in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-27-2007 11:42 AM by Sankar. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-19-2007 2:19 PM

• Sankar
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-10-2007
    • Posts 6
    • Bronze Member

Beovox 2200

Hi all, i'm new at the forum and this is my first post, so excause me if i don't know some rules or habbits of this forum yet. :)

I bought pair of Beovox 2200 loudspeakers (in excellent condition) as rearspeakers to my hometheather (i have RL60 at the front).

Now what amazes me about these speakers is the fact that polarity isn't marked on the cable, so i don't have any idea witch one is + and witch is -. So i want to open them to find out the polarity, and if possible also to change cables to more modern version.

But the problem is that i don't have any idea how to open them. I didn't find any screws and the frontpanel didn't move to any directions, so i'm pretty much out of ideas. Friend of mine said that frontpanels might be nailed, but i didn't neither found any nails from the panel, so that is pretty much out of guestion, i think. I'm little afraid that maybe panels are glued, but i hardly can belive such quality manufactor as B&O would do such a stupid solution.

If someone has information about how to open these speakers, please do tell me. Also else discussion about Beovox 2200 is wellcome!

• 09-19-2007 2:50 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Re: Beovox 2200

Welcome to Beoworld !

Superb speakers with an excellent sound from their size, too overlooked, I would prefer these to the CX range anytime,
    others may disagree.

The fronts are clip'ed on.
    Insert a wide spatula or similar between the front grill and
    the wooden frame and gently pry them off. The clips will grip
    quite firmly if the fronts were never removed before so a bit
    of "controlled force" will be needed.

Take a closer look at the cable, one lead will have a slim moulding
    running along it's side, the other lead is plain.

(Click photo to enlarge) 

Martin

• 09-25-2007 2:43 PM In reply to

• Sankar
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-10-2007
    • Posts 6
    • Bronze Member

Thanks Dillen for your reply! Speakers opened just as you said, and they seemed to be in good condition from insinde as well.
    Now i'm thinking changing the wiring, but i just crossed my mind that will it destroy value of the speakers? Do the true B&O-collectors pay more for speakers with lousy but original wiring?
  • 09-25-2007 6:19 PM In reply to

yeah! some fellow 2200 fans!

lovely little speakers -maybe my favorite of all -for size, style, and of course sound!

little confused though: it sounds like the leads from the speakers are not terminated in any way -correct?

-there was another thread on this site that discussed testing speaker polarity w/ a 9v battery (if memory serves me right???) (i should have searched first, but it is out there, i think...)

at any rate, enjoy these wonderful speakers!

++++edit++++

found it: http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/thread/45342.aspx
    • B&o bottle opener
  • 09-26-2007 3:26 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Replacing the leads is no crime as long as a fair quality lead is used and the job is done correctly.
    The original type of lead is adequate for this type of speaker but
    there can be many reasons to replace them (discoloring, lenght, wall-paint etc.).
    The wires don't need to be monster cables, I have used 2x0.75mm2 and 2x0.50mm2 which will be fine and since it is a reversible action, it won't spoil any collectors value of the speakers.

Martin

• 09-27-2007 11:42 AM In reply to

• Sankar
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-10-2007
    • Posts 6
    • Bronze Member

burantek:
    yeah! some fellow 2200 fans!

little confused though: it sounds like the leads from the speakers are not terminated in any way -correct?

Yeah, my 2200:s don't have terminals of any kind, there is just a hole trough the case where original(?) leads go, and they are about 10 meters long, so that's one another reason why i want to change them, since i need only few centimeters long cable.

Edit: Is there a different version of 2200:s that have terminals? Maybe i should try to find pair of those from somewhere, if available.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)