in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-28-2007 7:46 AM by espenf. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-13-2007 9:13 AM

• GSHaigh
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • North West UK
    • Posts 163
    • Bronze Member

Poll - Apple TV STB Codes

Hi

I'm interested to understand how many people here would find the addition of Apple TV STB / PUC codes to a BV7 or other current B&O products useful.  I for one would,  but B&O technical currently tell me that there is no interest in this product in the UK.  A statement which I find hard to believe.

I also believe that the UK BS3 can support Apple TV.

Wether or not you currently have a B&O TV or Apple TV,  your opinion will be valid.

Thanks

Greg

Do you think that it would be useful for the Codes for the Apple TV device to be included in the PUC list?

• Yes (92.8%)
    • No (0%)
    • Don't understand/Don't care. (7.2%)
    • Total Votes: 69
  • 09-13-2007 1:53 PM In reply to

• grieg007
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 05-19-2007
    • Bergen, Norway
    • Posts 54
    • Gold Member

Re: Poll - Apple TV STB Codes

Hi,

This is my first post here on BeoWorld after a year or so of following various threads. I just bought a BV7-32 which my dealer updated to be able to control my AppleTV. This via the DTV button. So things do work very well, but no fast scrolling is possible, but worse is that you cant fast-forward tracks you are listening to. Only skip to the next track. A real problem for me when listening to classical music to find a certain passage in the middle of a 30min symphonic movement.

Does anybody know any tricks to solve this? Would be appreciated.

Christian
  • 09-13-2007 2:40 PM In reply to

• GSHaigh
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • North West UK
    • Posts 163
    • Bronze Member

That's interesting,  I have been told there are no STB codes on the BV7 for Apple TV.

Can I ask were are you,  and which dealer performed the upgrade for you?

I can't help with your fast scroll issue but I believe this has been fixed on the BeoSystem 3???

Greg

• 09-13-2007 3:23 PM In reply to

• grieg007
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 05-19-2007
    • Bergen, Norway
    • Posts 54
    • Gold Member

My dealer (Oslo, Norway) called B&O Denmark when I stated they had Apple Remote codes on the Beosystem 3. Then they said they could upgrade the BS2(or is it 1?) in the new BV7 to control it. And so it does. So very happy about that, except the scrolling and fast-forward. Anybody with a BS3 and AppleTV got fixes for those issues?

Christian
  • 09-13-2007 6:44 PM In reply to

I thought the BV 7 in the US controlled Apple TV. That's what my dealer said.

As far as fast scrolling is concerned this IS a problem. However, after looking into this for some time, I believe it has to do mostly with the manner in which Apple has implemented this feature. It is a limiting factor, and frankly very annoying. On the other hand, if you want a remote with the fewest buttons, and truly fast scroll, Apple has done a very good job.

Nevertheless, Apple must recognize that their remote is presenting challenges to those wanting to fully integrate Apple TV into one remote where code conversion is involved.

It's possible that Apple or someone could address this through software, but it will be a long time.

• 09-14-2007 4:29 AM In reply to

beo-ap:

Nevertheless, Apple must recognize that their remote is presenting challenges to those wanting to fully integrate Apple TV into one remote where code conversion is involved.
    It's possible that Apple or someone could address this through software, but it will be a long time.

I did analyse the Apple Remote signal with the Lintronic box and software.

Each button of the remote sends a code that corresponds to the key, then sends another code repeatedly when the key is pressed for a long period of time.

The repeat code, is the same for any key.

I also analysed the Beo4, and it works nearly the same, if you press some buttons, like Up or Down, the remote sends a first code, and if you maintain the finger on the key, it then sends a repeat code. I think the difference is that the repeat codes are different depending of the key you originally pressed.

So it would be easy to map the initial code of the beo4 to the correspnding initial code of the Apple Remote, and the Repeat codes of the Beo4 to the single Repeat code of the Apple Remote.

I am just guessing that when analysing the codes of the Apple Remote, the BO engineers have not tryed to press the button for a long period of time. Same for the Lintronic guys.

p.

• 09-14-2007 4:46 AM In reply to

• Roger
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 870
    • Founder

Your dealer can upload the file from the service tool - the apple-tv file contains the necessary STB-C/PUC codes to control it.

Roger

• 09-14-2007 7:05 AM In reply to

• GSHaigh
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • North West UK
    • Posts 163
    • Bronze Member

Roger:

Your dealer can upload the file from the service tool - the apple-tv file contains the necessary STB-C/PUC codes to control it.

Roger

• 09-14-2007 7:06 AM In reply to

• GSHaigh
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • North West UK
    • Posts 163
    • Bronze Member

Roger:

Roger

I was under the impression the the STB / PUC codes were embeded on a chip and it was the case of B&O releasing a new STB / PUC chip?

Is this assumption wrong?

Greg

• 09-14-2007 8:31 AM In reply to

I just asked a dealer, who asked the technical service, and they confirmed.

So i'll have it done!

• 09-14-2007 8:36 AM In reply to

• Roger
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 870
    • Founder

The chip (IC) thing is correct for the older tv's (Avant, BV3, BV5 etc) - the newer ones only require a laptop and access to the ML socket.

Roger

• 09-14-2007 9:57 AM In reply to

• Munin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 99
    • Bronze Member

What do you think?? Will there be a workaround for the long-hold-down-problem?

I remember this have been discussed several time in this (and the old) formum.

How hard can it be??

/Munin

• 10-10-2007 10:21 AM In reply to

• espenf
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-10-2007
    • Posts 3
    • Bronze Member

I have requested this feature update with B&O in Denmark, and gotten confirmation that it has been added to their request tracking system.  No date, if ever, has been promised though.

I have integrated my Apple TV into Beolink and can now control the Apple TV with Beo 4 at any B&O TV (and stereo) all over the house.  The picture quality is perfect on the Beovision 7 directly connected to the TV, but is of course somewhat lower on the other devices that access over the link system (the link system has to be fed a composite video signal).  But the lack of "fast scrolling" make navigation a bit too cumbersome, especially when playing music.

• 11-01-2007 8:43 AM In reply to

Could I be cheeky and ask what the STB C setting is on your television? Is it Apple Appleremote by any chance? or possibly iPod remote? Cannot seem to get mine to work. Also I have BeoLink and can get audio on my BS3200 ok but not on the link room televisions, btw I have it connected(apple tv) via component, is the apple tv set to PC on your television?

Sorry for all the questions but I am starting to get frustrated with it all.

• 11-01-2007 12:24 PM In reply to

• beotex
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • USA
    • Posts 32
    • Bronze Member

Does anyone know if there has been an update to Beosystem 1 to allow control of Apple TV? I aked B&O US a few months ago and they said "not yet", but I fear they have stopped adding devices to the code list since BS3 came out.
  • 11-05-2007 6:52 PM In reply to

• espenf
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-10-2007
    • Posts 3
    • Bronze Member

The STB setting is Appleremote (the Ipod remote is something different, I think it is codes for controlling your Ipod with the Beo4 if the  Ipod is connected with cable to stereo).  Then to get it working in link system without degrading main signal, you probably need a splitter so that the Apple TV does not see multiple outputs with different resolutions.  For the image I am using a HDMI-DVI cable from the Apple TV  (so that the Apple TV only see a HD screen with DVI input) feeding into a Gefen DVI splitter.  One of the outputs of the DVI splitter goes into the Beovision 7, the other output from the DVI splitter goes into a DVI-VGA converter and that signal is again fed into a VGA-Composite converter and then fed into the Beolink composite video input.  Audio for all is going with the analog audio cables from Apple TV to audio input on the main TV.   The Apple TV is set as V.AUX on the TV.  Works perfectly, and I can now access Apple TV by choosing V.AUX from List on the Beo 4 on all 3 TVs in my house (but with a somewhat degraded picture on the link TVs due to the conversion of signal to composite).
  • 11-05-2007 7:22 PM In reply to

Dear Espenf:

Would your solution work for US based Apple TV?  

If I understand your set up, you can access your Apple TV 'stuff' on your BV 7 and control it via Beo4?  Is that correct?

Thank you,

Dario
    When I hear music, I fear no danger. I see no foe... Thoreau
  • 11-05-2007 9:56 PM In reply to

wtlc2zpx:
    beo-ap:

I did analyse the Apple Remote signal with the Lintronic box and software.

Each button of the remote sends a code that corresponds to the key, then sends another code repeatedly when the key is pressed for a long period of time.

The repeat code, is the same for any key.

I also analysed the Beo4, and it works nearly the same, if you press some buttons, like Up or Down, the remote sends a first code, and if you maintain the finger on the key, it then sends a repeat code. I think the difference is that the repeat codes are different depending of the key you originally pressed.

So it would be easy to map the initial code of the beo4 to the correspnding initial code of the Apple Remote, and the Repeat codes of the Beo4 to the single Repeat code of the Apple Remote.

I am just guessing that when analysing the codes of the Apple Remote, the BO engineers have not tryed to press the button for a long period of time. Same for the Lintronic guys.

p.

I still think it's the implementation of the long code on the Apple side that makes things difficult. I too have a lintronic that accurately reproduces the long code. However, the very nature of a converter involves receive - convert - send, thus there is no continuous "long" code sent. This is inspite of the fact that a converter like Lintronic allows you to program an auto repeat of the code. It is still a repeat as opposed to a continuous stream as it were.

I do believe that this limitation can be overcome in one of three ways:

1. When Apple offers an SDK for the AppleTV (hopefully) an enterprising programmer will be able to add additional IR codes via software that will enhance the box in such a way that we can more easily replicate the fast scroll.

2. B&O or Lintronic, can program a special "hold" for the fast scroll code that will for example scroll two or three screens quickly.

3. Finally, and least likely is that through some future SDK, an enterprising programmer will be able to write some AppleTV plugin that will allow us to use a BeoPort + AppleTV combination in the same manner that a third party has developed Beoport + Mac integration

Let's hope we get one of these some day as the B&O + AppleTV are a great match.

• 11-28-2007 7:46 AM In reply to

• espenf
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-10-2007
    • Posts 3
    • Bronze Member

Dario

Yes, I can access the Apple TVs stuff from all my 3 B&O TVs using the Beo4 control as with DVD, TV etc.

Yes, I see no reason why there should be any difference between US and European Apple TVs, as the output from Apple is pure digital.  Also, if you integrate in linksystem, the VGA to Composite converters normally let you choose between NTSC or PAL output (this output is the input to the link system). 

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)