in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-18-2007 12:52 PM by Bingo. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-16-2007 9:40 PM

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

I'm really stuck - scart question

Our BV3 has 3 scart sockets at the rear, and we just bought a new STB (Philips DTR7200).

The old STB has been connected via scart which has been perfect, but our problem is now that the new STB does not have a scart output socket (see image below) how do we connect our new STB to the TV? I have tried one of these cables, but with no success, which does not make sense. [:'(] I also tried using one of these and it worked, but surely there is a proper cable to use!

Please somebody help, i don't like not knowing what to do!

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 09-17-2007 2:02 AM In reply to

• Jez
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-13-2007
    • Posts 150
    • Bronze Member

Re: I'm really stuck - scart question

The first one is the best to use, RGB with R,L audio to scart. It sends the same Standard def picture a scart would send only it doesn't send control commands. There will be no loss in quality, unless you use a cheep one. You may need to go into the STB's menu to change the output to RGB.
  • 09-17-2007 2:17 AM In reply to

Check that your scart has all the connections. I have scart plugs that have different sets of pins, depending upon what you are using it for. Could be yours is intended to take a signal OUT via scart to rca-plugs.

But also give the setup menus a look, as suggested above.

• 09-17-2007 5:48 AM In reply to

it's a bit hard to tell in the first pic, but doe's your scart have 6 cords on the other end? if so often, they are labled wrong (this is most infuriating). Sometimes the in's are out's and somethimes the out's are in's. etc.

This being the case it's also probably safe to assume that the scart's with only 3 on the other end can also be labled incorrectly.

however, assuming all the cords are in the right holes this cable should be fine.

jazz

• 09-17-2007 6:23 AM In reply to

• kallasr
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Willich, NRW, Germany
    • Posts 1,077
    • Founder

Just to give you an idea: (S-Video, 2xRCA to Scart)

Link1

This one has good qualtiy, not several plugs...

Maybe this one is enough: (S-Video to Scart)

Link2

Because you need a coaxial digital audio cable to the BV3 (if DD built-in). Link3.

Ralf

My Beo: Beosound 3000, Beolab 4000, Beo 4 DVD,  Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000, Beovox S45.2 with Stands, Beosystem 7000 black with Beolink 7000, Beolink 1000, F1000 (3 cubes), Beovox 5000, Beovox 3000, Attyca 1.

• 09-17-2007 11:49 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Thanks for your helpful suggestions. I disected out Scart cable to learn all about how it works and i made my own cable, but it was not very good quality, as it broke. I then tried a brand new S-video cable which cost $20 - to a scart adapter, which was truly a disgusting result in picture. Ick! I got what i paid for. I finally realised this when i disconnected our DVD which is via Scart, and watched a DVD with the S-video cable - just horrific it was!

Contemplating sending the STB back (as so far the picture quality is alot worse than our current STB), I realised it is in the connectivity. Tommorow i am on a quest to find the right interconnects, before i reject this machine, which has otherwise received terrific reviews. Ah if only there was such thing as a HDMI to Scart cable!

I will try the products you describe kallasr, as this should be the most effective method of connection. 

• 09-17-2007 1:00 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Oh, another issue with the new (& non Scart) STB, is that every time the TV is switched over to SAT / DTV the aspect ratio reverts back to Format 1 (4:3). Very annoying, is there anyway of keeping it on Format 3 (16:9), instead of having to adjust it every time?

• 09-17-2007 1:29 PM In reply to

• kallasr
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Willich, NRW, Germany
    • Posts 1,077
    • Founder

David,

this is somewhere in the Forum - referring to an Avant 32. Maybe this helps:

"Hi under format 1 there are 3 "sub formats" 4/3 - 14/9 and 15/9 or 16/9 depending on model.

the thing is:  you last used "sub format" is the one it will use as default when in format 1. you change the sub format by << - >> or up and down (depending on model) when it's in format 1."

Ralf

My Beo: Beosound 3000, Beolab 4000, Beo 4 DVD,  Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000, Beovox S45.2 with Stands, Beosystem 7000 black with Beolink 7000, Beolink 1000, F1000 (3 cubes), Beovox 5000, Beovox 3000, Attyca 1.

• 09-17-2007 1:30 PM In reply to

• Jez
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-13-2007
    • Posts 150
    • Bronze Member

Check the output of the STB's software is set to 16:9, some boxes call it letterbox format.
  • 09-17-2007 2:26 PM In reply to

Hi David

The best way to do it, is with an S/VHS cable and the scart adapter. I think the 16/9 issue is gone with that

You will get the best pic with S/VHS. 

• 09-17-2007 2:45 PM In reply to

Forgetting about digital connections such as HDMI and DVI, basically there are a number of ways to connect a STB to a TV via scart. Composite, s-video, RGB and for a few TVs: Component. Most likely does you BV3 only accept the first 3. You will not be happy with the picture quality of composite or s-video. The converter you tried did composite or s-video, depending on the which connections you used.

This leaves you with two potential solutions: Some STBs will be able to send out RGB via the component outputs (the Red, Green Blue RCA outputs) This would most likely be a menu option somewhere on the STB if available. Next challange will be to get a cable with Component in and Scart out, as most cables are the other way around to support STB with Scart for a Plasma without.

Other option is to get a component to RGB converter. Have not tried any of them, but it could easily set you back USD100.

• 09-17-2007 5:30 PM In reply to

Dear All:

Would someone please explain SCART ? Purpose?  Benefits?  

thks

dario 

When I hear music, I fear no danger. I see no foe... Thoreau
  • 09-17-2007 6:08 PM In reply to

• Jez
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-13-2007
    • Posts 150
    • Bronze Member

It can send picture (R,G,B) as well as sound and also send control function. For example, when you connect a DVD, HDR and so on it will control it via cable so the box can be hidden away and not have to be in view. It can also send all that info both ways, however you have to make sure that it's been wired like that because some are only wired one way. It's a Europian standard.

• 09-17-2007 6:14 PM In reply to

• PL212
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - Seattle
    • Posts 318
    • Bronze Member

...and you'll also find it on the North American MX5000/MX5500 and VX5000. But nearly nowhere else! Think of it as a eurotrash HDMI from the 1980s... :)
  • 09-17-2007 10:40 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

For some reason our TV will not stop reverting back to Format 1 (4:3) So upsetting, it looks like we'll have to return this box and get one that has scart (:()

I believe only scart will solve the format issue. when i connected the dvd player with s video it stopped automatically adjusting accordingly. The set top box has NO SETTINGS!!!! It has one setting which is widescreen, and 4:3. Useless piece of s. It has no settings regarding RGB or any of that but today i will get a scart to componet cable and try that.

• 09-18-2007 2:49 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

darioazul:

Dear All:

Would someone please explain SCART ? Purpose?  Benefits?  

thks

dario 

SCART

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 09-18-2007 3:44 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Crisis averted. We returned the box, we'll find one that has scart, i'd like to get one that B&O use in store.

We went in today (unfortunatly our friendly dealer wasn't in) but to my horror, found out that they charge $67 for an IR blaster. Is that normal? I just bought one for 5 dollars.

• 09-18-2007 12:52 PM In reply to

Is a IR blaster the same as a IR extender? A small sticky thing with a wire you place on a device ?

If that is so, a single IR extender is 5 dollar a normal price, you get triplle IR extenders for about 19 euro everywhere :-)

Search for IR extender and see for yourself.

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)