in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-15-2007 4:21 AM by Dave. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-13-2007 1:15 PM

• BeoIce
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Recklinghausen, Germany
    • Posts 281
    • Founder

Samsung SGH-U 700 mobile phone with ICEpower© amplifier ?

Hi all,

as I will get a new mobile phone through my provider o2 in the next days I took a look at the Samsung SGH-U 700.

Samsung SGH-U 700

On my providers website it states:

"Der Music-Player kann alle gängigen Musikformate abspielen, mit dem Windows Media® Player synchronisiert werden, die Musikbibliothek nach Künstler, Album und Song sortieren und dank ICEpower® Verstärker von Bang&Olufsen in ausgezeichnete Klangqualität über den integrierten Lautsprecher oder über Bluetooth®-Stereo-Headsets ausgeben."

To translate it in short it means that the mobile phone has a built in B&O ICEpower© amplifier for excellent audio quality in conjunction with the integrated speaker.

I took a look at the manual too, but coudn't find any info about if this is true. Even Samsung itself doesn't provide any infos about that.

Can anyone provide more infos or does someone perhaps have this phone ?

Regards

Martin

P.S.: Of course I would buy a Serene or Serenata mobile phone but to be honest both are too expensive for me at the moment and I don't take much care with my mobile phone being in my trousers pockets with some keys and coins.

BeoSound 9000 MK III, BeoLab 6000, BeoLab 11, BeoCenter 2300, BeoSound Century, BeoVision MX4000/MX7000 & BeoCom 4

Samsung UE40B7090, Samsung HT-WS1G, Technisat HD8-S, Sony PS3, Logitech PS3 IR-BT-Adapter & Lintronic TT455-RT-238

• 09-13-2007 6:05 PM In reply to

Re: Samsung SGH-U 700 mobile phone with ICEpower© amplifier ?

Hi

yes it's true that there is B&O ICE power in samsung phones, but it's not for the speaker! ICE power use more power then a normal amplifier when used for low power amplifying, instead it's used in the transmitter where the power is up to 2 watt.

• 09-13-2007 6:36 PM In reply to

Oh, well thats a little dissapointing. i just assumed it was for the speaker.

I was going to get one of these but now i'm not going to worry. I'll wait for serenata.

jazz

• 09-13-2007 11:42 PM In reply to

I also thought the ICE amplifier was for the built-in speaker, a friend of mine has the F300 which is also ICE powered, and the sound from the MP3 player section was horrible compared to my Nokia 6300! I wonder if B&O thought how negative this could be on the ICE power reputation, because most people will believe that ICE power in a phone means great sound, which is far from being the case. Now I do hope the (2) speakers in Serenata do provide some serious sound performance, although it won't be enough for me to buy it.

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 09-14-2007 5:01 AM In reply to

• BeoIce
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Recklinghausen, Germany
    • Posts 281
    • Founder

Today I phoned Samsung technical stuff here in germany and they said that there really is a B&O ICEpower© amplifier in the SGH-U 700 and it is driving the speaker in the phone, not the transmitter.

Whom should I trust now ? Unsure

Don't know why Samsung didn't mention this info on their website, because it might be of others interest when looking at this phone.

Martin

BeoSound 9000 MK III, BeoLab 6000, BeoLab 11, BeoCenter 2300, BeoSound Century, BeoVision MX4000/MX7000 & BeoCom 4

Samsung UE40B7090, Samsung HT-WS1G, Technisat HD8-S, Sony PS3, Logitech PS3 IR-BT-Adapter & Lintronic TT455-RT-238

• 09-15-2007 2:36 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

I've read on many internet sources regarding the latest Samsung mobile phones that the sole benefit of using the ICE technology, in the music player of the phone, is to conserve the battery (up to 90% less power consumption).

Samsung quotes this 

It is also mentioned in this CNET review 

and this review. 

As you can tell from all the links, i'm a little bored at the moment. Wink 

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 09-15-2007 3:28 AM In reply to

I cannot really recommend this phone. I have bought one for my wife two weeks ago and she hates it, well, kind of at least. She also has the Nokia 8800 which she loves but it is basically a useless phone because of extremely short battery life.

The trouble with the Samsung U700 is as follows:

• very slow menu functionality
    • there is no apostroph symbol in SMS
    • there are illuminated soft touch buttons that are too sensitive and too small for a human hand. You always accidentally hit one of those buttons which is a major pain in the a..

Just my humble opinion.

• 09-15-2007 4:08 AM In reply to

• Fulgore
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 63
    • Founder

HI,

I agree with schatzoy's opinion, I bought it for my mother (contract prolongation o2), 
    and the design is not too bad, but the user interface is horrible (try to send an SMS or the touch buttons).

Fulgore
  • 09-15-2007 4:21 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Yes, well this phone does not interest me at all. It is relatively expensive I dislike the way samsung mobiles operate, too complicated!!

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)