in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-26-2009 5:35 PM by Russ. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-21-2007 8:37 PM

• dwl
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-22-2007
    • Maryland - USA
    • Posts 4
    • Bronze Member

AV7000 died

Wow – what a great website…  I’ve owned B&O equipment for 30 years.  I still have my original 4400 Receiver, 4004 Turntable, M150 and S45 Speakers.  I also have a 9500 system…

I have an AV7000 which suddenly died – just turned off and stopped!  I plugged an IR into the “IR” input and the puppy just turned-off.  I can’t figure out what happened.

Is there a reset anywhere on the unit?  I figure out how to get it apart and found a section of fuses – little tiny dudes – never seen fuses like these but I can’t tell if they are blown or not.  

Can anyone help or know what I can do?

Thanks

David

• 08-21-2007 9:12 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Re: AV7000 died

Welcome to BeoWorld David! Big Smile

I'm not as technically gifted as some on here - but i'm sure you will have an answer shortly from someone that knows!

Lee

Smile 

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 08-21-2007 9:35 PM In reply to

• dwl
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-22-2007
    • Maryland - USA
    • Posts 4
    • Bronze Member

Hi Lee,

Thanks...  I can't believe the puppy to just dropped out.  I had it setup with some older Pentas for front speakers and the 6000's in the rear.  It worked fine for years.  We just moved into our new house and I figured I'd set back into the cabinet so I'd just use the IR or RF whatever those little hoogabob things are - I plugged it in and the unit just turned off..?  It didn't pop, skip, hiss, or do anything it just turned off.

I have an Avant 32" in our bedroom.  I've used the IR's on that for our Direct TV satellite - though it won't operate the newer satellite recievers so I guess I'll to find the upgrades - if there are any.  That is a great TV.  The puppy is heavy though... but the picture is fantastic.  I have a separate listening system for my music.  I use the B&O equipment for the TV and movies and general listening around the house.   My music room has a dedicated two-channel system using a VAC Avatar Super - it's a tube amp.  Don't know if you're into the music and tubes.  I've always respected B&O equipment to sound great but with the tube amps it just seems more realistic and thicker or richer sound... though it might just be me or the speakers I'm using.

Thanks for the quick note.  I'll check the boards again tomorrow when I come in the office.  I still have to get my computer setup at the house...

Thanks again

David 

• 08-22-2007 7:31 AM In reply to

David,

I had exactly the same thing happen to mine. About two months ago I was moving things around in a new place, plugged in an IR remote receiver and the box simply died. Since I was moving it to make room for a BeoSystem 1, I haven't done anything with it yet except put it on a shelf. But one of these days I need to get it going again so I hope someone here can find a solution-cause or at least advice.

If you have to get it repaired I would appreciate a post with the "final outcome".

Regards,

Ric

• 08-22-2007 10:38 AM In reply to

• dwl
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-22-2007
    • Maryland - USA
    • Posts 4
    • Bronze Member

Hi Ric,

I might give them a call this afternoon.  It's a bummer because it shuts down everything.  I managed to get it apart "hoping" to see a blown fuse... but I've never seen fuses like these and quite honestly I can't figure why these fuses would blow from an IR plug???  That just seems strange.

If I give them a call and find out, I'll post it here so you'll know what you're in for...

Thanks

Ric

• 08-27-2007 8:28 PM In reply to

• dwl
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-22-2007
    • Maryland - USA
    • Posts 4
    • Bronze Member

Hi Ric,

Thus far the best I've been told is there are 4 fuses within the AV7000.  I figured out where they are pulled them.  I'm not sure if that is the problem - but according to service that should be the problem.  I have to order the fuses T-500ma & T250...  I checked our local Radio Shack - and they don't have them.  It looks like I'll have to order them through a service center.  I'll let you know if that fixes it.

Thanks
    David

• 08-30-2007 6:35 PM In reply to

David,

Thanks for the info. I am on the road for the next few weeks and can't even look at the box until I get back. Please let me know if this is the problem. (I certainly hope it's that easy.)

Ric

• 01-17-2009 7:33 PM In reply to

I don't know if it will help, but mine did the same thing a couple of years ago.  I was heart broken.  I took the cover off and spent some time tinkering around.  I found a tiny fuse that had blown (I think i had applied voltage to the ir jack which is a no no, it supplies it own).  I remember the fuse wasn't hard to replace.  It took me a couple of days to find one at a local electronics shop.
  • 01-19-2009 10:45 AM In reply to

I have an AV7000 unused in my basement.  If you can't fix yours, perhaps I could sell you mine for cheap. It's one of the original models that doesn't control DVD players, but at the least you could use the parts of your old one up upgrade mine.  Let me know if you're interested.

-- Paul 

• 01-19-2009 11:00 AM In reply to

• fz3908
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-19-2009
    • Posts 1
    • Bronze Member

hi im kevin, i have a question, what other parts in the the b-o line are required for this unit to work
  • 01-19-2009 11:44 AM In reply to

Hi Kevin,

The AV7000 is a surround sound processor made for the US market so that one could integrate a B&O sound system with usually third party video equipment. It matches the Beosystem 7000 perfectly as it is the same size and shape as a Beomaster 7000. It has outputs for a passive centre speaker  and would attach via Audio Aux to the Beomaster 7000. It also has a number of connections to go to a TV as well as VCR, DVD etc. You can look at it as the same as a surround processor in a B&O TV without the TV and tuner.

However it is only Dolby Pro-Logic as standard, is only one way so the two way on the 7000 system does not work, and the IR codes for the third party equipment is out of date. If you are in the UK forget it! We got the AV9000 which obviously includes the TV and video recorder! 

• 01-26-2009 5:35 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

Hi David,

First, welcome to BeoWorld!

I have to say that I've never heard of that particular faultt in the AV-7000, but since we have two other folks testifying, I'd say that comprises a trend.  I don't know where you are in Maryland, but the regional service center is in Rockvile, and they do very good work...so if it gets beyond the DIY stage, you will have a good 'plan B'.

Any help I can provide, let me know.

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)