in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-31-2007 1:51 AM by Daniel Seiler. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-29-2007 11:18 AM

Picture & Sound quality in Cinemas

Hi

I'm not sure about the average beoworlder (if there is such a thing), but can I say how disappointed I am in the cinema experience  at the cinema. I add that last bit on in case you think I mean the cinema experience at home.

Sound isn't particularly good, in fact the dolby advert at the beginning is better, and the picture IMHO is scrappy, jumps and if you look carefully (if the film is boring) you see scratches and blotches in the frame.

Obviously this is because most film producers are still on celluloid and the film is still developed (rather than digital).

I'm not sure what my point is, except that more and more I hesitate on going to the cinema, and just wait for the DVD to come out.

Cheers

Brian

• 08-29-2007 11:27 AM In reply to

Re: Picture & Sound quality in Cinemas

Brian here again

I know what my point was, I was wondering about anyones views about the difference between our B&O driven cinema experience compared with 'the real thing'.

Brian

• 08-29-2007 11:43 AM In reply to

• David
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-05-2007
    • England
    • Posts 128
    • Bronze Member

I totally agree. We use the Showcase Cinema in Nottingham and the sound quality is shocking. Buzzing side speakers and missing center channels. My wife loves going to the cinema but I am beginning to hate it. Far too much distraction. Would much rather be a t home with my B&O.

Beolab 8000, Beolab 6000, Beolab 2, LG CX65, Beosystem 3, Beosound 9000, Beolab 3500

• 08-29-2007 12:13 PM In reply to

• Toubro
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 263
    • Founder

I love going to the cinema, and prefer Imperial in Copenhagen. They show some movies in digital format, so scratches and the likes are avoided.

But I must admit that I also love going to the home cinema Stick out tongue although my speakers aren't connected at present, as I've just moved, so I can't wait till it is all up and running so I can enjoy a good movie.

I don't think that it's all about the movie when it comes to the cinema. I enjoy the whole package, the special feeling there is.
    But on the other hand, it's also nice to watch a movie at home, because of the privacy, and there isn't someone tall in front of you or someone who annoys you during the movie.

• 08-29-2007 12:14 PM In reply to

• Toubro
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 263
    • Founder

I love going to the cinema, and prefer Imperial in Copenhagen. They show some movies in digital format, so scratches and the likes are avoided.

But I must admit that I also love going to the home cinema Stick out tongue although my speakers aren't connected at present, as I've just moved, so I can't wait till it is all up and running so I can enjoy a good movie.

I don't think that it's all about the movie when it comes to the cinema. I enjoy the whole package, the special feeling there is.
    But on the other hand, it's also nice to watch a movie at home, because of the privacy, and there isn't someone tall in front of you or someone who annoys you during the movie.

• 08-29-2007 12:46 PM In reply to

David:
    I totally agree. We use the Showcase Cinema in Nottingham and the sound quality is shocking. Buzzing side speakers and missing center channels. My wife loves going to the cinema but I am beginning to hate it. Far too much distraction. Would much rather be a t home with my B&O.

I use the same cinema and concur.

Sound usually far too loud - almost painful. My BL2 does a better jobBig Smile

• 08-29-2007 1:36 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

Since I have my BV7 with B&O surround sound, I have been to the cinema only twice. I know the feeling is somehow different, but I really prefer watching movies at home. The quality of our cinemas over here is very good, as the 2 biggest ones were renovated 2 years ago, but that doesn't make me want to go there...

The difference between cinema and home-cinema is not as big as the difference betwenn CD and concert, that's why I prefer going to concerts, which I do very often.

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 08-29-2007 2:05 PM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

I prefer watching movies at home too. You can choose who you are watching it with that way. I am a magnet for village idiots. Erm
  • 08-29-2007 3:18 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Sound and picture quality at the local Odeon is rubbish. Really bad motion juddering, pale blacks, chromatic aberration at the edge of the image, shoddy speaker levels (centre channel always too quiet, too much from the rears) and the subwoofers in some of the screens rattle.

Overall, I much prefer watching at home properly, although I don't have a BeoVision, only a tiny little 17" Philips LCD, so it's not massively better as far as picture goes (in fact it's worse). Much much better sound though...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 08-29-2007 8:20 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Wow, while i love what we have at home regarding AV, i still love the movies, we must have good theaters compared to guys over there! Most of our cinemas are decked out with Krix, and the picture normally very well balanced and clear. Can't beat the bellowing lows, the realistic balance of sound for the speech and the huge screen.

Big Smile

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 08-30-2007 2:56 AM In reply to

• Beolab
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 535
    • Bronze Member

Just wait a year or two then the new cinema digital DCP 4xFULL HD  projectors will take over the analog 32mm projectors.. The new 4xHD projectors will have  a resolution of 4096x2160 pixel or 8.8 Megapixel..! Your eyes will melt because of the insane picture quality and sharpness! =)=)

read more about it here in English :

http://digitalcontentproducer.com/news/Sony_Quvis_DCP_102805/

In Swedish with a picture of the Sony Projector.

http://www.letsgodigital.org/se/15335/sonys_4k_digital_projection_system/

Regards!

BL8000 MkII Black

• 08-30-2007 3:51 AM In reply to

The same with me as with some of the others before: The picture in the cinema is not as good as at home. Soundwise it's good, but the whole athmosphere makes the 'real' cinema enjoyable.

But it's sad the way it is, before (home cinema with surround sound) you would go to the cinema for an experience, sound that comes from all directions with bass that shakes you. Now you can even get HD-DVD, Blue-Ray and in the cinema you have a 24 frames a second, appallingly bad in pans, projector picture. They really have to improve in this area!

Cheers,
    Frank

• 08-30-2007 4:03 AM In reply to

Can't complain over the cinema systems in Belgium...

The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

• 08-30-2007 8:14 AM In reply to

About soundsystems and picture I wouldn't complain much. I would want though a very different experience, more comfortable seating, more like a lounge. I also would want proper drinks, cocktails, brought to the table. And better snacks. I know that some hotels in NYC have screening rooms, which come very close but they typically don't offer regular and current screenings.

Unless I can find that in a cinema, I prefer home.

JK

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 08-30-2007 9:24 AM In reply to

• h1npw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • A cricket ball throw from Trent Bridge
    • Posts 776
    • Founder

We too use the same cinema as hovercrafter and David & agree !  Maybe we should all go in mob-handed, kidnap the manager and take him to B&O Nottingham !

Cheers

Nigel 

• 08-30-2007 6:19 PM In reply to

• abre
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Posts 3
    • Silver Member

don't kidnap him just complain...

and I'm sorry but film is the original HD, 4K is the closest digital can get to film resolution!  Sony's 4K projectors are good but still can't beat a good projected 70mm print, also just because it's sharp doesn't make it good, the sharpness increases the visual artefacts that are a trade off with HD, I've never seen a good moving HD picture yet, plenty of good stills though!

HD = the emperor's new clothes

and boy are the manufacturers doing a good job selling it!  I work with HD every day and I can't believe how bad it really is.   Long live film!
  • 08-30-2007 6:31 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I agree about the motion artifacts, they're a bigger problem when an HD source is used, however I disagree that you can get better definition from film. Film produces a stunning picture, almost in the realms of what a good (although admittedly far more expensive) digital HD camera can produce.

Having seen a digital picture at the local Odeon, the sooner cinemas permanently switch to digital, the better. I saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on the digital screen (which they were only running for a month or so) and it produced a far, far better picture than anything else I've seen at the same cinema.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 08-31-2007 1:51 AM In reply to

Quite okay here in Basel. We have several cinemas, okay the "alternative" cinemas do not have that great sound & picture quality. But the multiplex cinemas do quite well. I did see Transformers lately, and the sound was very good, the picture too, especially in the end where the movie is really fast. Don't know if this was already HD, but it was good.
Page 1 of 1 (18 items)