in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-03-2007 6:38 PM by sverreh. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-02-2007 9:19 AM

BeoSystem 3 DVB-S/T module white MPEG4 deccoding capability ?

Hi !

Does anybody know; If B&O plans to SOON uppgrade The DVB-S/T module In BeoSystem 3  white MPEG4 deccoding capability

Talisman:-)

BeoVision 4 - 50 HD -  Beo5 - Beolab 5 - Beolab 7-1 - Beolab 6000 .

• 09-03-2007 2:56 AM In reply to

Re: BeoSystem 3 DVB-S/T module white MPEG4 deccoding capability ?

As you know B&O does not do anything quickly, so plans for an upgrade soon seem unlikely, particularly as currently the DVB-S/T (combined unit) is only used in the Beosystem 3. On the other hand, when it does come it will be an easy upgrade because it will be just an upgrade of the software.

Regards Keith....

• 09-03-2007 4:24 AM In reply to

I can be wrong, but decoding mpeg4 does not sound to me as an upgrade of the software. I think talisman is talking about HDTV mpgeg4.
  • 09-03-2007 4:37 AM In reply to

Yes, I understood talisman's point, but whilst B&O are not very quick at providing product facilities others already have in place, what they are good at, is advanced product planning. That is why you can fit a DVB-T upgrade module to an AVANT DVD for "Freeview" as an example.

Regards Keith....

• 09-03-2007 8:51 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

MPEG4 is just a codec, a piece of software which instructs the hardware how to decode a new kind of signal.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 09-03-2007 8:57 AM In reply to

Yes a codec is a piece of software, but it can also be implemented as a hardware chip.

A mpeg4 codec needs much more processing power than MPEG 1 & 2, and a simple software upgrade may not be possible if the hardware is not powerful enough.

p.

• 09-03-2007 6:38 PM In reply to

• sverreh
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 88
    • Founder

talisman:

Does anybody know; If B&O plans to SOON uppgrade The DVB-S/T module In BeoSystem 3  white MPEG4 deccoding capability

I did ask B&O during a wednesday chat session a long time ago (last fall sometime). Their short answer at that point in time was that no upgrade was planned.  It might be of value to raise the question again since DVB/T with MPEG4 is being implemented in Norway these days.   

Sverre 

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)