in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-12-2008 4:13 AM by Stars. 21 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (22 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-04-2007 2:43 AM

Faulty B&O. Is it a reliable product?

I dearly love my B&O equipment and enjoy using it but have just sat back and tried to look objectively at what I own and how much it cost and find myself amazed by how faulty much of the equipment is. I know this is only a small sample but would like to give you some idea of the problems I am encountering at the moment.

Avant: I cannot get the picture or the DVD menus from the BC2 in the centre of the screen. They are off to the left. I have contacted service and they seem so far to have no solution (after a time lapse of two years!)

BC2: More often than I would like closes on the disc and then reports on the screen ‘close’ as if it is still open. The only way of getting it to operate is to shut the entire system down, wait a few minutes and start again

BS3: At the moment it is completely inoperable. It turns itself on when it decides to – even in the middle of the night! There is no way to turn it off as none of the controls work at all so I have to pull out the power and wait several days for it to run down. Cutting edge technology! My dealer says there is a problem with humidity and the touch panels and I have been waiting several weeks for a fix from Denmark.

Serene: Random numbers in the address book are prefixed by a +61 and will not dial, only giving a wrong number. There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to which numbers this is happening to. My dealer’s Serene is doing the same thing, as is a friend of mine’s. I reported the problem about 6 weeks ago and so far no fix in sight!

BC6000: Numbers are disappearing from the address book. I think the Serene is somehow deleting them when it syncs

Beolink Wireless: Works intermittently as long as no-one walks in the path. It is so annoying that I prefer to use it only when I am at home by myself sitting at my desk.

The only pieces that I am not having problems with at the moment are my speakers and the B&O answering machine.

I know this must sound like a gripe but I am getting really tired of expensive equipment that does not perform the most basic of functions, which I think you will agree these problems fall under.

I am also really tired of Dealers, Service departments and Regional Offices not being able to fix these problems. I have had service at my house so many times it is not funny!

I love the brand but am I kidding myself. My friends cannot believe how many problems B&O has and several that were about to join the fold have decided otherwise. Sometimes I am sorry I have got the bug.

I really want my experience to be positive, and I hope it will continue to be and improve, but at the moment I am really fed up.

Patrick

• 09-04-2007 3:06 AM In reply to

Re: Faulty B&O. Is it a reliable product?

What an appalling litany. I would suggest sending a copy of this to customer care at Struer and see if you get a response. The only fault I have had recently of any note was my Serene which I gave back when it failed twice. I do get the odd ML glitch when using it with my computer but I usually reckon this is software generated and probably the computer! Otherwise no faults. You pay for a high end system - you should expect it to work.
  • 09-04-2007 4:37 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Oh this is so sad to read. These issues certainly need to be sent through to struer.

Oh, have you tried using the service menu in the AVANT? We had the same issue with our BV3 and i simply went into the service menu (which is described in the service manual), wrote down the values (just in case i stuffed anything up), and adjusted the geometry. This fixed the problem and now the picture is dead straight and perfect. Smile

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 09-04-2007 4:59 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Although I agree with the others that you do seem to have an appalling list of issues with your kit, I must point out that the first two errors are most likely down to the BeoCenter 2 (of which those issues could stem from one small fault), the BC6000/Serene faults are most likely an issue with one or the other, not both, and the BeoLink Wireless is most probably not faulty, but it's more an issue with the wireless technology itself which is notoriously unreliable.

I hope that gives you a bit more faith in B&O, but still I think you should write to Struer, you shouldn't even have to 'put up' with a single fault.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 09-04-2007 10:45 AM In reply to

I agree to the others: Write (or mail) to B&O at Struer, i am sure they will take care of it. 
  • 10-29-2007 11:28 PM In reply to

An update on my situation:I have returned the BS3 as there is no fix in sight for the faulty touch pad on the top. If you are thinking of buying one I would reconsider until this problem is fixed. I have been told that it is only a matter of time until it malfunctions!the Serenes still have not been fixed and there is no news so far of a fix from B&O for the twin syncing problem.My BC2's Socket Unit has been taken away and most of the insides have been replaced. So far so good (although I have only been using it for a few days)The off centre picture on the Avant alas cannot be remedied. I simply have to live with it. I find it had to believe on a piece of equipment that is was expensive.The Wireless is still non operational as I am waiting a new version of the software (which I believe is the third upgrade) It is still in a trial version. Don't know when it will be for public release. Service will let me know.Things are on the improve but only just. This saga has been going on in various combinations for a cople of years now and the latest problems for several months.

Patrick

• 10-30-2007 5:43 AM In reply to

paddy2042:
    An update on my situation:I have returned the BS3 as there is no fix in sight for the faulty touch pad on the top. If you are thinking of buying one I would reconsider until this problem is fixed. I have been told that it is only a matter of time until it malfunctions!the Serenes still have not been fixed and there is no news so far of a fix from B&O for the twin syncing problem.My BC2's Socket Unit has been taken away and most of the insides have been replaced. So far so good (although I have only been using it for a few days)The off centre picture on the Avant alas cannot be remedied. I simply have to live with it. I find it had to believe on a piece of equipment that is was expensive.The Wireless is still non operational as I am waiting a new version of the software (which I believe is the third upgrade) It is still in a trial version. Don't know when it will be for public release. Service will let me know.Things are on the improve but only just. This saga has been going on in various combinations for a cople of years now and the latest problems for several months.

Hi Paddy,

This is a situation I would not put up with. Go back to the dealer and be more demanding. Depends what kind of person you are I suppose as some people feel uncomfortable complaining, I certainly don't. You need to fight this out until you get a 100% working system. Might be more tricky with the Avant because of its age and I don't know enough to comment about the level of integration you get between a BS3, a BC2 and the Avant. How backwards compatable are they for example? Don't let this rest anyway. If you don't have products that work as they should then take them all back and get a full refund. I do agree with Alex about the wireless technology so I feel there is little you can do about that. As mentioned, the Avant is also an older product now but could you trade it in against a newer model? The other products can all be returned for a refund. Have you thought about a BeoVision 7-40 Mark III (the latest released version) which arrives in the UK next month? Not sure when it will arrive in Australia but it has the BeoSystem 3 built in, a superb upscaling DVD player and of course the latest LCD panel and full HD with its 1080p screen. Its a real top telly. I have just bought one. As for the Serene there was a post about the problems you mentioned about a week ago and I am sure a couple of people resolved it in Australia. Have a search back using the keywords Serene and Address Book to hunt it down. All the best Paddy. Don't put up with bad equipment and bad service.

Simon.

"We can rebuild him. We have the technology." 7-40, 7-2, 9000, BS3, BC2, LC2, BC6000, Beo5
  • 12-26-2007 11:39 PM In reply to

I am now a more happey B&O owner. To fill you in on the goings on several things have happened.

I have had my BC2 completely replaced by a new one. After perhaps 6 or 8 tech visits there was nothing more that they could do. The Avant picture is still not in the centre - but I will have to live with that! (I had on loan a DVD1 when my BC2 was not operational and the picture from it was much more centered, which I guess means that it is the BC2 rather than the Avant causing the problem. 

I have had my money refunded for both Serenes, and have spent time fixing the numbers in the addressbook of the BC6000.  

The Wireless units have been replaced with new ones and the new software seems to be better.

I have had a full refund of the BS3 because of the faulty control panel.

Now I have less B&O but at least what I have seems to work.

Many thanks to the staff in Sydney showroom for an outstanding job in trying their hardest to fix my problem equipment.

Patrick

• 12-27-2007 1:08 AM In reply to

Its very encouraging to hear that the Sydney dealership have looked after you so well. Write off what has happened as a one off because you have been extremely unlucky. This is not at all typical of B&O you can be assured of that. There are many things that make them stand out as a company; excellent build quality, reliability, top quality control; first class packaging and distribution services and a hard to beat after sales customer service are only a few of the things B&O has built up over the years. Their products are thought out from start to finish with little (if any) compromise en-route. Keep buying B&O if you like it and don't let this experience cloud your judgement about this very good company. My thoughts for what its worth. Have a good new year. Best wishes.

Simon.    

"We can rebuild him. We have the technology." 7-40, 7-2, 9000, BS3, BC2, LC2, BC6000, Beo5
  • 12-27-2007 6:30 PM In reply to

• Dude1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-18-2007
    • London
    • Posts 189
    • Bronze Member

Just a quick help with a few of your issues, which look like most have been resolved.

• BS3 - This was found to have an issue with humidity in OZ / Asia.  The top pad has now been redesigned so should be fine. The ones they are selling again in Oz / Asia are the new version.
    • BC2 - You may have had a software issue. These have been common. Bang HO has committed huge resource to sorting this issue with this product - it has had its issues.
    • Serene - update the software. Some of which wasnt brilliant.
    • BC6000 - update the software. Your service dealer can do this. But also, make sure that you dont have the new "small" base station with older phones as it wont work. You should, for older phones have a large square base, or a charger with a light in it.
    • Wireless, will work fine to a point. A couple of my clients also had issues. Some of the wall internals / plumbing can affect it. Bang sales usually only sold as a last resort as wiring is far more reliable. Moving the base station or wireless kit can help. A version 2 of wireless is due soon.
    • Avant, is limited in help here as software is unlikely to go further.
  • 12-27-2007 9:54 PM In reply to

Dude1:

Just a quick help with a few of your issues, which look like most have been resolved.

• BS3 - This was found to have an issue with humidity in OZ / Asia.  The top pad has now been redesigned so should be fine. The ones they are selling again in Oz / Asia are the new version.
    • BC2 - You may have had a software issue. These have been common. Bang HO has committed huge resource to sorting this issue with this product - it has had its issues.
    • BC6000 - update the software. Your service dealer can do this. But also, make sure that you dont have the new "small" base station with older phones as it wont work. You should, for older phones have a large square base, or a charger with a light in it.
    • Wireless, will work fine to a point. A couple of my clients also had issues. Some of the wall internals / plumbing can affect it. Bang sales usually only sold as a last resort as wiring is far more reliable. Moving the base station or wireless kit can help. A version 2 of wireless is due soon.

Hey Dude,

Just noticed your avatar. I used to drive the Fiat Coupe myself in my late 20s. Lovely car, had it for a couple of years but then sold it on to get something more economical. Was filling her up every 2-3 days because I simply couldn't resist that accelerator pedal! Do you have the 16V or the 20V turbo? Gorgeous to drive with lovely interiors.

Simon.

• 12-30-2007 8:36 PM In reply to

• Dude1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-18-2007
    • London
    • Posts 189
    • Bronze Member

Funny you noticed that!

I had a 16v T Coupe, but i sold it a couple of years ago when i moved from NZ. Best car i have ever had - In Oz they dont import them, so i am coupe-less - but due to hit Europe so i will look for one there.....miss her dearly...

• 12-31-2007 2:20 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Southern CA
    • Posts 137
    • Bronze Member

My BeoSound 3 did the same thing and it was fixed just fine. 
    -Alex
  • 12-31-2007 2:31 PM In reply to

Dude1:

I had a 16v T Coupe, but i sold it a couple of years ago when i moved from NZ. Best car i have ever had .

I loved those too! awesome motors for the money! 

• 12-31-2007 5:26 PM In reply to

Dude1:

You know I am much happier now that all these issues have been fixed, however I noticed last night that the BC2 froze and I had to switch it all off at the wall to reset. I don't want to jinx the new equipment but I am worried already. I know everyone says that I have been unluck but do other people hve problems having to restart equipment. No-one ever seems to but it is interesting to note that everytime I mention these problems to sales or service, the first suggestion is to reset by turning it all off at the wall!!!!! So obviously this is not an uncommon problem.

I was in my showroom and was going to replace my BS3 with something else and I came out without anything thinking that I may be in for the same problems over again. I am finding it difficult to get my confidence back after such a bad experience. Maybe I am throwing good money after bad! I think it may take some time before I am able to buy anything else but we will see. I must admit however that nothing else I have seen on the market grabs me like B&O. I am thinking of trying some B&O from Ebay - at least it is cheaper. 

Patrick

• 12-31-2007 5:28 PM In reply to

Dude1:

You know, I am much happier now that all these issues have been fixed, however I noticed last night that the BC2 froze and I had to switch it all off at the wall to reset. I don't want to jinx the new equipment but I am worried already. I know everyone says that I have been unlucky, but do other people hve problems having to restart equipment. No-one ever seems to, but it is interesting to note that when I mention these problems to sales or service, the first suggestion is to reset by turning it all off at the wall!!!!! So obviously this is not an uncommon problem.

I was in my showroom and was going to replace my BS3 with something else and I came out without anything thinking that I may be in for the same problems over again. I am finding it difficult to get my confidence back after such a bad experience. Maybe I am throwing good money after bad! I think it may take some time before I am able to buy anything else but we will see. I must admit however that nothing else I have seen on the market grabs me like B&O. I am thinking of trying some B&O from Ebay - at least it is cheaper. 

Patrick

• 12-31-2007 5:50 PM In reply to

Hi Paddy,

I am only answering this post as my missus is due to give birth today New years eve of all days & of course we cannot go partying , so anyway here I am

I think your problem could be down to power issues i.e. power surges etc upsetting the sensitive electronics, have you got or can you try a surge protector on the equipment, the reason i suggest this is because I read in an earlier post about a Beovision basically blowing up due to a surge issue,

give it a try as a clean mains supply is always beneficial to sound and vision anyway so you will not lose, well apart from the cost of a surge protector.

Regards Simon

• 12-31-2007 6:00 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

paddy2042:

You know, I am much happier now that all these issues have been fixed, however I noticed last night that the BC2 froze and I had to switch it all off at the wall to reset. I don't want to jinx the new equipment but I am worried already. I know everyone says that I have been unlucky, but do other people hve problems having to restart equipment. No-one ever seems to, but it is interesting to note that when I mention these problems to sales or service, the first suggestion is to reset by turning it all off at the wall!!!!! So obviously this is not an uncommon problem.

I have had to reset my BeoSystem at the mains twice, as well as my Philips TV, Rotel surround sound amp, hard drive recorder/freeview box etc... It's very normal. The worst for having to be rebooted at the mains are Sky boxes...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 01-11-2008 3:55 AM In reply to

• peterb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-27-2007
    • Sydney
    • Posts 20
    • Gold Member

well i find myself now asking the same question as paddy...

today my BV6-22 barely 3 years old was carted off for repair with likely replacement of something very signficant (screen dim and flickering). I worry about the cost of repaid for such a new but very expensive TV. It died on Christmas eve and yesterday was the first time i coud get onto the service centre

The very same day my BS3 has failed in the same way described as paddy's; no real control of the touch pad, it turns on to any station at random, no control of volume, difficult to even turn off. And it's not a humid day in Sydney. Luckily its still under warranty

Last year my new BS2 was returned with too much white noise; my BL2500 speakers were in the shop for months with a buzz which still continues; my BS2300 doors sometime fail to open for days on end.

At least my Beolit 600 is reliable

• 01-11-2008 6:26 AM In reply to

Well, I am out of ideas now! Can't offer any other advice. What is it with B&O products in Australia? Perhaps they just don't work well in that environment for some reason! Sorry to hear you both have had all these problems, it really isn't typical. I have the BS3 and it has worked like a gem since day 1. I think its a great little product and use it often. I also owned the BS2300 for about 8 years before I traded it in against new equipment and I never once had a fault of any kind with it. All other B&O equipment I have owned and currently owned works flawlessly. I wish you could have the same experience.

All the best.

Simon.

• 01-11-2008 7:19 PM In reply to

• Dude1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-18-2007
    • London
    • Posts 189
    • Bronze Member

mmm. Frustrating.

BS3 - Ask for a SW update. I am aware that there is a new one, if you have not already had it updated.

BV6, Not like these to go faulty so quickly. Will be screen related. Check with the service centre regarding your warranty.

BL2500 - what is this connected to?

BS2300 - software. Have this updated to the latest variant.

• 01-12-2008 4:13 AM In reply to

mobeyone:
    Dude1:

I had a 16v T Coupe, but i sold it a couple of years ago when i moved from NZ. Best car i have ever had .

I loved those too! awesome motors for the money! 

A great Italian design, and the 20v goes like a rocket!

Page 1 of 1 (22 items)