in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-31-2007 1:52 AM by Daniel Seiler. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-29-2007 8:36 AM

• Goldfrog88
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-07-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 83
    • Gold Member

DAB Radio

Guys, I'm thinking of upgrading my Ouverture to a Beosound 4. which would allow me to access NMUSIC and NRADIO from my BeoPort and introduce me to DAB radio (I hope). I read on a website that AAC+ is coming to DAB radio in a couple of years. Can anyone fill me in on the state of play here. For example, will the B&O DAB radio board ($630 here in Oz) play the coming stations, or am I dreaming for now. We have four radio stations available on DVB-T; would DAB access those too? If I sound like a newbie at this, I am; please forgive me.

Mike 

• 08-29-2007 8:53 AM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

Re: DAB Radio

Goldfrog88:

Guys, I'm thinking of upgrading my Ouverture to a Beosound 4. which would allow me to access NMUSIC and NRADIO from my BeoPort and introduce me to DAB radio (I hope). I read on a website that AAC+ is coming to DAB radio in a couple of years. Can anyone fill me in on the state of play here. For example, will the B&O DAB radio board ($630 here in Oz) play the coming stations, or am I dreaming for now. We have four radio stations available on DVB-T; would DAB access those too? If I sound like a newbie at this, I am; please forgive me.

Mike 

the DAB products that we make now all conform to the new standard and will be able to receive the later DAB .

However, this is B&O!! not well known for placing todays technology in the products and the reliance that most of the customers dont know anyhthing about what they are buying! I would seek a written assurance that the modules presently being fitted are capable for the new standard

• 08-30-2007 7:22 AM In reply to

• Goldfrog88
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-07-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 83
    • Gold Member

Wise words 355f. Thank you for your much appreciated guidance.
  • 08-30-2007 5:43 PM In reply to

For your reassurance, however, bear in mind that B&O have gone for the careful modular route in BeoSound 4 (some countries opt for the DAB module and some don't) so that presumably a later version of DAB-or-whatever-it-ends-up-being-called would be addable/upgradable. Don't expect B&O to be at the forefront of offering it but they'll certainly be happy to do so eventually if a truly international and better protocol emerges.

Nick
  • 08-30-2007 5:55 PM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

NickinBath:

For your reassurance, however, bear in mind that B&O have gone for the careful modular route in BeoSound 4 (some countries opt for the DAB module and some don't) so that presumably a later version of DAB-or-whatever-it-ends-up-being-called would be addable/upgradable. Don't expect B&O to be at the forefront of offering it but they'll certainly be happy to do so eventually if a truly international and better protocol emerges.

well all DAB modules are just that modular- thats how manufacturers buy them.

Do you recall the situation with the beocentre 2??? when it was sold on the basis that it would have DAB and then it could not??

The many situations where customers were told of upgradeability regarding HD on bv4/5 and it was not capable of it??

The early adopters of BV7 and the sound problem that could not be retro resolved.

This is just a few of the items which do not give B&O a good record in respect of this.  BS4 might be modular but dont count on B&O using the latest modules!

Written confirmation from B&O head office is the answer!

• 08-30-2007 6:11 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Considering how unpredictable technology is, I think B&O have done the best job possible. The tuner is a modular part of the BeoSound 4, and there's not much else can be done on top of that to ensure that the as-yet-unknown technology can be integrated.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 08-30-2007 6:47 PM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

Alex:

Considering how unpredictable technology is, I think B&O have done the best job possible. The tuner is a modular part of the BeoSound 4, and there's not much else can be done on top of that to ensure that the as-yet-unknown technology can be integrated.

well the technology concerned is known and if B&O lets just hopem B&O is not using old stock!

• 08-31-2007 1:52 AM In reply to

When i bought my BS4 some months ago, i was also thinking about the DAB module. But as in Switzerland there is quite no DAB, i did not chose it. Here we have excellent digital cable radio, and as i have this cable in my appartement anyway, i am using this, and it's fantastic.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)