in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-10-2007 12:11 PM by Daniel Seiler. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (23 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-08-2007 2:39 PM In reply to

Re: quality of bs4

Actually the quality of the BS4 really surprised me. As this is a replacement for the BS3000, which was initially a pretty low ranking product in the B&O range, and which was made from some rather cheap plastics, the BS4 has by contrast a lovely soft touch feel and good glass screen. Have you used one? The quality is obvious to the touch. There are some reports of problems with marks on the metal foot though I have not seen this myself.

I note you seem quite critical of the B&O range. Are you an owner or are you just investigating the brand? 

• 09-08-2007 2:48 PM In reply to

I also have a BS4, and it's quality is superb! The glass door really looks and feels fantastic, a lot of things like the stand, volumewheel and clickwheel are of aluminium. The plastic parts like the back and the buttons are really high quality and give a good feedback when you touch them. I don't see any reason to call BS4 a low quality product.
  • 09-08-2007 2:49 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

peacha:

i read quality of bs4 is not good anymore is this true they use plastics and nat metcal anymore so theys dont have qualty now.

its lots of money for plastics when denon are made of metcal nowadays 

Which article did you read stating the BS4 quality is not good as it is not made of metcal ?   I'd be interested to read it. Smile

I think criticism is good for any brand, even B&O - so a little more meaning and direction behind yours would be helpful to everyone, even B&O !

Lee
    Big Smile

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 09-08-2007 3:17 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I agree with the others. The build quality of the BeoSound 4 is remarkably good! In fact, I'd go as far as saying it's the best built all-in-one B&O have made alongside the BeoSound 9000. Same finish as the BeoLab 3s, pretty flawless!

Weekly top artists:                   

• 09-08-2007 3:47 PM In reply to

• Jez
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-13-2007
    • Posts 150
    • Bronze Member

I have a BeoSound 4 running with my BeoLab 5's and although the performance is a little miss matched it still beats any other unit in it's price range. As an all rounder it has quite alot in functionality and connections. Remember that it's designed as an entry level product, hence the use of more plastics. However this does nothing to it's perfomance, it's the lack of a digital output, which is why i'll upgrade to BeoSound 9000 but not until I see what BeoSound 5 ( rumored to be a new top of the line audio master) is!. The built quality would have no impact on me upgrading what so ever. You should also note that the use of plastic allows certain shapes to be designed and made rather than a simple square/ rectangle box like most brands. Plastics used are also high quality snap frozen plastics which are very robust. End of the day it's simply a look and feel difference and not performance related when it come to use of plastics.
  • 09-08-2007 9:30 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

I'm sorely disappointed with our BS4. It has too many flaws to forgive at this price range. The closer i look, the more imperfection i find. To enjoy this product i am standing well away and using the Beo4, so that i can't hear it's grinding door, and so that at night i can't see the horizontal line of phantom pixels that appear across the display when it's in standby. I wish that we were as lucky as everyone else, and we wish we could be as impressed.

But, of course the design, amount of features and functionality is absolutely wonderful. Thankfully.

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 09-08-2007 9:48 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

peacha:
    so its crap then i finkd it and yus dont says it till now

Pardon?? 

• 09-09-2007 1:38 AM In reply to

@ David: Actually i do not have this problems with my BS4, sounds like yours has defects. The display of mine is really good, and when it is switched off, there are no pixels around. The doot itself closes very very silently, of course i can hear something when i am near, but thats so silent that it does not bother at all. I think you should probabely inform your dealer about this and let him have a look at your BS4, or if it is a dealer problem, try to inform B&O directly about this.

@peacha: I think you are in the wrong forum, indeed. 

• 09-09-2007 2:15 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Yes it is obviously unlike other units. 

I did send it in to be checked out, and there was nothing wrong with it according to the service technician. He has simply made an error and unfortunately not considered it to be at all faulty. Yes it works just fine, but there should not be these odd flaws in such an expensive boutique product. The loan BS4 we had whilst it was in the shop did not have shadows in the display and did not grind (the grinding is quiet but certainly audible to us when within operating distance).

We have an excellent dealer who has so far gone out of his way to help us out. I am thinking that the dealership is not allowed to order a replacement... but it will be sorted out eventually i'm sure!

• 09-09-2007 3:40 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Keep pushing, you should have a perfect unit, this isn't Sony! Wink

Weekly top artists:                   

• 09-09-2007 3:52 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

I know, it really should be at least acceptable. It's difficult though. I don't want to be problematic to our dealer, and to the average joe, my protests may seem fickle and unreasonable.

We will not settle on a product we are not happy with however.

• 09-09-2007 8:55 AM In reply to

• symmes
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Freedonia
    • Posts 290
    • Bronze Member

My thought on quality from a consumer AND dealer perspective:  The product on the showroom floor should represent the minimum standard the customer can expect.  If there is an immediate gap between what you have and what you expected/witnessed from the demonstration unit, the dealer should resolve it, not a service center, and certainly not you.  If the problem happens during warranty, your dealer should arrange it to be resolved.  Bang & Olufsen might not be denon, but the expectations should be high, anyway ;)  Ray
  • 09-09-2007 3:49 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

David:

I know, it really should be at least acceptable. It's difficult though. I don't want to be problematic to our dealer, and to the average joe, my protests may seem fickle and unreasonable.

We will not settle on a product we are not happy with however.

I see where you're coming from, and I feel the same with a lot of things, but B&O is renown for providing flawless build quality, so you should accept nothing less, I certainly wouldn't!

Weekly top artists:                   

• 09-09-2007 4:09 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

At the prices charged, you would be a complete idiot to accept anything less!

Sorry if that seems a bit severe, but it's true.  If you charge a premium price, you absolutely must deliver a premium product and premium service. Fact.

Lee
    Smile

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 09-09-2007 7:33 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

I was kindly offered the option to take the instore demo unit at a reduced price which would be practical, but that unit was different again.

Not sure if anyone has heard of this fault happening, but it did not respond every single time to remote commands. I had to press the button twice most of the time - as though the remote batteries were dead, and it would be pretty irritating to live with.

See how blooming picky i am?? Sad I'm either too fussy or unlucky...

• 09-10-2007 12:09 AM In reply to

My BC2 often does not respond to the first command of the Beo4. I often have to repress the command. It is really annoying as I have other 'cheap' equipment that this does not happen to!

Patrick

• 09-10-2007 12:36 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

I spoke with our dealer this morning and he has actually ordered us a new unit, so we'll try again!

Surely this one will be faultless!! Watch this space as i will report the good news on the forum in a month. Smile

• 09-10-2007 1:25 AM In reply to

Great to hear David, i really hope you get the new unit soon, and that this one will work as it should and has no faults at all!
  • 09-10-2007 5:28 AM In reply to

I had my for 2 years now and its perfect, but I have an annoying problem, the base aluminum part is getting dull and its not shinning anymore...........does anyone have this on your BS4?  How do you get it to shine back without scratching or damaging it?

Thanks

D

• 09-10-2007 10:29 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Don't hold me to it, but i have used window cleaner on stubborn marks and it has worked very well, but i'm not 100% that it is ok to use. So far so good. First try a damp cloth or a microfibre cloth (such as enjo).

Can anyone clarify that it is ok to use window cleaner on the foot of BS4? 

• 09-10-2007 12:09 PM In reply to

I see no problem in using window cleaner I use it all the time and nothing has happen jet Smile.

"BUT" DON'T USE IT ON CONTRAST SCREENS WITH ANTI-REFLEX... makes it very hard to clean it afterward. and in time destroys the anti-reflex paint.

• 09-10-2007 12:11 PM In reply to

It's also what i use. Window cleaner and a normal cotton cloth. Works well so far. Okay, i have my BS4 for some 8 months only, and i don't clean it every week 
    But it does not seem that the window cleaner harms the foot. It looks great and shiny
Page 1 of 1 (23 items)