in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-24-2007 2:58 AM by Anonymous. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-22-2007 10:37 AM

What BeoLab 3500 Replacement will look like?

With newer B&O speaker design seems that long anodized aluminum tube-like speakers are being slowly phased out.
    While BeoLab 1, 8000, 6000, 3500 are still being sold, new replacement models such as BeoLab 5, BeoLab 9, BeoLab 3 are already new standard.

BeoLab 3500 has been around for 10 years. I would not be surprized if B&O is designing replacement product.
    I wonder what B&O will come up with for linked speakers design to adopt acoustic lens technology and their new rounded shapes? It may be somewhat challenging since speakers would need to be separated yet it has to be one unit.

...unless B&O will stop making linked speakers - I which I hope will not happen.

David the BeoPerson
  • 08-22-2007 2:17 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Re: What BeoLab 3500 Replacement will look like?

The BeoLab 1 hasn't been for sale for quite a while now by the way, production stopped quite a while before the BeoLab 9s came into the range.

I personally think the 3500 is a kind of hidden gem in the B&O range. It's great high up near a ceiling, sounds great and looks fantastic. I'd be disappointed if it disappeared from the range, unless they could replace it with something even more exceptional for the price...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 08-22-2007 4:36 PM In reply to

• mbee
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 1,133
    • Bronze Member

I think B&O will keep the Beolab 3500 in the product portfolio for a little time : it is really discrete, it almost disappear when placed high over a door for instance, and that's really good for a link speaker.

Its sound is totally outdated by Acoustic lens speakers, but as a little and almost invisible speaker, its still good.

Now what could be smart would be to add a beolink wireless module INSIDE it, that would be a clever link solution, as now if you want to use it in a wireless setup, you have to place a beolink wireless 1 box somewhere near it, which ruins the concept.

Last thought, I once imagined a beolab 3500 mkII version with some minor design modifications : take a Beolab 3500 and replace all the front with a (still curved) perforated aluminium front like the beolab 2500 mk2 or the beosound 1, and make the display visible through the holes like the beosound 1 or 3, so it will have an up to date design, more compatible with the current product line, while being more invisible!

• 08-23-2007 11:59 AM In reply to

mbee:

I think B&O will keep the Beolab 3500 in the product portfolio for a little time : it is really discrete, it almost disappear when placed high over a door for instance, and that's really good for a link speaker.

Its sound is totally outdated by Acoustic lens speakers, but as a little and almost invisible speaker, its still good.

Now what could be smart would be to add a beolink wireless module INSIDE it, that would be a clever link solution, as now if you want to use it in a wireless setup, you have to place a beolink wireless 1 box somewhere near it, which ruins the concept.

Last thought, I once imagined a beolab 3500 mkII version with some minor design modifications : take a Beolab 3500 and replace all the front with a (still curved) perforated aluminium front like the beolab 2500 mk2 or the beosound 1, and make the display visible through the holes like the beosound 1 or 3, so it will have an up to date design, more compatible with the current product line, while being more invisible!

Having beolink wireless inside linked speakers is a great idea which makes absolute sense!
    David the BeoPerson
  • 08-23-2007 12:32 PM In reply to

• Max
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Devon
    • Posts 64
    • Founder

I wish my wife shared your views of it's invisibility, we have one in the kitchen above the doorway and she thinks its too dominating! I like the idea of a perforated aluminum front as I suspect it would be easier to keep clean than the cloth in a semi-hostile environment. Integrated wireless makes perfect sense and I would consider it for other rooms in the house as an easier to place option. 

Max.

My B&O is in my Bio.

• 08-23-2007 5:59 PM In reply to

• joynsyde
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-09-2007
    • Midwest, U.S.A.
    • Posts 130
    • Bronze Member

beoperson:

With newer B&O speaker design seems that long anodized aluminum tube-like speakers are being slowly phased out.
    While BeoLab 1, 8000, 6000, 3500 are still being sold, new replacement models such as BeoLab 5, BeoLab 9, BeoLab 3 are already new standard.

BeoLab 3500 has been around for 10 years. I would not be surprized if B&O is designing replacement product.
    I wonder what B&O will come up with for linked speakers design to adopt acoustic lens technology and their new rounded shapes? It may be somewhat challenging since speakers would need to be separated yet it has to be one unit.

...unless B&O will stop making linked speakers - I which I hope will not happen.

Interesting idea.  Maybe you're on to something.  It seems to me, however, that a tube-like design couldn't really go out of style; what's more basic and easy-to-work-with than a straight line?

I share your hope that they will not stop making link speakers. In fact, I wish they would add a few more link speaker options. A link speaker with an acoustic lens makes total sense.  I was devastated when the BeoLab 2000 went out of production though. It was such a nice speaker.

Ditto to the above sentiments: It would be great if they added to their line of products several link speakers with the wireless link capacity built-in.

...my two cents ~AJ
  • 08-23-2007 6:41 PM In reply to

• Calvin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • London
    • Posts 233
    • Bronze Member

Well thanks to eBay and the like, the BL2000 is only 'unobtainable' as every other system, ie not very. I would have thought if they revamp the 3500, one obvious route would be to add the colour customisation to it, or do they offer that already? It's a few years since I thought about getting one.

Certainly a wireless version of the speaker is the obvious way to go though, paticularly if you could link it up wirelessly to your computer setup. Under that scenario, it would maybe just be treated like another computer on your network, then you could just use your remote to select and download/stream tracks through it. Actually, who am I kidding? That's the kind of joined up computer technology that B&O just don't seem to do. Yet.
  • 08-23-2007 7:10 PM In reply to

joynsyde:
    beoperson:

Interesting idea.  Maybe you're on to something.  It seems to me, however, that a tube-like design couldn't really go out of style; what's more basic and easy-to-work-with than a straight line?

I share your hope that they will not stop making link speakers. In fact, I wish they would add a few more link speaker options. A link speaker with an acoustic lens makes total sense.  I was devastated when the BeoLab 2000 went out of production though. It was such a nice speaker.

Ditto to the above sentiments: It would be great if they added to their line of products several link speakers with the wireless link capacity built-in.

Great reply Joy! I love what you wrote about the simplicity of a straight line and I share your sentiments exactly. It is the simplist designs that are not just often the best, but also, ironically, the most difficult to come up with! The simple truths (of life) have been with us for thousands of years and so often we see right past them! Anyway, enough of my philosophy - it's the Greek in me! I have to say that I have always loved the BeoLab 3500 so I do sincerely hope they don't ever phase it out of the range. Update it, sure thing, but don't change its design. Another B&O design classic. Oh how I wish B&O would come up with something REALLY B&O these days!!! I am getting frustrated!

Simon.

"We can rebuild him. We have the technology." 7-40, 7-2, 9000, BS3, BC2, LC2, BC6000, Beo5
  • 08-24-2007 2:58 AM In reply to

Alex:

The BeoLab 1 hasn't been for sale for quite a while now by the way, production stopped quite a while before the BeoLab 9s came into the range.

I personally think the 3500 is a kind of hidden gem in the B&O range. It's great high up near a ceiling, sounds great and looks fantastic. I'd be disappointed if it disappeared from the range, unless they could replace it with something even more exceptional for the price...

BeoLab 3500 really is a hidden gem, and sounds fantastic. Way better than BeoLab 4's. Well i think so anyhow.

I believe there is a BeoLink wireless version of it due as some point.

BL3500 sounds good and looks great. Just placing it on it's beautiful little stand looks increadible. Also the timer function is great for a link room.

I hope they don't remove it from the range.

jazz

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)