in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-29-2007 11:21 PM by paddy2042. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-31-2007 9:35 PM

• clifft
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Ballarat Australia
    • Posts 64
    • Founder

Serene Phonebook Problem

Can anyone please help with this problem?  Last year whilst in London, I had an acute Beovirus attack and bought a Serene.  At the time, they were unavailable in Australia but I was assured that it would work with the Australian SIM card.  The phone works well and I am happy with it except for one problem, it still thinks it is in the UK!  Most (but strangely not all) the numbers in the phonebook are prefixed by +61 i.e. the International access code for Australia including those automatically transferred from my Beocom 6000 when I place it in the docking station.  This means that when I try to dial a number from the phonebook, it dials the whole lot including +61 so the call fails.  I took it into my local B & O store and they sent it away to the Australian service centre where some new software was added but it hasn't made any difference!  I have opened the phone whilst in the dock and changed the country code to Australia but still no effect.  My local shop is at a loss to explain the problem, much less fix it. Surely a complete software replacement should fix it?  Any ideas. anyone?  Cliff
  • 09-01-2007 4:40 AM In reply to

Re: Serene Phonebook Problem

I and a friend both have Serenes and they both do what you are explaining. I have also brought it up with my dealer in sydney and they cannot find a fix. I also think that they are deleting numbers from my 6000 at home as numbers that used to be in the 6000 phonebook are now gone.

It is interesting that it does not add +61 to every number and many will not dial at all with this prefix. I am constantly editing numbers so that I can actually ring them (which is a pain on the run) only to find out that when it is docked at home the phone adds the prefix again.

We looked at the demo Serene in the shop and it was adding the same prefix.

This is such a pain that it is making the phones virtually unusable. (My friend is just as annoyed as I am and being a first B&O purchase for him, he really doubts the brand is up to it's reputation!)

I have actually contemplated dumping the phone and going back to my old Nokia.

I will be interested in a solution.

Patrick

• 09-01-2007 6:46 AM In reply to

• clifft
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Ballarat Australia
    • Posts 64
    • Founder

Oh dear!  This does not sound good for a speedy solution.  Are we the only ones in Australia to have the problem? If any dealers are reading this, perhaps they could chip in anonymously.  Surely this is something B & O in Struer could sort out.  After all it is not as though the phones sre cheap!!  Cliff
  • 09-03-2007 12:35 AM In reply to

Cliffas I said even the dealer Serene had the problem. I have them looking into the problem but am not hopeful of a result.

Patrick

• 09-03-2007 4:03 AM In reply to

• clifft
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Ballarat Australia
    • Posts 64
    • Founder

Thanks, Patrick. I am hoping that Struer must have an answer.  Surely, if they completely wipe the software and reload Oz version it will work?  After all, what is in those they send to the shops here?  The guts of the phone cannot be different for each country.  Cliff
  • 09-03-2007 6:08 AM In reply to

Hi

Not sure if this helps, but I have a Serene. I remember reading that all entries should be added to Serene with country code     then  when it  syncswith 6000 or bc2, then the numbers will be Ok. I haven't tried the other way round, is that the cause of the problem?

Brian

• 09-03-2007 1:35 PM In reply to

I don't have mine anyore, so am trying to remember the details.  When in the dock you have access to the "docking station" menu under settings.

In here you can set the area and country codes, and also the length of a local number.  eg, if you local numbers are 6 digit, then and you tel the phone that, hen it won't add area/country codes to 6 digit numbers.

Have a play with that menu and I am sure you will work it out.  Back your numbers up (or write them down) first though.  In the Uk the info for this menu was in a docking station manual which came with the phone

• 09-03-2007 4:48 PM In reply to

• clifft
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Ballarat Australia
    • Posts 64
    • Founder

Thanks, Rednik.  My phone is at the dealers at present.  I will try this when I get it back.  Patrick, how about giving it a go?  Cliff
  • 10-21-2007 11:51 PM In reply to

I have tried playing with these settings and have even been given a set of numbers to put in this menu from B&O. No luck so far. In fact the problem is getting bigger. The phones are deleting the first zero from the mobile numbers and area codes so now the numbers will not dial at all from either of the Serenes or the BC6000. My phonebooks are useless as the numbers have been corrupted. There does not seem to be any consistency with this however as some have been altered and some not. I have been waiting for an answer from B&O now for several months and alas nothing. My dealer has been very patient with the problem and has given much of his time in helping with the problem but to no avail. I thought B&O may have released new software that may have solved the problem but no news as yet.

Patrick

• 10-22-2007 7:01 AM In reply to

• clifft
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Ballarat Australia
    • Posts 64
    • Founder

Patrick,
    Your problem seems even worse than mine and you seem to have been very patient.  It would seem time that B & O replaced your phone with a new one as surely the current one cannot be said to be "of merchantable quality". Maybe you are being too nice as probably you have developed a good relationship with your dealer and don't want to be too pushy.  However, it looks like you both are being ignored by B & O. It certainly isn't his fault that the phone doesn't work as it is supposed to. Surely B & O would want to protect their good name and reputation and replacing a dud phone would seem a small and obvious way to do it.  Maybe a trip to get some advice from Consumer Affairs is in order.  You may then be able to do some table-thumping with the law on your side!  Clifft
  • 10-23-2007 8:11 PM In reply to

I don't think that it is a fault with the phone. I just think B&O never thought through the idea that a household may have two serenes syncing with the one PSTN base station. I think a software upgrade may solve the problem. I agree however that my dealer has been wonderful but B&O themselves do not seem to care enough to address the problem. Even after sinding an email direct to Streuer they only replied after they were prompted by a local representative.

Patrick

• 10-29-2007 11:21 PM In reply to

Is mine the only household on the planet with two Serenes docking with one PSTN? Surely I cannot be! I have completey deregistered the Serenes from the PSTN and they are now working fine, except they will not do the very thing that I bought them for - syncing with the home phone. This is really frustrating and no-one - even on this forum - seems to have an answer. Does it really indicate that not many people are using the Serene?

Patrick

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)