in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-07-2008 1:46 PM by Russ. 31 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-29-2007 3:53 PM

Finally - Entry Level TV coming to US BV 8 32" around 4000$ 1st quarter 2008

I can't say where I got it from but I have from a trusted source that we finally will see a smaller, more reasonable priced LCD TV coming to the US.

BV8 32" is supposed to be introduced 1st Quarter 2008 at around 4000$.

Start saving everyone.

JK 

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 09-29-2007 4:02 PM In reply to

• Sal
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-30-2007
    • Indianapolis, USA
    • Posts 261
    • Bronze Member

Re: Finally - Entry Level TV coming to US BV 8 32" around 4000$ 1st quarter 2008

Hmmm.... BV 8 for the US at $4K???? Sounds like a great deal (of course, we'll all have to see what the US version has / doesn't have in the way of connections). Obviously, it won't have a Beosystem 3 included, but hopefully it'll have Masterlink, and connections for at least L and R powerlink.

The BV7 would hardly be considered entry level.

But it looks like our prayers for a "reasonable" *cough cough* B & O tele for the US have been answered.

Maybe they'll even remove that horrid large "Bang & Olufsen" from the front bezel.

-Sal
    Love B&O, but no longer addicted.
  • 09-29-2007 4:18 PM In reply to

• Sal
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-30-2007
    • Indianapolis, USA
    • Posts 261
    • Bronze Member

Re: Finally - Entry Level TV coming to US BV 8 32" around 4000$ 1st quarter 2008

Let me add what would be invaluable would be a side by side comparison between a BV7 US and BV8 US in terms of what we're getting for our money. Picture quality, connections, etc.

-Sal
  • 09-29-2007 4:48 PM In reply to

For masterlink, you can add a module that does that. I doubt seriously that it will be based on BS3. No way at that price.

I think the big let down will be that it doesn't have surround, or at least per current european spec. If they have a basic TV chassis for the US there is no reason that they won't do other TVs as well. So there is a glimpse of hope.

I think the current BV7 is as good as it gets when it comes to value for the money among the B&O products. If I would have the space (620 sqf NYC one bed) I would get one.

JK 

• 09-29-2007 6:37 PM In reply to

• Sal
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-30-2007
    • Indianapolis, USA
    • Posts 261
    • Bronze Member

jk1002:

For masterlink, you can add a module that does that. I doubt seriously that it will be based on BS3. No way at that price.

I think the big let down will be that it doesn't have surround, or at least per current european spec. If they have a basic TV chassis for the US there is no reason that they won't do other TVs as well. So there is a glimpse of hope.

I think the current BV7 is as good as it gets when it comes to value for the money among the B&O products. If I would have the space (620 sqf NYC one bed) I would get one.

JK 

Oh, I didn't think in any way we would be getting the bang of a BS3 for $4K. I was thinking basic surround. If we're paying a little over 1/2 of BS3 price, we should be getting what we paid for. Again hoping it's not seriously ill-equipped.

Hopefully masterlink without the "added module" as in the EU units. The BV8 spec (EU) states it has a powerlink out, is this for L and R front stereo? I can live without surround if L an R fronts can be my BL3s, which with masterlink act as my speakers for the BS9000.

Wifey and I live in Indianapolis (we're both former NYers, me from Queens, and she's from Long Island), and our place is smallish for midwest standards: 1100sqft condo downtown... If I could I'd send all my current B & O away for a pair of BL5's. I don't care how big they are! LOL

-Sal
  • 10-02-2007 10:28 PM In reply to

BV 8 32" is not exactly the smaller TV that I had hoped B&O would bring to North America.  I was hoping for the Beocenter 6 26" which I think is a much better design.  A Beovision 7 32" would be even better but I am sure it would cost much more.

Bill 

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 10-04-2007 6:25 PM In reply to

• joynsyde
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-09-2007
    • Midwest, U.S.A.
    • Posts 130
    • Bronze Member

linder:

BV 8 32" is not exactly the smaller TV that I had hoped B&O would bring to North America.  I was hoping for the Beocenter 6 26" which I think is a much better design.  A Beovision 7 32" would be even better but I am sure it would cost much more.

Bill 

Maybe the rest of the world has the impression that Americans like everything BIG, and that's why it's taken so long to get anything smaller than 40". Indeed, many of us do think "bigger is better" (myself NOT being one who indulges in that opinion, may I add.)  Still, I think 32" is a great size for a home TV.  I live in the Midwest, and to be honest, I can't see anything smaller than 32" being that popular. I don't think I know anyone who has a TV smaller than 32".  Everyone wants a large-screen.

...my two cents ~AJ
  • 10-04-2007 6:46 PM In reply to

Bang & Olufsen does a lot of business in large cities where people have smaller apartments and condos.  I think in New York city, there are at least 4 B&O stores.

You are probably correct that most people want at least a 32" TV in their living room but a 26" would be useful in the bedroom.

I just don't like the design of the BV8.  You can get a much better TV for $4000. 

• 10-04-2007 7:01 PM In reply to

• Joe
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-03-2007
    • SoCal
    • Posts 74
    • Bronze Member

I agree with you about there being a need for the smaller screens in the cities where condos and apartments are common. It has taken a long time for us to get the BV7 and now the intro to the BV8. It is only a matter of time before we get more options here as the American demand for high quality products increases. The looks of the BV8 are unique and to be honest I think that it will grow on to people, just like the BL5s did. The BV8 will be a cool tv for the bedroom since it is affordable, in the B&O world.

Joe 

Its not just a product, its a way of life...
  • 10-04-2007 11:13 PM In reply to

• Sal
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-30-2007
    • Indianapolis, USA
    • Posts 261
    • Bronze Member

Looks do grow on people. At first I thought: "What the heck is that shelf all about?" But looking at more and more pictures of it, it's pretty snazzy. Except for the Bang & Olufsen lettering on the speaker grills.

-Sal
  • 10-05-2007 10:20 AM In reply to

Thanks for the info Joe.  I hope we do get more options in the future.  I also hope B&O looks in on our comments periodically.

• 10-07-2007 12:11 AM In reply to

• Beolab
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 535
    • Bronze Member

linder:

Bill 

In Sweden the BV 7-32 cost´s 80.000 Kr. Inc. Beolab 7-2 or 7-4 =  12.072,00$ US Dollars inc 25% taxes

And the BV 7-40 MK III Full HD cost 100.000kr. Inc Beolab 7-2 or 7-4= 15325.67$ US Dollars inc 25% taxes 

We have 25-30% taxes in Sweden.

Regards

BL8000 MkII Black

• 10-07-2007 4:00 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Sal:
    Looks do grow on people. At first I thought: "What the heck is that shelf all about?" But looking at more and more pictures of it, it's pretty snazzy. Except for the Bang & Olufsen lettering on the speaker grills.

This is pretty terrible. On the BV8-32, looking from the front (as you would with a TV), it's a large and fairly obvious logo. This puts me off the TV and lack of DVB-T module, too.

• 10-07-2007 8:14 AM In reply to

>>>On the BV8-32, looking from the front (as you would with a TV), it's a large and fairly obvious logo<<<

I haven't seen the BV8 in real live, I thought though that the logo is only visible from a certain angle so you wouldn't see it when looking straight at the TV.

JK 

• 10-07-2007 8:36 AM In reply to

• symmes
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Freedonia
    • Posts 290
    • Bronze Member

I saw the BV8, looked from every angle, and thought the logo was anything but dramatic.  Different, but definitely not a problem.....for me.  To each his/her own.

Ray 

• 10-08-2007 5:44 AM In reply to

Beolab:
    linder:

Bill 

In Sweden the BV 7-32 cost´s 80.000 Kr. Inc. Beolab 7-2 or 7-4 =  12.072,00$ US Dollars inc 25% taxes

And the BV 7-40 MK III Full HD cost 100.000kr. Inc Beolab 7-2 or 7-4= 15325.67$ US Dollars inc 25% taxes 

We have 25-30% taxes in Sweden.

Regards

Taxes are variable throughout the United States.  In some states there is very little sales tax.  Where I live in Chicago, the sales tax is about 8 percent.

Regards,

Bill 

• 10-24-2007 11:10 PM In reply to

After a 3 week absence from Beoworld, this is great news! April 15th is my magic day.
  • 10-29-2007 3:20 AM In reply to

moxxey:

Sal:

This is pretty terrible. On the BV8-32, looking from the front (as you would with a TV), it's a large and fairly obvious logo. This puts me off the TV and lack of DVB-T module, too.

I ordered a 32" BV8 which I was going to place in the den -- went to look at it when they got it into the stores, and actually changed my mind for the 26" version. The 32" one is great, but I didn't need that large a screen there. So I can empathize with those who had been hoping for a 26" BeoVision in the US.

The logo has been exaggerated in the pictures. On my TV you can't see it unless you look for it, seriously. Doesn't bother me at all.

I wish it had the electronic curtain, but it doesn't - B&O feels that should be reserved for the Home Theatre TVs. I think it's a distinguishing B&O hallmark and that they made a bad call.

It's a great TV. I have it controlling my STB, and enabling various functions on that without any problems.

Tried out a pair of BL3s on floorstands together with the TV, using the PL Out with a splitter. Nice, rich stereo perspective, and actually providing a very strongly grounded stereo image in SPEAKER 3. However, would you believe that when I switch between SPEAKER 3 & 1 I find 1 serves my purpose quite nicely. The BV8 looks great together with the BL3s, though.

Surround? Sometimes B&O does de-selection with their collective heads in an unmentionable place. Of course this TV should have surround, it doesn't. For some weird, mysterious reason they got it into their heads that the BV8 was a "second-room-television" and that "one shouldn't watch movies on it."

Well, it's perfect for watching movies on, and for a lot of people living in the middle of town with limited space, it's not a question of cramming rooms with TVs but of getting one good screen that can do a lot of things. And surround, for movies/TV/Games is one of those things.
    At least make a BS4 that can read DVDs and decode surround, to be used together with the BV8.

For now, if I do want surround with my BV8, I have to pipe the digital Coax from the STB or Toslink optical from the Mac to a non-B&O surround decoder I have, and that can't possibly have been what B&O had in mind when they yanked the surround module out of this TV.

I ordered it with the MasterLink module, because I have a Beosystem 6500 in the den, and wanted the two to work together. Which they're doing wonderfully, through a 1611 Beolink Converter. I'm sending all the sound output from the Beosystem to the BV8s speakers, and controlling all the sources from the Beosystem through the Beo4 without any problems. Actually found that my Beolink 5000 can also control a number of functions on the TV, but not format.

Bringing me to another item, which I haven't figured out. Whenever you wake the BeoVision 8 from standby it defaults to FORMAT 1, which is overscan -- and I always set it to FORMAT 3, which is 16:9.But it doesn't seem as if I can store FORMAT 3 to be the new default ...

I bought a DVI to HMDI converter cable, 5m long. Stuck the HDMI plug into the BV8 and now have the cable ready to roll out when I want to connect it to my laptop, while seated in the recliner in front of the TV. Does 1360x768 without a hitch, and provides me with a good relief screen for work and surf -- just as sharp as my regular Apple Cinema Display screen (which doesn't have an excellent speaker setup built in!).

Bought it with the floorstand, though that has its advantages (aesthetic) and disadvantages (functional). You have to unscrew the sliding/angling metal feet to place it on the floorstand, and then secure it with four bolt-screws. This means that taking the BV8 off the floorstand and placing it, say on your desk, isn't done in a jiff. Actually think I should have gone for the cabinet or just plopping it on a shelf, since that would have let me leave the feet on, making it much easier to move the TV around to wherever I want it in the den. (At my feet, for that sake, in true MX fashion.)

It looks stunning on the floorstand, which makes up for the lack of a spring-loaded clamp system to fix it in place. 

Has the regular contrast/brightness/color adjustment options, but should have a pro menu for more advanced adjustments of the image. Quite happy with the image, but think it would be possible to tweak it to be even better. Good out of the box.

Comes with a long black cable sock, think mine was four meters, which is just what I needed. When the TV is in the corner, it's curled up behind it -- when I move it to the desk, it's just long enough to be able to snake along the floor and rise to the level of the work space.

Now I'm just considering whether I will go for the cabinet instead of the floorstand, sacrificing aesthetics for convenience ...

• 10-29-2007 3:26 PM In reply to

• Sal
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-30-2007
    • Indianapolis, USA
    • Posts 261
    • Bronze Member

Thanks, soundproof for that wonderful and informative post. The more I have been thinking about the TV options next year, the more I have been leaning toward the cheaper solution. Obviously, the WAF is easier with the BV8 as well as the practicality factor (living in a smallish condo downtown in a city).

I don't mind the lack of surround with the BV 8. I will connect it to a pair of BL3's as L and R and masterlink it with a BS9000 on the wall. From what I have read in your review. I don't mind the lack of a electronic curtain, since the TV itself doesn't rest on a motorized stand, the other "wow" factor of the curtain isn't a big deal. 

I am contemplating the stand options though. The foor "pedestal" type stand is stunning, but again, practically speaking, I do like the shelf stand, it has wheels which is great as I tend to move things around, and it makes wiring a helluva lot easier. I do know that the cabinet 2164 doesn't support televisions, but currently I have a light LCD TV on it and it works fine. but I will not rest the BV 8 on the 2164 cabinet, though.

Interestingly Can you comment on how much space is in the pedestal type floorstand for wires? I have an Avant multicable can that be piped through? along with other wires?

Thanks,
    Sal
  • 10-29-2007 4:32 PM In reply to

I'm wondering how this TV Masterlinks into a system that has an Avant and a BS 3000 in separate rooms? Clearly the U.S. Avant does not have the modulator for video distribution (not interested in this any way). I'm sure the BV8 will be able to be able to play sources from the 3000, but will it be a problem with the Avant on the same ML network?

I think the Avant is a fantastic product, and while the BV7 is amazing, it's still in the very distant future for me. i hope these two TVs can coexist on the same ML network. 

Any insights?

• 10-30-2007 3:10 PM In reply to

There's actually a lot of room in the well of the floorstand, and cable management has been thought through. The back "plate" of the floorstand is actually made of plastic, but blends in perfectly with the rest of the stand. You can peel that out when arranging the cables. Before attaching the BV8 to the floorstand you have to run the cables through the stand and into the TV, as the opening from the recessed cable slot is too small to get large plugs (SCART, for instance) through. (Not a problem in the US, though, where you don't use SCART). But the PC connector doesn't fit through either.

Once you have sorted out which cables you'll be using, just run them through the stand's top opening after placing them in the well. I have power, PL, PC, HDMI, SCART, IR-control, ML in the foot of mine. 

• 10-30-2007 4:04 PM In reply to

Many of us with a Beocenter 2 do use SCART.

• 10-30-2007 7:02 PM In reply to

My bad, somewhere I've picked up that SCART isn't used in the US. I stand corrected! Big Smile

• 10-30-2007 10:03 PM In reply to

• Sal
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-30-2007
    • Indianapolis, USA
    • Posts 261
    • Bronze Member

Wait! SCART is used with a BC2? I wasn't aware of any US made TV which has SCART inputs (I am prepared to eat my hat).

In fact, I hadn't a clue as to what SCART was until I started reading about European standards.

-Sal
  • 10-30-2007 11:33 PM In reply to

SCART is truly an exotic beast in the U.S.  I wasn't aware of the presence of SCART on any current B&O products. But it was used by the U.S. MX when they were available here.

I would not expect however, for the BV8 to have SCART. No B&O TV has had this connection since the MX that I'm aware of. 

Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next >