in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-05-2007 3:51 AM by j0hnbarker. 29 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-03-2007 5:14 AM

Super Angry [8o|] The 'Party' smiley must die!

Anyone else want to see the 'Party' smiley killed off asap? Perhaps it's a Monday morning thing, but it's been doing my bloody head in seeing that irritating animation in the subject line of a couple of messages. Yes, I know I've posted the swearing smiley in the subject line for this post and that might be equally as irksome to others, and yes, I'm sure you would be happy with a new Beovision 9 arriving imminently, but please, please can we exterminate this little bugger?

Perhaps we could have a poll on this? For those that don't know what the 'Party' smiley looks like, here he is, in all his glory Party!!!

I feel that only through verse can I express my disdain for this yellow annoyance:

The Party smiley must die!
    For he's a t**t, and so says I

Right, better go back and do some work now that's off my chest.................

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 09-03-2007 5:22 AM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Re: The 'Party' smiley must die!

Well. I'm shocked!
    I think that the party smiley is the best one of the lot. Cheerful and happy, raises the spirits.
    It must be a Yorkshire thing.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 09-03-2007 5:28 AM In reply to

• Christian
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 626
    • Bronze Member

I do not want the party smilie to die, but it is irritating me when the forum front page is dancing all over my screen.

Living room: BV7-40 mkIV + V8000, BL5, BL3, BM1 and BS9000. Bedroom: MX3000 and BL4500 on MCL2-AV. Around: PentaIII, CX100 and MCX35 on ML/MCL + MCL2-A, BeoPort and BL4 on ML, BS3300 + M75 as stand alone, BC6000 + BC600 and BT1100, LC1, LC2, Beo4, Beo5 and BL1000, BS2 and A8, EarSet2, Apron, Coffee mugs, Enamel Bagdes, Bath towel, Keyring, Books, Lots of miniature and the Bottle opener. Office: BC2300 + BL2500 and BS3. Summer house: BS Century.

Addicted? Oh no.... ;)

• 09-03-2007 5:35 AM In reply to

" />

• 09-03-2007 6:58 AM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

Save the 'Party' smiley

I love the Party!!!

I think he is the nicest one we have. Long may he live!

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 09-03-2007 7:08 AM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

Re: Save the 'Party' smiley

I like it

Party!!!Party!!!Party!!!Party!!!Party!!!Party!!!Party!!!Party!!! Party!!!Party!!!Party!!!Party!!! Party!!!Party!!!Party!!!Party!!!Party!!!Party!!!Party!!!Party!!!Party!!!Party!!!Party!!!Party!!! Party!!!Party!!!Party!!!Party!!! Party!!!Party!!!Party!!!Party!!!Party!!!Party!!!Party!!!Party!!!Party!!!Party!!!Party!!!Party!!! Party!!!Party!!!Party!!!Party!!! Party!!!Party!!!Party!!!Party!!!Party!!!Party!!!Party!!!Party!!!Party!!!Party!!!Party!!!Party!!! Party!!!Party!!!Party!!!Party!!! 

• 09-03-2007 7:13 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I like it too, I think you've been outvoted John...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 09-03-2007 7:27 AM In reply to

i rather not use the smiles, it's kinda boring sometimes to read a thread with lots of "things".

Pedro "Less is more"

BV7-40 MKII + BL7.2 + BL9 + BL3 + BS4 + BL4 + A9 + Earset 2 + 2 x Beo4 + BeoCom 5

• 09-03-2007 7:30 AM In reply to

• Fulgore
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 63
    • Founder

I like it, too.

• 09-03-2007 7:41 AM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

I think its only annoying when the party smiley is added to the post heading because then you always see it and it does become a tad annoying. To add it into the actual post is fine to me.

Durban South Africa

• 09-03-2007 8:50 AM In reply to

You lot are all a bunch of big softies! Come on lads! Let's get tough and exterminate the little bugger Devil

• 09-03-2007 9:03 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

I hate this smiley when it's on the subject list in the topic of mr anderson getting a BV9. Rubbing salt in the wound for all of those who can't afford one grrrr lol Laughing

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 09-03-2007 12:40 PM In reply to

i love the party smiley
  • 09-03-2007 1:44 PM In reply to

j0hnbarker:
    You lot are all a bunch of big softies! Devil

LOL this coming from a man who collects Pudsey Bear Memorabilia. Party!!!

Never Mind The Ball-Cocks www.markmossplumbing.co.uk

A labourer uses his hands
    A tradesman uses his hands and his head
    A craftsman uses his hands, his head and his heart

• 09-03-2007 2:11 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

It's my favourite smiley too !!

However, if enough people say "kill the party smiley" i will consider exterminating it...  But, i think j0hnbarker may have a 'one man lynch mob' a-huntin old party-boy...

I do have some more smileys lined up to annoy you all, and some will go.  Got to keep it interesting! Laughing

Lee

PS - Please remember Pudsey Bear = Charidee ...  i'm sure j0hnbarker means well with the avatar, even though it's holding a shotgun! Hmm

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 09-03-2007 3:13 PM In reply to

9 LEE:

It's my favourite smiley too !!

However, if enough people say "kill the party smiley" i will consider exterminating it...  But, i think j0hnbarker may have a 'one man lynch mob' a-huntin old party-boy...

I do have some more smileys lined up to annoy you all, and some will go.  Got to keep it interesting! Laughing

Lee

PS - Please remember Pudsey Bear = Charidee ...  i'm sure j0hnbarker means well with the avatar, even though it's holding a shotgun! Hmm

Pudsey is brandishing a Beolink 1000 Lee, but I can assure you it's not in anger (at least as long as the Party smiley isn't around).

• 09-03-2007 3:13 PM In reply to

• joynsyde
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-09-2007
    • Midwest, U.S.A.
    • Posts 130
    • Bronze Member

All animated smileys annoy me. 

Having smileys at all is somewhere on the borderline between dignity and triviality, IMHO, but since this is a forum, and we're all communicating via written word, we have neither voice inflection nor body language to help us emphasize our points. The stationary images help fill in the gaps nicely, I think. However, the animations are distracting.  But I have too many other things to think about in my life... I won't let it get to me.  If you want to express yourself that way, more power to you, as long as I can understand what you're saying.

...my two cents ~AJ
  • 09-03-2007 3:58 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Long live Party Smiley. Party!!!Party!!!Party!!!

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 09-03-2007 4:01 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

How's about we change the question to Carol smilie??Party!!!

I apologise if this is in bad taste and will settle for her being prevented from being on TV ever againSmile

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 09-04-2007 3:14 AM In reply to

• SKApretto71
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Europe - Italy - Tuscany - Fucecchio
    • Posts 66
    • Founder

May be wecan just propose to avoid animated smileys on the subject line, while keeping them free of use on the message text?

This sounds reasonable to me, and I'd be happy.

---

Raffaele "SKApretto n.71" Sgherri

I like Chrome and spread it!

• 09-04-2007 9:05 AM In reply to

I'm not a big fan of smileys either. Especially party smiley.
    However I can live with non animated smileys...
    David the BeoPerson
  • 09-04-2007 9:55 AM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

beoperson:
    I'm not a big fan of smileys either. Especially party smiley.
    However I can live with non animated smileys...

...as on can see in you signature! Stick out tongue

Cheers!

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 09-04-2007 10:46 AM In reply to

• dave1900
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • gloucester
    • Posts 6
    • Bronze Member

You see there is not much to be happy about in West Yorks, so I can understand the negative feelings towards the party smiley. Also it's a Yorkshire thing, to be miserable. Yorkies seem to relish being in a cloud of gloom, a bit like "pig in sh!t" type of thing. Another way to bring gloom is to say it's not manly, not butch. Strangely then as a counterpoint, the gloomy Yorkie has some unusual gentile hobby like a dried flower collection. Beneath the donkey jacket and pit booits (boots) lies a sensitive caring person.

This is why B&O stuff is so important to us Yorkshire folk, our lives are full of gloom, rain, mud and dirt, we need something glorious to look at. Something worthy, something to justify the effort of breaking off the baked on muck from our eyelids.

Where there's muck there's brass. Where there's brass there's B&O stuff.

(BTW: Yorkshire translation, brass = money)

• 09-04-2007 11:08 AM In reply to

Crikey Dave! As I sit looking out of my office window as the sun glistens off the office buildings in central Leeds, it's kind of hard to reconcile your earnest assessment of the Yorkshire weather, psyche and downtrodden landscape. Tell me, do you miss the place much? I guess at least it's drier in Gloucestershire........oh, hang on, it's not, is it.

I think you were a little unfair to suggest that as a person and Yorkshireman I am mired in gloom, resulting in macho slapdowns to other forum members who don't take umbrage with the Party smiley in the same way that I do. I may perhaps have an excess of civic pride that fuels a strange collecting hobby based on bright yellow charity logos, though surely that's preferable to painting other people with such broad, maudlin strokes as you have in your post. Lightning Storm No - thumbs down

• 09-04-2007 1:02 PM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

dave1900:

You see there is not much to be happy about in West Yorks, so I can understand the negative feelings towards the party smiley. Also it's a Yorkshire thing, to be miserable. Yorkies seem to relish being in a cloud of gloom, a bit like "pig in sh!t" type of thing. Another way to bring gloom is to say it's not manly, not butch. Strangely then as a counterpoint, the gloomy Yorkie has some unusual gentile hobby like a dried flower collection. Beneath the donkey jacket and pit booits (boots) lies a sensitive caring person.

This is why B&O stuff is so important to us Yorkshire folk, our lives are full of gloom, rain, mud and dirt, we need something glorious to look at. Something worthy, something to justify the effort of breaking off the baked on muck from our eyelids.

Where there's muck there's brass. Where there's brass there's B&O stuff.

(BTW: Yorkshire translation, brass = money)

Your spot on. Big Smile

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >