in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-25-2007 5:11 PM by Goldfrog88. 32 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (33 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-05-2007 4:51 PM

iPod Touch

Well, another product I'm just going to have to get ... The iPod Touch gives you touchscreen control of content, without phone functionality. Interacts with the Mac, and controls all kinds of playback. Nice!

• 09-05-2007 5:23 PM In reply to

• JoC
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-20-2007
    • Northern Ireland
    • Posts 121
    • Bronze Member

Re: iPod Touch

I was all set to buy this, BUT at only 16gb - I think I'll pass, stick a 80gb+ HD in it then it may be useful to play videos and hold a decent music collection.

I don't know what to do now, as my current iPod is on it's last legs, the new classic is just boring, the new nano is just plain ugly - I guess I will have to suffer on with my current iPod.

Me thinks Apple really dropped the ball on these new releases.

JoC

• 09-05-2007 6:35 PM In reply to

I was hugely impressed and I'm definitely getting one. 16gb is not ideal but 32gb is just not realistic at the moment (using flash that is). No doubt I'll upgrade in less than 12 months but (1) it's only £230 which will just about get you half of a beo5 remote (when it comes out in 2008) and (2) my nephews and nieces are happy to accept second-apple stuff so it won't go to waste. 

Apple still rules. B&O should embrace iTunes and I'd be happy to drop more money with the Danes.

• 09-05-2007 11:54 PM In reply to

It's probably the standard Apple fishing trip: first get the ones who must have it, right away. Then send out a version that has richer spec's - which is what they did with Apple TV.

But yes, I'm quite impressed. And moving music to and off through playlists is a cinch, which means the 16GB won't be a bother for me. Looking forward to trying one out. 

Am also suspecting that it won't be long before Apple releases a tablet with touch-screen functionality. They've applied for the patent about two years ago, and it appears the iPhone and iPod Touch are warm-up exercises ... 

• 09-06-2007 2:43 AM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

I was really hoping to be able to play wirelessly, iPod Touch to Apple Airport Express to BS4. Using the Touch to select tracks instead of iTunes/FrontRow would have been amazing.
  • 09-06-2007 8:14 AM In reply to

JoC:

Me thinks Apple really dropped the ball on these new releases.

JoC

You think Apple dropped the ball, wait until you see Beosound 6??

• 09-06-2007 10:02 AM In reply to

This Ipod-Touch seems nice to look at.

I will see this in the flesh and see if I am found of that one.

The latest releases from Apple are very interesting. The new iMac is IMHO beautiful to look at, and will be the reason why I will switch in a close future. iPhone is kind of pretty too and will need my attention once it's launched in the market.

Cheers,

Guy 

--= "Everything gets done with Patience" =-- --= "Less is More" - Mies Van der Rohe"

--= BV10 46", BL8K, BL4K, BL2, BS Ouverture, BC6000 (Mk3), BT1100, Beo4 , A8 and ...the Atomic Floyd "Airjax+Mic" earphones =--

• 09-06-2007 11:47 AM In reply to

On dropping the ball. Well, I think that Apple are looking at their iPod sales, and seeing that the Nano and Shuffle are covering peoples' requirements perfectly, seeing as they represent 75% of sales ...

Sure, I'd like a larger storage capacity, but not if it means foregoing some of the functionality I'm looking for. Have you seen what the iRed people have planned for the iPhone (and now probably the iPod Touch, as well?) They will be able to control a number of B&O and non-B&O devices, as well as the Mac. Those are virtual SONY remotes in the top image.

• 09-06-2007 6:54 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

I'm sure that those that need the latest and greatest can justify the iTouch. However, I already have a single remote that controls all that I need controlling and my (cheap from the USA) 30gb iPod looks after all my music that I listen to regularly. My feeling is that the £159  80gb "Classic" iPod is a bargain and £199 for a 8gb iTouch is just too much.

My first love is music (and I have my 30gb iPod) - if I need a posh remote or a remote web browser (other than my laptop, that I have to cart around anyway for work, and has a keyboard that I can use to search or work properly while in airports etc.) then I may consider somethig like this (by the way - how difficult is it to search for items on a phone or whatever that doesn't have a proper keyboard).

Its nice but still smacks of gadjit!

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 09-06-2007 8:23 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

I like this iPod touch, but I wil wait till the iPhones is launched here in Europe and get one as fast as possible. I think it simply is better value for money.

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 09-07-2007 4:00 AM In reply to

I will prefer to acquire an iPhone instead of this new iPod Touch considering the price of the lastest MP3 player.

It's a nice way for those who wish to have "All in One" (phone, MP3 player, etc.) to get something well designed, intuitive and beautiful to look at.

Guy 

--= "Everything gets done with Patience" =-- --= "Less is More" - Mies Van der Rohe"

--= BV10 46", BL8K, BL4K, BL2, BS Ouverture, BC6000 (Mk3), BT1100, Beo4 , A8 and ...the Atomic Floyd "Airjax+Mic" earphones =--

• 09-15-2007 3:00 PM In reply to

Will it be able to use the builtin WiFi to play through Airport Express?

michael

• 09-15-2007 3:48 PM In reply to

No, not for now, but it only needs a softwareupgrade, so hopefully in the near future..
  • 09-15-2007 7:24 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Seems like a sensible upgrade route for Apple, built-in iTunes sharing on the iPod touch.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 09-15-2007 8:05 PM In reply to

That would be a significant new feature though. In they did hardly ever throw these in via simple software update but through a new generation.

If they would do the touch with an 80gig or more harddrive, that would convert me. The wifi itunes streamining or itunes remote functionality would be icing on the cake. OK, if somebody would do an Itunes/Front Row remote on it, I woul deven buy a 4 gb version of it .... who are we kidding ....

Cheers
    JK

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 09-19-2007 10:38 AM In reply to

• Ryan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Toronto
    • Posts 29
    • Bronze Member

you can do this with Signal from alloysoft. It turns your ipod touch or iPhone into a remote control with album art for itunes - which can play through airport express. You have to leave a computer on but this seems like a pretty cool solution.
  • 09-19-2007 2:57 PM In reply to

Thanks Ryan for the tip on the Signal software.  I have used it on my iPhone and it works well.  It is a great iPhone wifi remote control. 

Bill 

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 10-06-2007 8:06 PM In reply to

Thanks for the Signal link - just what I've been looking for. 

I'd hoped that Apple would introduce this functionality but until they do, this is a great compromise. It almost takes iTunes into a Sonos-like set-up... almost.
  • 10-06-2007 8:08 PM In reply to

and btw, the iPod Touch is amazing. I've had it for three days now and loving it. 

The internet browser is surprisingly useful.

• 10-07-2007 6:11 AM In reply to

i don't know why everyone's so obsessed with having a massive capacity in their ipod , my 80 gig is basically 75% empty - despite me having every album by queen , zep and the who on it and loads of games and videos etc etc

with the compression in itunes and quicktime ( more than acceptable pic and sound for dramatic space savings ) , you can fit a gigantic amount of audio and video into 8 to 16 gigs

popgear is grate™

• 10-07-2007 9:35 AM In reply to

I travel a lot, I love music and I am watching TV series while in the gym. My 80 gig is packed. If I would plan and manage it better, yes i could live of 10 or 16 but to have everything at my fingertip is quite nice.

Fo rmost though, I agree 16 should be fine.

JK 

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 10-07-2007 3:50 PM In reply to

Remote Buddy for iPod Phone and Touch

Helps you control just about everything on your Mac, including remote controlling your music and movies.

http://tinyurl.com/26b3oj

• 10-07-2007 8:39 PM In reply to

Re: Remote Buddy for iPod Phone and Touch

Remote Buddy is indeed even more impressive. However, it seems a lot less stable than Signal. Do you also have stability issues (RB freezing)?

• 10-09-2007 4:09 AM In reply to

JoC:
     the new nano is just plain ugly

When I first saw the new design, I thought "noooo, it's the fatty!", but now I have one, and I love it to pieces. It's just so beautiful...

• 10-09-2007 12:11 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Henning:

JoC:
     the new nano is just plain ugly

When I first saw the new design, I thought "noooo, it's the fatty!", but now I have one, and I love it to pieces. It's just so beautiful...

Same! I wasn't so sure about the design when I first saw it, but now I've got one, and use it a lot, I love it to bits, especially since the software 1.0.2, it's actually reliable!

Weekly top artists:                   

Page 1 of 2 (33 items) 1 2 Next >