in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-24-2007 11:05 AM by Karel Uyttendaele. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-24-2007 7:03 AM

• matheyl
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • French Alps
    • Posts 228
    • Founder

B&O TV standards throughout Europe

Hi All!!!

As you may know, French TVs Standard is Secam, although it's PAL in all the rest if Europe...

Do B&O build special tuners for the French market, or are all B&O TVs PAL and SECAM?

In others terms, can I buy a TV in Switzerland or Germany, and use it in France (I've noticed that old MX 7000, Avant or AV9000 were cheaper in those two countries than in France, and I want to buy one for my second home)?

Thank you,

Cheers, Laurent.

Avant 28 DVD, BC2, 2300, BL2500, 8000, to name a few...

• 09-24-2007 7:17 AM In reply to

• Daniel
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Svinarp, Sweden
    • Posts 1,284
    • Founder

Re: B&O TV standards throughout Europe

Don´t know if B&O changed it since 1991, but my LX can´t be used for SECAM because then there should be one more connection on the backside. Guess it´s another antenna input.

The manual shows where it should have been and there´s a piece of plastic lid that looks like it can be removed. But then it would need an update and I don´t know if that can be done.

Beovision LX5500, BeoCord V6000, BeoSound 9000, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 3500, BeoLab 2000, BeoVox1, BeoCom 6000, Form1, LightControl 1

• 09-24-2007 7:54 AM In reply to

What a passed out discussion. Digital is the way to go!!! 
  • 09-24-2007 8:13 AM In reply to

And the UK PAL is not the same as the German PAL as well....

Recent B&O TV and Video Recorder have european tuner, they work with all flavors of pal and Secam. But older models had localised tuner.

My Secam MX has German PAL, but no UK Pal.

With the product type number, go the the product archive of the official B&O web site, and it will tell you exactly what tuner it has.

p.

• 09-24-2007 8:20 AM In reply to

• VANTAGE
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-02-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 22
    • Bronze Member

Hi Laurent,

If you buy a B&O TV in a 'PAL country', it won't have SECAM. Whereas if you buy a B&O TV in France, it will have both SECAM and PAL.

This is why, when I lived in Sweden a few years ago, I specifically ordered a 'French' Beovision 3 32", knowing fully well that I might end up living in France again in the near future. Which I did - and therefore, I didn't have any problem once back here. And by the way, my B&O retailer in Sweden didn't charge me any extra for that (the factory just had to "reroute" a French model to Stockholm, a pretty painless affair).

Asking your B&O retailer to turn a PAL TV into one that supports both PAL and SECAM is doable, but pretty costly and time consuming...

Rgds, Klaus

• 09-24-2007 9:02 AM In reply to

As has already been stated there is different types of PAL. The UK has PAL I and most of western Europe is PAL B/G

Also the audio sub-carrier frequency is different from country to country. The UK uses 6.0 Mhz and quite a few others use 5.5 Mhz

Having said all that except for Secam most modern B&O kit can be switched to the correct version via the service menu. The following is an example of the BeoCentre 6 tuner settings. As you can see it is currently set to PAL I for the UK. However it cannot handle switching to Secam

Tuner Settings

Regards Keith....

• 09-24-2007 10:33 AM In reply to

Interesting to note that the MX3000/5000 supported Secam and PAL simultaneously.
  • 09-24-2007 11:05 AM In reply to

Bingo:
    What a passed out discussion. Digital is the way to go!!! 

Thanks for your constructive feedback!

The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)