in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-01-2007 5:35 PM by jk1002. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-29-2007 9:34 AM

• Sal
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-30-2007
    • Indianapolis, USA
    • Posts 261
    • Bronze Member

Leaning toward iRed / IRTrans...

Hi all,

It's been a while and I love the new place (well it's new to me)...

I have been on the fence and doing a lot of research on the control of non B & O devices from the Beo4, and obviously come up with the two choices: Lintronic, and IRTrans/iRED...

I don't have a PC and don't want to have to get one, borrow one, etc for Lintronic (mainly because I am the kind of person who likes to tweak and experiment, and think that it would be a colossal waste of money to buy one just for the sake of being able to program Lintronic macros)...

So, I have been leaning toward IRTrans/iRED... I am wondering if I am correct in my findings that I can indeed use the IRTrans Translator module connected to my Mac in my living room to control both the Mac as well as non-B & O devices in it's vicinity (by allowing the software to learn the remote codes) and having the IRTrans module "translate" the mapped Beo4 codes to their respective IR codes for the non B & O devices.

I know this is a tedious task, but I would like to employ a device (the mac) which I am familiar with and enjoy using.

So.. is this possible, and what would I need? I have been in touch with Michael at iRED, and the gentleman who makes IRTrans, and here's what I have come up with as the ingredient list, please tell me if it is accurate:

IRTrans Translator + iRED license

IRTrans Translator Power supply (to overcome the sleeping USB ptoblem)

External 6 way IR blasters (which will connect to the IRTrans Translator) and to 6 external devices

The question I have is if the IR emmiter on the IRTrans translator is powerful enough to send IR signals to the entire living room (it is a medium sized room with windows on only one side), if this is so, I won't have to get the IR blasters.

Thank you for your input.

-Sal

Love B&O, but no longer addicted.
  • 08-31-2007 5:36 AM In reply to

Re: Leaning toward iRed / IRTrans...

Hi Sal,

Both IRTRANS and LINTRONIC require configuration.

However, LinTronic offer a much greater means of using the BEO4.
    And if you like to tweak and experiment, this is really the way to go.

And yes, our booster is powerfull enough to reach all your device in the same room.

Not to mention our upcoming HomeAutomation.

• 08-31-2007 6:47 AM In reply to

• maclife
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-16-2007
    • Brussels, Belgium
    • Posts 26
    • Bronze Member

Re: Leaning toward iRed / IRTrans...

LinTronic:
    Both IRTRANS and LINTRONIC require configuration.

However, LinTronic offer a much greater means of using the BEO4.
    And if you like to tweak and experiment, this is really the way to go.

And yes, our booster is powerfull enough to reach all your device in the same room.

Not to mention our upcoming HomeAutomation.

Well, this is some kind of a good example for using a forum for advertising in a very blatantly obvious manner. There is no Lintronic hardware at all available for integrating in networks (with or without PoE), neither is there an USB version available (forget about your adapter solutions, we’re living in 2007). But the main problem of Lintronic is its complete lack of any Mac software. Of course, there are no problems or whatsoever using the Beo4 and its 455 KHz commands as the choice of IRTrans module models and accessory combinations is quite huge. Last but not least, there are already existing solutions of home automation systems using iRed/IRTrans, so your upcoming ideas are not impressive at all.
  • 09-01-2007 8:43 AM In reply to

• Sal
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-30-2007
    • Indianapolis, USA
    • Posts 261
    • Bronze Member

Thank you

Thank you for the responses.

I don't mind Lintronic stating their case as best they can. In fact it helps. I still think that lack of Mac support is a big shortcoming for them. Even if the current Mac line supports Windows, I certainly don't want to and haven't seen the need to purchase windows for anything.

In any case, I think I'll be making my purchase rather soon.

I still need advice on whether my equipment list is accurate.

-Sal
  • 09-01-2007 2:36 PM In reply to

Re: Thank you

I don't think it is. IRTRANS has a special version that supports the B&O IR frequency that is a bit uncommon. Without buying the standard IRTRANS as well I don't think you will be able to control non B&O decices.

And also, giving the amount of USB port problems he different mac models had, I would strongly recommend the network version. It also will give you more placement options, I think you can connect it even to an Airport Express and add it this way to your network.

I have a small room, while I think the basic IR module is quite efficient, I am hiding it behind my imac which affecs reception and sending a bit. So how many transmitters you will need depends a lot on how you can position the devices.

Please note, using multiple IRTrans module is in the very early stages, not sure if that works or not but I am sure it will be frustrating to get that working.

I would limit myself to controling the Mac with it, and thenmaybe down the line add more functions onc having multiple modules is a bit better supported. I think this is an area where Lintronik is better, but like everybody else I don't want it as there is not software for the mac to program it.

Cheers
    JK

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 09-01-2007 3:16 PM In reply to

• Sal
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-30-2007
    • Indianapolis, USA
    • Posts 261
    • Bronze Member

Thanks JK

JK,

I remember chatting on a thread regarding something like this in the old Beoworld, but I have been away from the BeoCommuity for a while now.

Having communicated with the folks from both iRED and IRTrans, I was told that an IRTrans Translator is the module which has both the ability to send and receive both B & O and non B & O IR signals.

Whether I get the USB or network version is now the question. As you stated the network version may be more "stable" and the ability to connect it to an AEX station is very flexible and useful.

Additionally, the ability of iRED to learn codes from different manufacturers and the ability to map B & O codes through iRED so that a function on the Beo4 can trigger an IR send for another code (non B & O) is the exact functionality I'd need.

I think I'll hold off on the network version and buy the USB version (I have heard there's an applescript which can be used to wake a sleepy USB port with iRED/IRTrans), that should overcome some of the encumberances.

Again, thank you so much, and any more advice you may have after reading my aforementioned paragraph would be welcome as always.

-Sal

• 09-01-2007 5:35 PM In reply to

Re: Thanks JK

correct, the translator seem to be able to handle that. that things wasn't available back when i jumped onto the train. the sleepy usb port is not so much of a problem, there is just sometimes after a longer period of inactivity a 2 or 3 sec delay until it wakes up.

if you want both, b&o and non B&O it seems there is not network solution so I would just give that thing a shot. I might follow suit .....

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)