in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-28-2007 4:04 PM by wirralsimon. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-19-2007 5:07 PM

WTB: Beocenter or B&O system with fully working Turntable/cartridge

I posted this in the Wanted section, I hope nobody minds me posting it here too! If you have a retro B&O system you don't use any more because you have newer kit, and you would like to find it a new home  I am waiting to hear from you!

I am looking to buy a turntable-based B&O system, either separates or a BeoCenter.

It does not matter if it is old, or from the lower end of the B&O range. I have a pair of S45-2s and a pair of S30's so I do not need speakers. What does matter is that it should be in good working order, especially the turntable. (i have come unstuck on ebay a couple of times!)

A fully-working cartridge in reasonable condition is a must but it does not matter if it is one of the entry-level ones.

Money is tight due to having young children, so I would like to spend up to around £150. I am based in Birkenhead in the UK.

I look forward to hearing what you have! Simon

• 04-20-2007 1:10 PM In reply to

• Kevin
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-15-2007
    • Posts 1,256
    • Founder

Re: WTB: Beocenter or B&O system with fully working Turntable/cartridge

I can highly recommend the BC7002 (with remote) nice looks nice sound and you should get a fully working one for that money. Can't have mine I'm afraidEmbarrassed but they are out there and not as popular as the BC7007.
  • 04-20-2007 1:36 PM In reply to

Kevin

Thanks for the reply

You must have been watching me!  I pulled the trigger on this earlier today:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=009&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=190104863075&rd=1&rd=1

It's a BeoCenter 7000 with remote control for £75.00

Thanks again 

Simon

• 04-20-2007 1:48 PM In reply to

Completely agree with Kevin. The 7000 series music centres are fantastic value. You will probably need new cassette belts (Martin can supply them with instructions) and maybe some new capacitors - (again Martin can help). Can be looked upon as the model below the 8000 system  - certainly better than most of the other separates at the time.
  • 04-20-2007 6:32 PM In reply to

How would I know if I needed new capacitors? Is this something I should pre-emptively replace or only if I experience problems?

Simon 

• 04-21-2007 10:07 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Simon, I have sent you a PM.

CraigBig Smile 

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 04-21-2007 11:08 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

wirralsimon:

Kevin

Thanks for the reply

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=009&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=190104863075&rd=1&rd=1

Thanks again 

Simon

I saw this one and thought it was an excellent price. Just a bit far afield for me or I'd have been tempted myself. These are extremely well built centers and worth putting in a bit of work to get back into top condition. I'm glad it has been bought by someone who is obviously enthusiastic.

Any help & advice is freely available here and given with good grace and patience from all members - myself included. You've definately come to the right placeSmile

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 04-21-2007 11:20 AM In reply to

wirralsimon:

How would I know if I needed new capacitors? Is this something I should pre-emptively replace or only if I experience problems?

Simon 

On the whole, if it works, I would leave it alone. If it starts becoming temperamental - not switching on at times or doing odd things with the display, think capacitors! 

• 04-21-2007 5:35 PM In reply to

Medogsfat:
    wirralsimon:

Kevin

Thanks for the reply

Thanks again 

Simon

I saw this one and thought it was an excellent price. Just a bit far afield for me or I'd have been tempted myself. These are extremely well built centers and worth putting in a bit of work to get back into top condition. I'm glad it has been bought by someone who is obviously enthusiastic.

Any help & advice is freely available here and given with good grace and patience from all members - myself included. You've definately come to the right placeSmile

Chris.

It was too far afield for me too! I emailed him asking if he could be persuaded to post it and the rest,  as they say,  is history.

The postage is a little expensive but I think that is because he wants do do a thorough packing  job  and the overall deal is still very much worthwhile.

Simon 

• 04-24-2007 5:43 AM In reply to

• Kevin
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-15-2007
    • Posts 1,256
    • Founder

CongratualationsYes a good price and should do you well for years to come.

Personally when you get it and decide you want to keep it I would do the capacitors. They can cause just annoying faults but if they do go altogether it can mean more damage. I'm sure Martin will be along to correct me in a moment Laughing

Enjoy! 

• 04-26-2007 9:02 AM In reply to

Hi, just joined today and have a beocenter 7002 and have read this thread and wondered who Martin is? it sounds like he's a font for all things B&O. My system is perfect except both the turntable lid and the metal lid don't stay up, i think in the turntable lid the spring has failed and the hinge has come away from the programme lid. Anyone have any ideas?
  • 04-26-2007 10:13 AM In reply to

• Kevin
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-15-2007
    • Posts 1,256
    • Founder

Both classic faults I'm afraidSad

The spring you could try and retension but it is a bit fiddly to remove and put back together and the plastic tags tend to break.

The hinge mechanism may just have come off the spring but can break because the special grease B&O use (to give that smooth open movement) gets too sticky and folks force it. You can try and rework it  but ti's not easy!

I don't think the parts are available any more from B&O. 

• 04-26-2007 1:29 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

The dustcover spring needs to be tightened. Dismount it, heat it up and twist it gently.
    The right side alu cover probably needs a new hinge plate,
    As Kevin suggests, people tend to force things and finding it broken where it grips into the alu plate is only too common.
    I may have a new hinge plate still in stock but take a closer look first.

Capacitor kits are readily available.

Martin

• 04-27-2007 3:47 AM In reply to

Many thanks for the replies. Sounds like i need a new hinge plate what's the cost for one? Capacitor what are they? sounds electrical!

Funny i said yesterday all worked bar the lids, after posting the thread the tape player has packed up! oh well you have to laugh!!.

Also have a pair of beovox C75 in silver (beautiful) which have some foam rot in the top woofers. I have found a chap in Holland via ebay that will send a repair kit for £17 for 4 rings - What's the opinion of the Beoworld on this?

Lloyd

• 04-27-2007 3:53 AM In reply to

• Kevin
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-15-2007
    • Posts 1,256
    • Founder

Probably the belts which Martin is also a source forYes

The surrounds are quite easy to do with a little car and patience and are way cheaper than replacing the drivers.

Changing the capacitors is well worth it if you can't do it yourself then any electronics repairer can do it for you just give him the kit to fit.

It'll be worth it in the endYes 

• 04-27-2007 4:04 AM In reply to

Many thanks for the speedy reply Kevin
  • 04-28-2007 4:04 PM In reply to

Just unwrapped my Beocenter 7000. Nice looking unit and everything seems to be working OK. I'll have a proper listen later.Big Smile

Simon 

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)