in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-15-2007 7:39 AM by Die_Bogener. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-06-2007 4:52 PM

BM 7000 - sudden decay in IR reception

Hello,

All of a sudden the IR reception on my BM 7000, one way and two way, has diminished.  All the functions still work, but I have to aim close to the BM, especially for two way reception.

I'm not aware of any new device in the house that could cause interference.  The battery is still ok.

Could one of the IR-diodes have perished?

Kind regards
    Joost Declercq
    Gent (B)
  • 09-06-2007 6:47 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Re: BM 7000 - sudden decay in IR reception

Hi Joost. I am not a techie but it would seem to me that if the problem is both ways, then it couldn't be a failure of an IR.
    You say the batteries are ok but could you be mistaken. I would definately try it with some brand new batteries from a sealed packet.
    Also, when far away from the Beomaster, do you get the message "No Contact"?
    By the way, which remote, 7000 or 5000?

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 09-07-2007 7:09 AM In reply to

Check this with a BL1000, a MCP5500/6500 and a BL7000.

If it works with the BL1000 and MCP, probably the BL7000 is defect. More or less, all of the BL7000 will get a problem... capacitors defect.

The BM7000 cpu board has some problems after some years, the 2032 lithium battery can be defect, also the 80c32 cpu can get damaged easily in a link system. Also an other part of the system can lock the data lines of the system, check the master disconnected from all other parts.

Martin

• 09-08-2007 6:39 AM In reply to

Hello,

thanks Andie and Martin for the input.

Well, the issue is the same with the BL 7000 and 2 BL 1000.  That's why I suspect the BM. 

The BL 7000 gives a 'no contact', even when it's in the chargestand, while before the BL 7000 displayed all the 2 way information, when it was at the same place.  So, that's why I don't suspect the batteries.

All functions, one way and two way still work, but I have to come close (+- 1m) and aim really straight to the BM, while before the one way and two way functioned over more than 5m in almost all positions (even when aiming away from the BM)....  So, I think the CPU is ok, but there's something wrong with the IR transmitter/receiver in the BM...

Or, is my logic not so logical?

Kind regards,

Joost 

• 09-08-2007 6:41 AM In reply to

PS Martin, what's the issue with a BM in a link system?  Are there risks of damaging the BM?

Joost

• 09-08-2007 6:48 AM In reply to

Joost,

you are right, the problem is the BM7000. You have tested the BM alone, no other hardware connected?

The 80c32 cpu chip can fail, also some of the blue Philips capacitors on the cpu board and display board (!!!). Check this first.

If you have a second one, even a BM 5500/6500, the display board is compatible for testing. The cpu boards are also compatible, but the two black connectors are exchanged and look quite the same... watchout or there will be a very bad short circuit ;) 

Edit: the link system has direct connections to the 80c32 cpu chip. Overvoltage can easily damage the link system and the master. There are some diodes for protection... and usually they work pretty good, but they can also fail. I would test a bm always seperated from all other hardware, because the datalines are more or less all connected. If just one device fails, all of them show strange effects... 

Martin

• 09-14-2007 5:22 PM In reply to

Hello,

I've tested the BM without other components, but the problems were the same.

I've exchanged the Philips capacitors on the display board and that fixed the thing for the one way communication (Beolink 1000).  But for the two-way communication (Beolink 7000) the symptoms stay almost the same.

Is it possible that the Philips capacitors on the cpu board are responsible for the 2-way communication?

Kind regards
    Joost
  • 09-15-2007 7:39 AM In reply to

The philips or the golden Roederstein (ROE) are responsible for sending and receiving the data on the display board.  The golden ones are the worst ones...the blue philips are better, but also 20 years old now.

On the cpu board are only two electrolythic capacitors, only for power supply, replace them, too. Also check the Lithium cell 2032, at least 3V are necessary.

Watch out for the 80c32 cpu, they arent produced any more and it's really hard to find them. Most shops sell the ATMEL 80c32x2 CPU, this type does not work in a BM6500/7000 (!!!). It looks like working ok, but produces timing errors with the ir commands... slow reaction, missing commands and so on. The  x2 chip can run twice the speed of a standard chip, but in this application it runs only 50% speed.

But: replace the 80c32 chip if you can. The INT line of the serial communication often fails... overvoltage.

I have found also cracks in the ceramic capacitors near the connectors, also in the ir section of the cpu. Very often there is also a crack in the board itself, right beneath the steal shield around the cpu caused by too much force when disassembling the left ir connector. 

Martin

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)