in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-19-2007 11:23 AM by hpersson. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-05-2007 5:44 AM

• hpersson
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-17-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 24
    • Bronze Member

Beocord 7000 and Beogram CD 7000

I recently bought a used Beosystem 7000 and there is a couple of issues with it, that I like your opinion on.

My Beocord 7000 sounds like there is a bit of wow and/or flutter when it plays in the forward direction, but not when playing in the reverse direction. Does anyone have a clue why this is? My own guess is, that it has something to do with the capstan roller, but there is no visual sign that indicates this, except perhaps for a missing spring, that is supposed to keep the roller away from the capstan when not in action, as I can see the one for reverse play has got.

The other thing that has caught my attention is that the CD player is somewhat noisy. It may be by design and I only noticed it because I was playing classical music and I could clearly hear this noise during the "weak passages". I opened the player but nothing looked wrong, so my guess is that it is the laser pickup that makes this "ticking" or "clicking" noise, when it focuses on the track or something like that. Does anyone know whether this is normal or it is something that should be fixed?

Regards

Henrik

Best regards

Henrik

• 09-05-2007 8:05 AM In reply to

• ChrDH
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 493
    • Founder

Re: Beocord 7000 and Beogram CD 7000

Hi there and welcome to beoworld!

Regarding the Beocord, the rubber bands driving the tape mechanism might need changing, it is not costly if you do it yourself. It is not that hard to do, but the member Dillen (Martin) is the right one to ask.

Regarding the beogram cd, I got a beogarm cd 5500 (same machine as a 7000) and it does exactly the same! I am not shure if it is supposed to do that, it can somethimes be annoying when listening at low levels.

Hope some one here can help you more.

best regards

Christian

Beosound Ouverture, Beocenter 9000, Beovision MX6000, Beocord VX7000
  • 09-05-2007 8:45 AM In reply to

• hpersson
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-17-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 24
    • Bronze Member

Thank you for your quick reply, but I don't suspect the rubber bands, since the wow I hear is only in one direction and there is only one rubber band for both capstans.

Regards

Best regards

Henrik

• 09-05-2007 11:54 AM In reply to

The CD5500 is pretty old now, also the cd7000 is around 15 years now, the clicking noise is the cd on the tablet. The laser pickup becommes lower and lower, the rubber springs are bending and the loaded cd gets contact to the tablet. That's what you hear.

Test this: if you dont run the unit, store it upside down... the noise will diappear... test ist for some days.

If it works, the rubber springs of the pickup needs rework, 4 washers will help. 

• 09-11-2007 12:31 PM In reply to

• hpersson
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-17-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 24
    • Bronze Member

I have done as you suggested. I turned the CD7000 upside down for 2-3 days and have now put it back with the other units and played a CD. But the clicking sound is still there.

I also played a CD with the lid off to be able to actually see for myself if the CD was touching something it shouldn't and that did not seem to be the case. When the tray closes there is a magnet locking the disc to the spindle, or whatever it is called. Nothing else touches the disc.

But does the laser pickup itself make a sound when it focuses on the track? I might just be a bit too sensitive to mechanical noise, when listening to my CDs.

Regards

Best regards

Henrik

• 09-11-2007 5:09 PM In reply to

Hi !, On the BC i have experienced the same with a BC3500 and a 6500 which i think are all based around the same mechanics (and unfortunately as with other equipment from this era already made of plastics contrary to 70's equipment largely made of metal...).

When the tape plays, have a close look at the left tape reel, this might move (turn) a bit ''shocking'' and if you see the ''break mechanism'' and push this in a little bit more this might solve that problem.

If so: you can see the break is released because of the metal head base plate pushing up a plastic pin which releases the breaks.

By making this plastic slightly thicker (i put a very small bit of silicone cable isolation over it) it pushes the breaks slightly more up and lets the left reel run free...

It's a bit hard to tell like this but if you look close on how that break release works you'll see what i mean :).

btw: the right pinch-roller is not supposed to have a spring unlike the left.

• 09-11-2007 5:20 PM In reply to

• hpersson
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-17-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 24
    • Bronze Member

Thank you very much for that piece of information. I'll look into it, as soon as I have some spare time.

Regards

Best regards

Henrik

• 09-11-2007 5:34 PM In reply to

If the sound (music) sounds like it has a ''hickup'' about twice per second it's probably this.

The little pin only has to be made thicker say with 0.4 mm or so material, if it get's too thick it keeps the pinch roller a bit off the capstan resulting in again distorted sound, so it takes a bit of experimenting....

Do keep us posted on your findings :).

• 09-19-2007 11:23 AM In reply to

• hpersson
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-17-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 24
    • Bronze Member

I have now gotten around working on both machines.

I have placed washers under the rubber suspension on the CD 7000, but they might not be thick or high enough, because I still hear the ticking noise. However, examining the operation of the drive with the lid off, I noticed that CDs are not necessarily centered properly, meaning that the hole in the CD is not exactly in the middle. This causes the pickup to constantly move forwards and backwards focusing on the “track”. I just have a feeling that the noise that I’m hearing is more prominent on these “uneven” discs. Nevertheless I will try to lift the suspension a bit more, when I find something suitable to place under the suspension rubber.

Regarding the Beocord 7000. It was a fairly easy operation. I used a bit of isolation from a wire, which was a tight fit, so that it will hopefully stay on the little plastic pin. I could verify visually that the brake was now fully released, when the heads were engaged. By the way, there was a ticking sound when playing in the reverse direction, that was caused be the brake as well. This has now also gone.

Thank you again for your help to all 3 of you, who came with good tips.

Best regards

Henrik

Best regards

Henrik

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)