in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-02-2007 4:23 PM by Ruivar. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-01-2007 2:43 AM

• Ruivar
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-12-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 72
    • Bronze Member

BeoLab 9

Hi,

can anybody tell me why the BeoLab 9s aren't magnetically shielded? It makes no sense!!

Greetings

Ruivar

Filed under:
  • 10-01-2007 2:51 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-23-2007
    • Posts 223
    • Bronze Member

Re: BeoLab 9

lcd and plasma televisions are not affected by magnetisim.
  • 10-01-2007 3:03 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Re: BeoLab 9 not magnetically shielded

They aren't made from the metals that the aluminium BeoLab's are made of which otherwise sheilds the speakers magnet natrually.

BL4, BL7 & BL9 are made from special plastics, which do leak some magnetic interference.

It's simple, keep the TV at least one metre away from the speakers! Why would you want BL9 that close to the TV anyway?

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 10-01-2007 5:00 AM In reply to

• Jez
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-13-2007
    • Posts 150
    • Bronze Member

Shielding speakers is also done by sticking a magnet to the back of the speaker drivers magnet + to - therefore cancelling out the interferance with CRT screens, this was an extra measure taken by B&O in the past.This is no longer needed as there is no longer CRT's in the range. People using newer items with older setups can simply place them at a metre distance.
  • 10-01-2007 10:22 AM In reply to

• Ruivar
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-12-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 72
    • Bronze Member

I know they are made from plastic. But why not put a shielding material underneath the plastic?

I've got an Avant DVD and I love it. And because my room isn't excactly "home cinema friendly", I simply don't have the space for placing the speakers at their optimum. Sadly... One of the speakers has to be placed as close as 40 cm. to the Avant, so that's a problem! So if I want the Lab 9s, I have to buy a new TV aswell. That is simply too much of an expense...

The reason I'm asking is that I've got a pair of BeoLab 3s at the moment, and I wanted to use them as rear speakers if the 9s wouldn't have been a problem. So now I'm thinking instead of the Lab 9s, maybe another pair of BeoLab 3s. So i have the 3s both as front- and rear speakers. I just feel that the 3s maybe have too much potential if used as rear speakers. Kind of a waste, maybe?? I've got a BeaLab 2 aswell. 

Are the BeoLab 3s a good alternative to the 9s compared with the fact that my room isn't that big?? 

Is there a way for shielding the BeoLab 9s? Some after market items or something??

Thanks

Ruivar

• 10-01-2007 10:29 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Why don't you see if the bl9's can get along in a 40cm distance? There may not be too much leakage, all you can do is try, or you could move the room around! It sounds like you have a small space, bl3's just may be sufficient. Cheaper too.

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 10-01-2007 1:11 PM In reply to

• Ruivar
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-12-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 72
    • Bronze Member

Hi

You're right. The BeoLab 3s are much cheaper than the 9s. And because of my tiny room, I reckon the differences between the 3s and the 9s aren't that big? But the 3s might just do te job..

Thanks for your answers and advice!

Ruivar

• 10-01-2007 1:20 PM In reply to

I use the bl9 in combination with the bv3. The top of the lense is approx 40cm away from the frame of the tv (my room is very small). Haven't had any problems with it though. I use the bl3 as rear speakers and trust me: the difference in sound quality is huge!
  • 10-01-2007 1:25 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Ruivar:

Hi

You're right. The BeoLab 3s are much cheaper than the 9s. And because of my tiny room, I reckon the differences between the 3s and the 9s aren't that big? But the 3s might just do te job..

Thanks for your answers and advice!

Ruivar

Sure BeoLab 3s will do the job, but BeoLab 9s will still sound miles better. Believe me, the difference between the 9s and the 3s is pretty big, even excluding bass performance/extension.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 10-01-2007 1:29 PM In reply to

I entirely agree with Alex here. The BL9s are easily better than the BL3s in all sound respect, but whether the BL9s are worth the higher price tag than the BL3s is a personal choice. Your home cinema setup with BL9s would feel much more powerful than with BL3s.

• 10-01-2007 6:04 PM In reply to

• Jez
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-13-2007
    • Posts 150
    • Bronze Member

If you really wanted to use BL9's i'm sure you can get them shielded. Ask your local service dept. The distance should be ok but if you use the motor stand and turn the screen it might face some problems.
  • 10-02-2007 1:39 AM In reply to

• Ruivar
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-12-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 72
    • Bronze Member

Hi,

thanks for all your answers. I just have one question left. If I choose to go with the BeoLab 9s, do I really need my BeoLab 2 then? 

Ruivar

• 10-02-2007 3:22 AM In reply to

• Jez
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-13-2007
    • Posts 150
    • Bronze Member

More so with a 5.1 setup, with a stereo setup BL9's can hold there own. Do a test with and with out, what ever sounds best to you i say.
  • 10-02-2007 9:19 AM In reply to

• beobeo
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 953
    • Founder

Ruivar:

Hi,

thanks for all your answers. I just have one question left. If I choose to go with the BeoLab 9s, do I really need my BeoLab 2 then? 

Ruivar

I have a set up with BL9 and BL3 without BL2 and sounds fantastic. BL9 bass is very accurate and deep. You have to hear it in order to convince yourself.

Gustavo

• 10-02-2007 12:15 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I agree with beobeo, the bass on the BeoLab 9s is better than that on the 2. Sure the 2 goes louder, but the 9s are far more accurate and detailed. The BeoLab 2 can be a bit boomy at times and sometimes struggles to keep up with fast basslines in comparison to the BeoLab 9s which are about as good as it gets (until you hear BL5s).

Weekly top artists:                   

• 10-02-2007 4:23 PM In reply to

• Ruivar
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-12-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 72
    • Bronze Member

Hi,

I think you're right. The Beolab 2 is a bit late in sound reproduction some times. I think too that the bass on the 9s is very good! I was quite surprised the first time I heard them. But that was without a BeoLab 2... One of my friends have the BeoLab 5s, and he thinks that his BeoLab 2 is indispensable, especially when watching movies. The Beolab 2 just gives a more thorough bass reproduction. But again, how is the Beolab 2  with the Beolab 9s?

Again, thanks for all your help. It is very useful!

So now, I guess its only up to me, and my wallet of courseBig Smile

Thanks again

Ruivar

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)