in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-28-2007 7:42 AM by Puncher. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-25-2007 12:58 PM

Possibl to buy the iPhone from apple.com without being forced an AT&T subscription?

Hello all,

Does any of our North American frineds if it is possible to order an iPhone from apple.com and have it sent to an American friend without he or me being forced to activate it and start an AT&T subscription?

I ask as I am based in Europe and can't wait till Apple will launch it over here but would not like to start paying for a subscription I cannot use.

Yes I know, it needs to be unlocked which professionals can do for around €100 

Please let me know.

Thanks. 

• 09-25-2007 2:16 PM In reply to

Re: Possibl to buy the iPhone from apple.com without being forced an AT&T subscription?

Buying an iPhone is possible without signing up a contract with AT&T, as the actual process of buying the hardware at apple.com has (still?) nothing to do with the activation, which is done online via iTunes. Only while doing this activation you have to send your (american) social security id to Apple/AT&T and decide for one of the contracts. So you can buy the phone, hack it and use it with an european sim card. But as far as I know buying the phone via apple.com is possible with an american creditcard with american billing address only, though you can choose an european delivery address.Hope this helps.Regards, beoberlin
  • 09-26-2007 4:44 PM In reply to

• Calvin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • London
    • Posts 233
    • Bronze Member

Re: Possibl to buy the iPhone from apple.com without being forced an AT&T subscription?

I've been very *very* tempted to get a craked iphone of late. It's truly a brilliant piece of technology. I think I'll wait for the second generation though which will (no doubt) have a far better battery life, c'est technology

The question would be whether Apple will redesign either the hardware or software to make it impossible to crack the next generation of iphones. If so, I should be buying one right now. As it is though, I suspect that it'll be like virus writers versus software companies and that ultimately, someone somewhere will hack/crack whatever Apple put out, whether by hardware or software alterations, or more likely a combinaiton of both.
  • 09-28-2007 7:42 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

For those that have cracked their iPhone

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)