in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-23-2007 4:47 PM by david707. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-23-2007 9:25 AM

Down loading records to my PC

Can anybody recomend a softwere package which will allow me to record my old albums to CD? Looking on the web there looks to be a whole host of products, each claiming to be the best. I have a spare TX turntable, but do I then have to obtain an amplifier. Also if you have experiance of downloading, how difficult is it to remove the hiss and scratches form the recording and is it worth the hastle?

• 09-23-2007 12:24 PM In reply to

• Calvin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • London
    • Posts 233
    • Bronze Member

Re: Down loading records to my PC

Well, if you want to spend no money, you can easily record each side into your pc as a WAV file, thenhack it into seperate tracksand convert them to mp3's, if you hunt for free converters and the like.

Personally, I bought Spin-It-Again last year to convert some of my LP's to the modern age (having gotten fed up with trial periods and the like

http://www.acoustica.com/spinitagain/

It's not free but it's genuinely very good software, really good interface and intuitive.  It's just a pain that I now have a Mac rather than a windows setup; I need to get an emulator i suppose

• 09-23-2007 12:56 PM In reply to

I use CD Spin Doctor which is part of Toast - a program I use on my Mac. I don't use the hiss and crackle filters. It does split the recording into tracks and having done so, iTunes will often find the name and track list of the album.
  • 09-23-2007 4:14 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

It really is a massively time consuming task if you intend converting your whole record collection. Much simpler to buy the CD and rip it or simply download from the 'net

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 09-23-2007 4:47 PM In reply to

Puncher:
    It really is a massively time consuming task if you intend converting your whole record collection. Much simpler to buy the CD and rip it or simply download from the 'net
    Agree. But for those tracks you have on vinyl that are not available online or on CD (hopefully not many!) I use Microsoft Plus analogue recorder, A Beocenter 9500 and Beogram 2402. Connect the phono outputs from the amp into your sound card and the software does the rest. It is very easy to use. Results are very good. I tend to convert vinyl and cassette recordings to WMA at 192kbps but you can use up to 320kbps.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)