in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-20-2007 6:28 AM by PhilLondon. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-26-2007 9:16 AM

What software for music on SD Card?

Hello to you all,

Unbelievable!! I love this forum even if its too big for me to find my way around. I am new to BEO products, and new to this site..so bare with me.

I just purchased a new BEOSound 4 with BEOLab 4000. I cant wait to receive it this friday!

What I want to know is this: my whole idea of the SD card is realy to avoid CDs and purchase my music online and then move it onto SD card. Im thinking of leaving the bulk of my music on my laptop and put it on the card as needed. My question is this: which site should I use to download music and which software? I know Itunes is probably the biggest and most popular one but I thought music from itunes only came as aaa format (is that right?) and is not what is required on our SD card for BEOS 4 which is either WMA or MP3.

I hear of BEOPlayer: is this any good? but would that mean that I would need to downlaod music from say snaper, and then move it onto Beoplayer and then move it again onto the SD card?

Sorry if my questions are simple and naive...but thank you in advance for your hep. I just would like to have a few tracks ready for Friday and get it right first time round.

Chris

Filed under: ,
  • 09-26-2007 9:23 AM In reply to

Re: What software for music on SD Card?

iTunes seems to be the right choice and you can download the music and then convert it to .mp3 (just right click on the song and select convert to .mp3).

Simple and Easy.. just enjoy.

Pedro "Less is more"

BV7-40 MKII + BL7.2 + BL9 + BL3 + BS4 + BL4 + A9 + Earset 2 + 2 x Beo4 + BeoCom 5

• 09-26-2007 9:37 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Is this true? Is the change from aac to mp3 lossless or does it involve re-encoding in which case the quality of the material will suffer?

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 09-26-2007 9:37 AM In reply to

Hi Chris, welcome to BeoWorld!

I have just sent you a PM. If you click on the Inbox button at the very top right handside of this page, you should find it.

• 09-26-2007 9:41 AM In reply to

Puncher:
    Is this true? Is the change from aac to mp3 lossless or does it involve re-encoding in which case the quality of the material will suffer?

You will loose quality when you convert from .aac to .mp3. 

Pedro "Less is more"

BV7-40 MKII + BL7.2 + BL9 + BL3 + BS4 + BL4 + A9 + Earset 2 + 2 x Beo4 + BeoCom 5

• 09-26-2007 9:43 AM In reply to

• JoC
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-20-2007
    • Northern Ireland
    • Posts 121
    • Bronze Member

Music downloaded from iTunes will be DRM protected, converting it to mp3 would be a bit of a headache. You can download DRM free tracks from iTunes BUT they cost more.

Amazon.com (US only I think) has just started a music service, and all the tracks are mp3 & DRM free, and cost less than iTunes.

JoC

• 09-26-2007 10:08 AM In reply to

Hi Chris, I download in WMA and use Windows Media Player 10 to organize and (with a Beosound 2) copy it to SD card. Beoplayer is fine but I've got used to WMP10 so don't bother with it much.
  • 09-26-2007 10:26 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

If you aren't going to want to use .aac as your native format then I would download from online stores other than iTunes as it seems crazy to download and then convert to mp3, suffering a loss in quality in the process. 

• 09-26-2007 10:31 AM In reply to

• JoC
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-20-2007
    • Northern Ireland
    • Posts 121
    • Bronze Member

amazon.com (US only) has just started a music service, mp3 & DRM free, and cheaper than iTunes.

• 09-26-2007 10:32 AM In reply to

That's really useful information thank you. So, if we lose quality moving from itunes to MP3, I might as well us an online store as long as its MP3 format right?

Or as per David's message, stick to WMPlayer.

Thank you all...very useful indeed..and very quick!! I wish the delivery of my music system was that quick...Wink

• 09-26-2007 10:40 AM In reply to

Puncher:
    If you aren't going to want to use .aac as your native format then I would download from online stores other than iTunes as it seems crazy to download and then convert to mp3, suffering a loss in quality in the process. 

convert the file to .mp3 it just to be used via the SD in the BS4. 

Pedro "Less is more"

• 11-19-2007 10:42 AM In reply to

Hi David,

Im coming back to your comment above only because I onlu just bought my first track online today for the first time. As it happens, I buy it from HMVDigital, and it is downloaded in WMA, but it is still "content protected, which means that I canot play it on my SD card. Am I doing it wrong?

I download the music from the site onto my hard drive, then copy it onto my SD card: is that not what I should do?

I can see on the properties of the track that it says content protected.

Thanks for your help.

Chris

• 11-20-2007 5:29 AM In reply to

Hi Chris, The DRM stops you copying to the SD card. You need to find a site that sells DRM-free music. Another way (if it's just an odd track or two) is to copy it using Windows Plus analogue recorder or burn to a CD and copy it back to the hard drive. Have you copied tracks from your CD collection onto your hard drive and then onto SD without problems? David http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=drm+free+downloads&btnG=Search&meta=
  • 11-20-2007 5:36 AM In reply to

Hint - Naxos sells DRM free music through its own site and through Musicgiants.com.

You can actually buy High Definition 5.1 Surround Recordings of classical music from Naxos, if you want. But for storage on an SD card I would go for their 320kbps downloads. 

• 11-20-2007 6:08 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

If you are the rightful owner of the track you are allowed to copy it to a portable player. Have you tried moving your track from within Mediaplayer or, failing that, Beoplayer?

• 11-20-2007 6:28 AM In reply to

JoC:

Music downloaded from iTunes will be DRM protected, converting it to mp3 would be a bit of a headache. You can download DRM free tracks from iTunes BUT they cost more.

From last month, iTunes Plus (DRM Free and better iTunes songs) do not cost more.

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)