in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-11-2007 5:11 PM by The Stig - ver. 1.7. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-16-2007 1:34 PM

Confused [*-)] Masterlink cable length problem

Hi all,

I've got a problem with my ML installation, that I can't get rid of. I read the ML handbook forth and back but haven't found anything helpfull...
    The only limitation is 400m in total.

The system is working, but the BV7 reports failure "CI" (configuration impossible) and therefore sometimes the IR commands hang a second. The problem startet as I rearanged my setup and therefore added addition 18m cable to connect the BV1L in another room.

My system consists of three junction boxes (orange boxes), all cable length are mentioned in the attached file. If I disconnect either the BV1L or the AV5, the problem is gone.

Do you have any suggestions how to solve the issue?

Many thanks,
    Marcus

• 09-17-2007 2:44 PM In reply to

Re: Masterlink cable length problem

Sounds like an options setting thats wrong. link TV's has to be option 5 or 6  up to 15 TV's or 21 + 11 With wireless Smile

Master TV option 1 or 2 "Only 1" in this option..

• 09-17-2007 3:21 PM In reply to

I checked the option setting several times, it's ok (as written in the diagram).

Does anyone know of any restrictions concerning network topologie? Is it allowed to do some kind of star plus bus wiring?
  • 09-17-2007 6:00 PM In reply to

OK just noticed I cut zoom in on the diagram Smile

First thing to do is turn off power to your house so every thing gets reset, and gets new new address on master link. or press st.by 3+ sec.

Or

I personal think it's a fault with your junction box check ground wires, or better get a master link tester to test the connection.

• 09-17-2007 11:26 PM In reply to

• SWISS_2
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Neuchatel, Suisse
    • Posts 552
    • Gold Member

• 09-17-2007 11:26 PM In reply to

• SWISS_2
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Neuchatel, Suisse
    • Posts 552
    • Gold Member

Stig,
  • 09-17-2007 11:36 PM In reply to

• SWISS_2
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Neuchatel, Suisse
    • Posts 552
    • Gold Member

Sorry: A bit of Thunder in the storm tonight..

Like Stig,  I too think the problem is in the junction boxes. I did my own junctions also, and it was a learning exercise in avoiding ground shorts with the small wires, which happened many times early on.

If the wires are too long, the can connect with other wires.

If the wires are not pressed down well, they can lift out and ground.

I hesitate to say this from personal experience, but I would suggest you open each junction box and examine it inside very closely with a magnifying lense or Cartography lense. It is tedious by you may find one of the small wires out or grounding.

• 09-18-2007 2:59 AM In reply to

Many thanks for your suggestions. A service guy was here with the ML tester and there was no cabling failure visible.

Do you think it is necessary to examine all the boxes as the test has had a good result?

I also did desconnect the complete system from power and then repowerd in this order: BV7, BS9000 (then reprogrammed all options), then Beoport, BL2000, AV5 and finally BV1L. The second time I changed order of AV5 and BV1L. Result has been the same: with the last device the BV7 indicates CI failure. The system then works normal but after some time (e.g. the next day) the BS9000 hangs :-(

The service guy had no idea if there are some restrictions in network topology. Have you got any experience with disturbance? Does a DECT base influence the signalling? Or does WLAN? Or a normal LAN cable that is run in parallel even if both are shielded?

I have no idea how to solve the problem?!? There might be the possibility to shorten the cabling of the BV7 and the BS9000, but as this means enormous effort, I would be glad to get a feeling if this could improve the situation.....

Thanks, Marcus 

• 09-18-2007 3:42 PM In reply to

I had this problem also after making my own junctions! I was advised by an installer that you have to use the correct B&O boxes,as there are internal links which if not present,can affect the configuration.They are horrid fiddly little boxes,but it did overcome the problem.

I imagine if you new which wires had to be linked,you could hardwire it,to get the same result.Any idea's anyone?

• 09-18-2007 5:19 PM In reply to

• Gerd
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 523
    • Bronze Member

solderon29:
    I imagine if you new which wires had to be linked ...

Pink and White/Blue Wink 

• 09-19-2007 1:28 AM In reply to

Gerd:

solderon29:
    I imagine if you new which wires had to be linked ...

Pink and White/Blue Wink 

Have done this! 

• 09-19-2007 1:59 AM In reply to

• SWISS_2
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Neuchatel, Suisse
    • Posts 552
    • Gold Member

1. Beocom DECT is next to my system for aome years with no effect.

2. WLAN - Linksys G56 also within 1 M of system, also no effect.

Good to hear that you had a technician out to examine the problem. Perhaps by process of elimination the issue returns again to connections and possible groundings inside the junction boxes.

I would open each box up carefully and really examine each wire. Some of my early attempts of stripping each wire resulted in a few even breaking off, which I found later.

• 09-19-2007 2:24 AM In reply to

Hi Swiss,

I've examined the connections yesterday evening once again, but found nothing - even the ML tester says everything is ok :-(

How long are the cables you have? Do you have a perfect bus structure or some kind of "wild" architecture like mine?

Marcus 

• 09-19-2007 4:41 PM In reply to

OK next step:

ML cable is OK

ML connectors did you put them on, or where they pre made or did you dealer make them? If the belt cable Pin 4 to 11 is to long it can hit the shield an be grounded and give this fault( ML tester can't test for this)..

• 09-19-2007 4:56 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Stig. Is there anything you don't know????

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 09-19-2007 5:26 PM In reply to

I don't know !! So that makes it yes I don't know what I don't know Wink

Yes there is something! right now I'm working on, haw to get a BV7 to see if a sagem 81HD SAT is on or off... Because when you set the sagem to HDMI it disables the Scart connection... Hmm

• 09-19-2007 6:03 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

I'm sure you'll work it outBig Smile

Poor me, never win owt!

• 10-10-2007 4:19 PM In reply to

The Stig - ver. 1.4:

OK next step:

ML cable is OK

ML connectors did you put them on, or where they pre made or did you dealer make them? If the belt cable Pin 4 to 11 is to long it can hit the shield an be grounded and give this fault( ML tester can't test for this)..

Hi Stig,

you had a good point here..... two of my cables have been made by a local service guy, and yes, they had a short to ground.
    As these had about the same lenght I alsways used these for cross check *grrrr    hwo thinks that two cables have the same defect...

Thanks again, all sorted now :-)

Marcus
  • 10-10-2007 5:34 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Glad it's all sorted Marcus.