design, I love beo4 remote control... but, guys, why I have to spend 4000euros for an lcd hd ready 32"????

give me a reason!

thanks,

massimo (beofan from 1999) 

Filed under:
  • 10-02-2007 12:45 PM In reply to

Re: B&O Give me a reason...

Ciao Massimo! Il tuo Inglese e senza dubio migliore del mio Italiano, ma mi piace di parle cuando poso!

This is a difficult question to answer though. How badly do you want a 50" TV? Would it make such a difference to you if you just had a 32" instead?

The next thing to consider is sound! The BeoVision 8 sounds fantastic in my opinion. However it's not exactly the correct TV to have if you're planning on having home cinema. I currently use my BeoVision 8 26 in the kitchen, and it is perfect here - it delivers a great picture and very warm sound.

So if you do go for the Pioneer, remember you'll be spending more money to get a decent pair of speakers to match the good TV.

• 10-02-2007 12:47 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

The beovision 8 is a beautiful design. Go Henry well said! Wink 

I haven't yet seen the BV_8 32 but i'm sure it can't be a bad choice. 50" is very large.

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 10-02-2007 12:54 PM In reply to

• archie
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Paris
    • Posts 497
    • Bronze Member

Hello

You are not married with BO, i'm agree to pay more for the bonus of some BO icons (bl 8000 - bs 9000  - ouverture  - avant..) but exept for the BV 9 the look of the actual  TV are common.

DU BEAU, DU BON, DU BO.

• 10-02-2007 12:55 PM In reply to

thank you guys for your advice!

I have two beolab 8 and so the sound will not be a problem also with a pioneer...

my question is, is it correct the price of the beovision 8 32"? I have a beovision 1 from seven years, and it's amazing: material, sound (even better than the beovision 8), superb image. I saw the beovision 8 (first of all I don't like lcd) and it looks poor (amazing design, not so good material) 

I saw serenata and It's great... I can spend 1450euros for a mobile so different... I don't know if i will spend 4000euros for beovison 8, when i can buy the best plasma 50" (with superb sound thanks to my beolab 8000) for less! 

• 10-02-2007 1:00 PM In reply to

Massimo,

I am feeling particularly B&O cynical today after suffering really poor service from my B&O dealer. The truth is that there isn't any reason why you should - thats the pure honest truth. At the present I am considering a non-b&O active sub and a non B&O 26" (probably Samsung) for my bedroom. If you don't think you should do then my advice is don't.

I was convinced a few weeks ago to give B&O another try --convinced by the friendliness of this board (they can't all be wrong). Why would you pay (in the case of a 26inch tv) four or five times more for a level of service that is close to appalling and a current design program which is, to say the least, variable (great Beolab 5's --TV's iffy but no digital tuners -- DVD2 with no digital tuner).

I was to go into the market for a BL2 and possibly a BV6-26 for the bedroom but I have one last transaction to finish with Lee and then I am hanging up my B&O intentions. Turn round and move on it can't be impossible to find a suitable learning remote that will cope with that problem surely! If anyone knows of one please let me know.

Barry BV6-26,BC2300,Beolab8000,4000,3500,2000,DVD1
  • 10-02-2007 1:05 PM In reply to

Barry: Beo5 LaughingLaughing

Massimo: could you tell us in what way you would like to use your new TV? The difference between a 50" and 32" TV seems huge to me! In other words, are you looking for a TV which can offer you a stunning movie experience, or an up to date day to day TV (just like how I use my BeoVision 8 in the kitchen)?

• 10-02-2007 1:14 PM In reply to

I will us my new tv for everything... from news to movies...

I want to underline my though: if I pay 4000 euros for a 32" I want the best tv and the best audio around the world! I can spend 8000 euros for a beovision 7 but I want a bluray and the best lcd around the world (and it's not!) (of course: beovison 7, great design, great materials, great sound).

When some years ago I bought my stuff it was the best stuff all around the world (and it's true today).

I want to be sure the inside my B&O there is the best panel, I want to be sure that beosystem 3 is the best... 

B&O must be the best.

Another thing: the dealers in Italy do not understand nothing about technology, about design, about nothing!  

• 10-02-2007 1:14 PM In reply to

I will use my new tv for everything... from news to movies...

I want to underline my though: if I pay 4000 euros for a 32" I want the best tv and the best audio around the world! I can spend 8000 euros for a beovision 7 but I want a bluray and the best lcd around the world (and it's not!) (of course: beovison 7, great design, great materials, great sound).

When some years ago I bought my stuff it was the best stuff all around the world (and it's true today).

I want to be sure the inside my B&O there is the best panel, I want to be sure that beosystem 3 is the best... 

B&O must be the best.

Another thing: the dealers in Italy do not understand nothing about technology, about design, about nothing!  

• 10-02-2007 1:20 PM In reply to

• archie
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Paris
    • Posts 497
    • Bronze Member

"..I want the best tv and the best audio around the world!.."

If you want the best LCD or PLASMA, prepare you to change every 6 months...

DU BEAU, DU BON, DU BO.

• 10-02-2007 1:29 PM In reply to

That I totally agree. My local dealer in Monza is a very arrogant man, who doesn't really know that much about his own product. To sum up this point - his showroom STINKS of cigarette smoke.

Massimo, I don't think BeoVision 8 will offer you the best LCD picture there is at the moment, reason being that B&O are generally a little bit behind the likes of Samsung, Sony, Panasonic etc in terms of the very latest technology.
    I think a reasonable example of this is the new Serenata, and the Serene when it was launched. How many people said 'this phone should have been released 2 years ago?'

Now back to the TVs, I do not think B&O are this far behind with their LCD technology (they are Samsung pannels anyway, I think!), but it's likely that the picture of the new Pioneer will be better.

I think another important point to make with regards to this thread is that LCD technology is improving almost every day, and so when I bought my BeoVision 8, I had to accept that in a year's time there would definitely be a better LCD available on the market. This will be the same whether you buy a B&O, Samsung, or a Bush LCD TV tomorrow.

I personally would feel intimidated by such an enormous news lady on a 50" TV every night while watching the news! I would only buy a 50" TV for the sole use of home cinema.

The BeoVision 8 will be just right for watching the news and movies (as long as you are not a hardcore home cinema fan). I love the design, especially the grilled shelf. And perhaps more importantly, I love the connectivity the BeoVision 8 offers with the rest of the B&O in the house.

Am I buying you over?! Stick out tongue

• 10-02-2007 1:46 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Why buy a BMW or Audi when you can get a Toyota for a tenth the cost? Why buy a beautifully finished house in a fantastic location when you can get something with the same number of rooms in a different lesser location for much less? It should be the same with TVs, HiFi and Computers, but sadly, people just buy things based around the 'features' or specs they get for the price...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 10-02-2007 1:57 PM In reply to

Alex is right here. There's a spectrum of capabilities, brand cachet and craftsmanship that decides what's a fair price, and what isn't.

With B&O you're supposed to get something extra, and will, as long as the brand maintains its cachet. Which also means that the dealers have to understand it takes work to maintain it, if they don't provide added value, then there's no way B&O can keep charging at the premium level.

I have both televisions.

A 50" Pioneer Plasma HD of the latest Kuro generation (because it's the best screen I've ever watched) and a BeoVision 8 on the sculptural floorstand in my home office. Fell in love with the BV8 when I saw the prototype - to my eyes it's the most beautiful television ever made. The Pioneer I bought because of the image quality, but it's got a cheap plastic frame and I'm looking forward to hiding that when building it into the wall in my home entertainment room.

I can buy a "Grundig" flatscreen that's a lot cheaper still (made in Taiwan, though, and with an image quality that gives new meaning to the term image smear). I choose not to. The image on the Pioneer surprises me with its near perfection (as someone pointed out above someone else is bound to come with something even sharper/richer/truer -- for now, I'm satisfied.) The sheer presence of the BeoVision 8, and the design rationale for the speaker bar, gives me another form of pleasure - expressive design, form, function, B&O irrationality.

• 10-02-2007 2:16 PM In reply to

• archie
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Paris
    • Posts 497
    • Bronze Member

"...Why buy a BMW or Audi when you can get a Toyota for a tenth the cost..."

Because you don't find R8 or Z4 in the toyota brand...... 

DU BEAU, DU BON, DU BO.

• 10-02-2007 3:01 PM In reply to

Alex:

Why buy a BMW or Audi when you can get a Toyota for a tenth the cost? Why buy a beautifully finished house in a fantastic location when you can get something with the same number of rooms in a different lesser location for much less? It should be the same with TVs, HiFi and Computers, but sadly, people just buy things based around the 'features' or specs they get for the price...

Half right!

I think the sheer pace of change in the LCD/Plasma TV market means that B&O isn't automatically the best, even given the price tag, and that is where your analogy breaks down. So you have a better design, but an arguably inferior product.

Bear in mind that for many of us buying brand new B&O is a substantial investment, so it makes sense to expect something in return for that level of investment. This makes the current range of B&O TV's hard to recommend at the price.

Simon

• 10-02-2007 4:19 PM In reply to

wirralsimon:
    Alex:

I think the sheer pace of change in the LCD/Plasma TV market means that B&O isn't automatically the best, even given the price tag, and that is where your analogy breaks down. So you have a better design, but an arguably inferior product.

Bear in mind that for many of us buying brand new B&O is a substantial investment, so it makes sense to expect something in return for that level of investment. This makes the current range of B&O TV's hard to recommend at the price.

I think Simon's point is very true in this case. This is also why many B&O owners believe their Avant still has a better picture than any of the current B&O TVs. Or perhaps because they think an Avant is worth much more for its price, which I too would certainly agree with. Goodness me, how much B&O I wish I could have!

• 10-02-2007 4:20 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Agree with wirralsimon here. I think B&O are in a real hole with regards to TV's at the moment. The old model of using the best CRT available and developing their own analogue electronics for picture control doesn't work anymore. Sure they can still offer great design, sound and connectivity (athough this has been debated at length over recent months with regard to HD) but the killer parameter for a TV has got to be the picture - especially if you position yourself as a leading brand. We all know that CRT design was pretty much at its peak and therefore changed very little and in any case very slowly. This allowed TV's like the Avant to maintain its top position for an extended period of time.

Now that panels are being updated on an almost weekly basis it is impossible to maintain any sort of leading position in picture quality when using other manufacturers panels - certainly they can never be first to market with the latest and greatest, nor is it feasible to produce their own. Picture control and features is now pretty much an exercise in DSP programming.

The net result is that the chances of a B&O TV having the best picture in class is, for the vast majority of time, very, very slim. It is also unlikely, for the foreseeable future, that TV's with have the same longevity as the CRT based models. The issue then boils down to -

Is the design and exclusivity of a B&O flat screen TV worth the (considerable) extra outlay given that it will likely have an inferior picture to other less expensive models and will have a much shorter "acceptable" working life.

It is a much more difficult question to answer than it was 5 years ago!

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 10-02-2007 4:20 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I challenge you to find better upscaling or picture processing than that in the BeoSystem 3. Sure, the panels aren't as up-to-date as they could be, but to my eyes the picture still seems more natural than other sets out there...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 10-02-2007 4:26 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Alex:

I challenge you to find better upscaling or picture processing than that in the BeoSystem 3. Sure, the panels aren't as up-to-date as they could be, but to my eyes the picture still seems more natural than other sets out there...

and thats my point  - within a month or two it will have become commonplace and then your umpty £' 000 outlay starts to look a bit silly.

I hope I'm not sounding negative, I'm just trying to make the point that it is difficult to justify spending that sort of money (if you live and work in the real world) in the sure knowledge that it will be playing videos in the kids bedroom this time next year (a slight exageration to highlight my pointBig Smile)

Sqillionaires excluded of course!

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 10-02-2007 4:45 PM In reply to

Agree. the problem we have is that B&O products are designed to last for years and perform at near to the top of the market. For this they ask a premium price. The audio range manages that because the prevailing technology, CD, is stable and therefore even the first models still perform well.

Plasma and LCD are still improving and an early BV6 would now be regarded as having a poor picture.  This devalues it and a customer trading in will find his investment worthless. This means he is less likely to fall for the same promise of longevity again especially when the sets are inferior in specs to the competition. I know that comparing pictures will often result in the B&O set being judged better, but at some point, the B&O set will be upgraded to the latest spec and the older model relegated to old hat. This makes life very difficult for the dealers at present and I think they do a good job - especially during the time that HD has been introduced and B&O have not provided them with full HD sets or digital tuners.

The introduction of the new BV7-40 will finally provide them with some real ammunition and this is a set that could well tempt me.  

• 10-02-2007 5:53 PM In reply to

Peter:

Agree. the problem we have is that B&O products are designed to last for years and perform at near to the top of the market. For this they ask a premium price. The audio range manages that because the prevailing technology, CD, is stable and therefore even the first models still perform well.

Plasma and LCD are still improving and an early BV6 would now be regarded as having a poor picture.  This devalues it and a customer trading in will find his investment worthless. This means he is less likely to fall for the same promise of longevity again especially when the sets are inferior in specs to the competition. I know that comparing pictures will often result in the B&O set being judged better, but at some point, the B&O set will be upgraded to the latest spec and the older model relegated to old hat. This makes life very difficult for the dealers at present and I think they do a good job - especially during the time that HD has been introduced and B&O have not provided them with full HD sets or digital tuners.

The introduction of the new BV7-40 will finally provide them with some real ammunition and this is a set that could well tempt me.  

This is a set that tempted me too Peter and last Wednesday I finally gave into temptation and had the BeoVison 7-40 installed in my home. I had thought long and hard about purchasing this TV as you know first hand, for all the reasons mentioned above and many more. It was a difficult choice because the BeoVision 5 won me over for style. There was no comparison. However, the BeoVision 7-40 won me over for practicality in terms of being future proof, as much as one can be given current technologies and their advancements.

I will be upgrading to the new BeoVision 7-40 as soon as it is available, which I believe to be around the 18th of this month or soon after. It was the knowledge of this new model that finalised my decision because as you say, and I agree with you, "...the introduction of the new BV7-40 will finally provide them (the dealers) with some real ammunition." Every review that I read about the forthcoming model, paying particular attention to reviews from USA dealers, customers and independent reviewers, set in my mind firmly that this set was well worth the wait and worth every penny of its asking price. These type of reviews were exactly what I was hoping for.

My new set will never stand the test of time that the Avant has and I accept that happily. How could it? We are in different times with different technologies and the very most that any of us can do is to choose the best set available at the time and the new BeoVision 7-40 represents that current choice. I am 100% satisfied with my decision and know that I have made the best choice possible. All that remains to be said is that if I wanted to be 'picky' about what I consider to be 'small and not important enough factors' (for me) with regard to picture quality and enhancement then I would undoubtedly have bought the latest Pioneer televisions I am sure. But, and this is a BIG but, I don't want a Pioneer television in my lounge, I want a Bang and Olufsen and for me, it doesn't get any simpler than that. I am getting so much pleasure already from the current BeoVision 7-40 installed, its fuelling me with excitement and much anticipation for the new model. I can't wait to see it operating in all modes including high definition, which I will start subscribing to with Sky the day it arrives.

Finally, you mention that the dealers do a good job with what is available in the current B&O product range. I would have to agree with you given my experiences with B&O of Bath (and Swindon) who really have offered a first class service, above and beyond the call of duty. They are a good bunch who have given me the best advice possible throughout. A bit of a plug there but they deserve it. Thanks guys if you are reading.

Simon.

"We can rebuild him. We have the technology." 7-40, 7-2, 9000, BS3, BC2, LC2, BC6000, Beo5
Page 1 of 1 (21 items)