in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-18-2007 2:42 PM by BarryAndrew. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-18-2007 5:21 AM

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

DVD1 digital output

I am considering the possibility of connecting a DVD1 to my home theatre amp & speaker system. My questions are as follows:- 

Does the coaxial digital output on the DVD1 output sound only in stereo irrespective of the disc being played?

In other words , if the disc being played has 5.1 sound capability will this full output be carried out from this digital socket?

If the answer to the second question is no, then I presume it will still be possible to output in stereo and utilise the amp's other surround sound

options rather than true 5.1?     

Any advice appreciated. 

Thanks in advance .

• 09-18-2007 7:53 AM In reply to

• Beonut
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Essex, UK
    • Posts 89
    • Bronze Member

Re: DVD1 digital output

The digital output on the dvd1 sends all the channels available. The only way to get for example DD 5.1 from the dvd1 is via the digital connection.

Cheers

Peter

My B&O - BS3, BV4-50, Beomedia 1, BS3200, DVD1, BL8000, BL6000, BL3, BL2, BL7.4
  • 09-18-2007 8:09 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

The digital output on the dvd1 sends all the channels available. The only way to get for example DD 5.1 from the dvd1 is via the digital connection. Cheers Peter

Thanks Peter, do I take it then that full DD 5.1 is decoded within and then output from the DVD 1 and therefore does not require the addition of an external decoder to take the signal from the digital connection and then decode it?

• 09-18-2007 11:29 AM In reply to

kokomo:

The digital output on the dvd1 sends all the channels available. The only way to get for example DD 5.1 from the dvd1 is via the digital connection. Cheers Peter

Thanks Peter, do I take it then that full DD 5.1 is decoded within and then output from the DVD 1 and therefore does not require the addition of an external decoder to take the signal from the digital connection and then decode it?

The digital output on the DVD-1 (or any other DVDplayer with digital out) carries the signal you've selected in the audio menu on the Disc. So it can be stereo, DD or DTS.

But you need an amplifier which can decode the digital signal. Only the amplifier has the connections for Front/Rear/Left/Center/Right etc.

If you use the DVD-1 with an B&O Dolby Digital/DTS soundboard (Avant, BV3, BS3, etc..) It will only respond to Dolby Digital and DTS signals through the digital coax cable. For stereo you need the scart, RCA connections.

• 09-18-2007 11:45 AM In reply to

A little more less techie please!

This inquiry interests me as I have a DVD1 coming from Lee. This will be connected to a BV6-26 with a dolby digital board. My present (cheapie) DVD was connected by the B&O installers of my TV from the output named co-axial on the DVD to the co-ax CVBS socket on the 6-26.

What do I do to connect the DVD1 for Dolby?

Barry BV6-26,BC2300,Beolab8000,4000,3500,2000,DVD1
  • 09-18-2007 2:04 PM In reply to

BarryAndrew:

A little more less techie please!

This inquiry interests me as I have a DVD1 coming from Lee. This will be connected to a BV6-26 with a dolby digital board. My present (cheapie) DVD was connected by the B&O installers of my TV from the output named co-axial on the DVD to the co-ax CVBS socket on the 6-26.

What do I do to connect the DVD1 for Dolby?

First of all. Use a scartcable to obtain the best possible picture between the DVD-1 and the BV-6.

On the back of the DVD-1 there is also a CVBS rca, don't use it, as it is of less quality then RGB through scart.

I not sure, but make sure you select RGB in the system video menu from the DVD-1

The AV and the Decoder socket on the back of the BV-6 are accompied with digital inputs. So input 1 on the dolby digital board goes with AV and input 2 goes with the Decoder socket.

Connect input 1 with the digital out from the DVD-1 and the scart between the DVD and the AV socket from the BV-6.

When you select a dolby digital or DTS track on the DVD, the BV-6 switches automatically. 

• 09-18-2007 2:42 PM In reply to

Many thanks,

I think I will wait until it arrives and then I will be in a position to see what is what.

It doesn't help that because I am in a wheelchair and the 6-26 is on a wall bracket I cannot see the DD(or DTS) inputs. The F1000 unit arrives at the same time as the DVD so I will be able to see what its all about and then follow your instructions.

Barry BV6-26,BC2300,Beolab8000,4000,3500,2000,DVD1
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)