in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-22-2007 3:41 AM by Chrisreunion. 27 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-17-2007 1:28 PM

• Bieele
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 339
    • Bronze Member

Beosound 6 on official site

Maybe I missed this 'catch' on the Beoworld site; but I just found the Beosound 6 on the official Bang & Olufsen site.

I did not find anything that made me change my opinion so far; seems to be a not very special product. I will not judge harder before seeing it in real life.

Regards,

Bieele 

Heej zuij der alles veur gaeve En heej zaet ze mogen ut hebbe van meej
  • 09-17-2007 2:32 PM In reply to

• Ignace
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2007
    • Moderator - NL
    • Posts 2,749
    • Founder

Re: Beosound 6 on official site

BeoSound 6 - Specifications

DESIGNER Steffen Schmelling
    DIMENSIONS (WXHXD) / WEIGHT 90.7 x 42.7 x 12.2 mm / 65 g
    FINISH Polished stainless steel/soft-touch lacquered plastic
    MEMORY 4Gbyte
    DISPLAY 1.81 Inch TFT LCD 128 x 160 pixels
    SUPPORTED AUDIO FORMATS MP3, WMA, OGG
    OPERATING SYSTEM PC Windows XP SP2
    MAC iTunes: BeoSound 6 plug-in needed
    INTERFACE USB 1.1. (USB 2.0 high speed support)
    BATTERY Built-in, rechargeable, approx. 40 hours playing time
    MAINS VOLTAGE 100 – 240 V AC
    CONNECTIONS Earphones, USB and mains adaptor via 18 pin connector
    INCLUDED ACCESSORIES Bang & Olufsen Earphones, USB-cable, travel charger and leather bag

• 09-17-2007 2:37 PM In reply to

• 09-17-2007 3:44 PM In reply to

Can't expand memory, stuck with 4GB No - thumbs down
  • 09-17-2007 4:23 PM In reply to

• Bieele
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 339
    • Bronze Member

Quote of the Gismodo site:

"We covered the Bang & Olufsen BeoSound 6 back in July, but this overpriced player does have one thing that possibly makes the $700 worthwhile. It's a plug-in that allows the BeoPlayer 6 to work with iTunes, something that, well, iPod nanos (which are 1/5 the price and 2x the memory) can do already. But it does have OGG support, if you're really keen on using a format that no major download store supports. "

I agree that from the specs it is hard to find a real advantage over (for instance) an iPod. Why not buy the new iTouch for less money, more features, more memory? 

Regards,

Bieele 

Heej zuij der alles veur gaeve En heej zaet ze mogen ut hebbe van meej
  • 09-17-2007 4:29 PM In reply to

Bieele,

You make a great point, i want to like it, the design is nothing special yet not ugly, i just am used to the ipod and its user interface that i think i would not like this one's.  iPod Touch - well i would like this one more because it has more functionality. 

I feel Beosound 6 is outdated before it is even launched,  I would rather have the Beosound 2 where design is something special and not like anything on the market at the moment. 

T.Gibbs 

• 09-17-2007 6:02 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

tgibbs:

... i want to like it...

Strange, but that is how I feel too. I want it to be better than any iPod, but my brain somehow does not want to... whereas normally, I find plenty of arguments for B&O, not for the "opponent". I will be surprised if this is going to be a good seller.

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 09-17-2007 6:16 PM In reply to

I have to say that to this very day I simply can´t understand, why they rolled out BS6 the way it is now.
    While Samsung launched at IFA ´07 two quite interesting new concepts of mobile media players (video player yp-p2: http://www.samsungexhibition.com/ifa2007/product/list.jsp?pcode=PROD03&select=3 and music player yp-pt: http://www.samsungexhibition.com/ifa2007/product/list.jsp?select=7&pcode=PROD07) with innovative gui, one even touch sensitive, up to 8gb of storage, bluetooth inbuilt and a really ok design for the korean brand, Struer seems to pick up the leftovers of the old samsung collection and stuffs them in an uninspired steel box together with a so-called exclusive leather bag, which strangely reminds me of the cover of an old radio from the sixties. I just can assume, they got them really cheap and plan to sell them to a lot of "loyal" customers to make a fortune. This is so sad...

Regards, beoberlin
  • 09-17-2007 6:24 PM In reply to

tom:
    I want it to be better than any iPod, but my brain somehow does not want to...

Your brain is telling the truth. Take a look at the new iPod touch and you see, how a mobile music player in the year 2007 should look and work like. And then try comparing their price tags... If you ask me, BS6 is an offense against every self conscious customer.

Regards, beoberlin
  • 09-17-2007 7:06 PM In reply to

• matheyl
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • French Alps
    • Posts 228
    • Founder

With a 4Giga onboard memory, don't we lose the versatility of the BS2 BS3 BS4 system, that allows to carry music on different supports?

I think I'll definitely keep my BS2....

Laurent.

Avant 28 DVD, BC2, 2300, BL2500, 8000, to name a few...

• 09-17-2007 11:21 PM In reply to

I was planning to swap my BeoSound 2 for this one, because:

-it finally has a direct USB connection

-it has a higher memeroy capacity

-it would have come with a leather case 

- the original Samsung has a built in FM tuner, photo viewer & microphone

Now that the specs are here for the rebadged B&O version, it comes out there is no FM (I could understant that B&0 would have got rid of the photo & mic options, on a BeoSound, but why on earth removing the tuner????).

B&O has told us SD cards were the future, they have a range of SD card BeoSounds, and now this one comes with none!!

It is Itunes compatible but plays no AAC format[:'(]

Is is XP compatible when all the world is shifting to Vista (whether it is good or not is no the point)

It is based on USB 1.1 (it says 2.0 support, but how fast are we going to store 4 Go of music on it?)

The USB socket is not standard but a proprietary connector (so if you forget your cable on holidays, you're stuck)

and the leather bag looks pathetic!

Who will buy this?

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 09-17-2007 11:27 PM In reply to

• benjnz
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Auckland NZ
    • Posts 392
    • Gold Member

Well I'm glad they did release Beosound 6!

Why? Well because it now makes me realise what a nice machine the Beosound 2 actually isParty!!!

• 09-18-2007 12:25 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Who hired this Steffen Smelling?!?!        

FIRE him!

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 09-18-2007 1:55 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-23-2007
    • Posts 223
    • Bronze Member

BnO is definetely to late with this kind of mp3 player !! It wins only with its materials like steel and silicon rubber thats all. And without doubt the sound processing will be excellent. But the Ipod Touch fits a way better with my Bno stuff then this BS6. This company needs some new talented visionary people/designer or whatever.

• 09-18-2007 2:50 AM In reply to

Back to the drawing board on this one. Glad I have my BeoSound2!
    They should have spend the money on updating the base of the BeoSound 2 to USB2.0

Karel.

The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

• 09-18-2007 2:55 AM In reply to

• seheiste
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Stockholm
    • Posts 27
    • Bronze Member

Beosound 6

I love B&O but in this case I rather go for this player:

http://www.iriver.com/product/p_detail.asp?pidx=82

but with with A8 earphones. 

/Heinz

• 09-18-2007 3:01 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

It looks dated, (it looks especially crap in the leather pouch, like some sad soul with his phone attached to his belt), its specs are crap (USB 1.1??) and it'll cost a fortune. I've no doubt it'll sound good but I'm sorry - this is so far down the "Not Good Enough" scale its almost a criminal attempt to steal money from brand concious folk (look out for them around a footballer's neck near you soon!).

Someone at Struer should feel properly ashamed.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 09-18-2007 3:47 AM In reply to

• ChrDH
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 493
    • Founder

Just buy the Samsung version and a pair of A8s, and save the cash for some proper B&O..., this is not good enough!

By the way, why is the leather case brown and not black?!?!?!?

br

Chr.

Beosound Ouverture, Beocenter 9000, Beovision MX6000, Beocord VX7000
  • 09-18-2007 3:49 AM In reply to

"the design is nothing special yet not ugly"

Do we pay B&O prices for the design to be nothing special? I certainly don't. I think we are all use to the peculiarities of B&O interfaces on products that broadly make compatibility difficult with other products (that's been going on for years -- see postings on cables and inter-connects) but they have rarely provided bad design.

Barry BV6-26,BC2300,Beolab8000,4000,3500,2000,DVD1
  • 09-18-2007 5:03 AM In reply to

• Yendys
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 100
    • Founder

kuyttendaele:

Back to the drawing board on this one. Glad I have my BeoSound2!
    They should have spend the money on updating the base of the BeoSound 2 to USB2.0

Karel.

Couldn't agree more! And I wish the BeoSound 2 had the 40 hour battery life like the BS6 along with you suggestion USB2.0.  In Bejing now, and missed listening to my music for some of the journey...

Not very special for alot of $$$ and as other have pointed out doesnt seem to fit their SD Card strategy very well

BV10, AvantDVD, BS3000, BL8000, BL6000, BL4000, BL3500, BeoPorts, BC9300, BC7002, CX100s, C75s, Beo4s, BC6000s, LC2s, A9, A8s,

• 09-18-2007 5:22 AM In reply to

Hello BeoSound 2 again, good bye BeoSound 6Big Smile
  • 09-18-2007 5:36 AM In reply to

I think it is probably aimed at a different market than us. More for the style conscious youth rather than the B&O fan. Unfortunately I think events have overtaken them in the shape of the iPod Touch so I can't see it making much impression. It is being sold on sound quality so maybe a listen is called for. The good thing will be that they have not invested too heavily in this particular model by the looks of it.

For those with BS4 and BS3, the BS2 still seems the sensible option.

• 09-18-2007 5:59 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Well done Peter - ever the diplomatSmile

I think this is a monumental own goal by  B&O's Marketing Department - everyone who follows the brand can see its nothing more than a half-hearted attempt at best, based on an already outdated product and the chance of attracting a new "youf" following is zero because of the ipod, the price and its limited availibility in the high street.

They would have had more impact making polished steel "skins" for iPods!

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 09-18-2007 8:18 AM In reply to

The only correct feature is the battery 40hours playing time, but the design is boring, and ALL the rest is BAD No - thumbs down

probably a good device in 1998 - 2000 period though...  

I'll keep my BS2 some years more and the 12,5GB in SD memory cards for music (growing...)

Santiago

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >