in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-23-2007 7:02 AM by Tom. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (23 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-20-2007 2:47 AM

Beolab 8000 or Beolab 9 - with B7

I am putting a B&O system in my lounge, and going for the next version B7 (full HD) when it come out.

Now the price for Beolab 8000 + Beolab 2 roughly = a pair of Beolab 9 in Australia store.  I have seen the posts here that says Beolab 9 got enough base already that it doesn't really need a subwoofer.  

So what are your recommandations?  should I get Beolab 8000 + Beolab 2 or just go for a pair of Beolab 9?  The speakers will mainly be used for DVD and TV, I don't see myself using it to play music all that much.

Any thoughts?  Thanks :)
  • 08-20-2007 2:53 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Re: Beolab 8000 or Beolab 9 - with B7

By what you said you'll be using them for, i'd reccomend the BL8000's and the BL2, for a beautiful, discreet, with plenty of kick and rumble for movies. But because they cost arond the same as BL9's it is personal preference.

The BL9's are fantastic, but would be more so appreciated when listening to music. Of course if money isn't an issue then BL9's or BL5's would be best!

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 08-20-2007 6:02 AM In reply to

Go fot the BL 9. More thans enough bass and the BL 9 suits the BL 7-4 much better (you will have 3 acoustic lenses). There are some posts about this subject. What I understood is that the sound changes with the BL 8000 (no acoustic lenses) which doesn't sound natural (especially by watching movies etc..).

Do a listening test with your dealer and judge with your own ears. I am sure any dealer will allow you to test the set with both options. Remember, your own ears are the beste judge! 

Good Luck!

Rob

Just because it's mellow it doesn't mean it's less evil....
  • 08-20-2007 6:20 AM In reply to

THe real question is whether to go with the Beo 5 or the Beo 9 
    Is there a big difference to justify the price difference/

PM

• 08-20-2007 7:15 AM In reply to

• beoaus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 445
    • Founder

The Beolab 9's will need a sub with the BV7 if you watch movies. For music you do not need the BL2. BL5's are the only speakers that do both jobs without a BL2.

Have you thought of the BL3's and a BL2?

Drop me a PM with your details and I'll add to the list for the 2nd Aussie Beoworld function.

Cheers, Beoaus.

• 08-20-2007 7:45 AM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

as you say that you will use the speakers for movies, the obvious way to go is BL8000 and BL2, because the BL2 will add more bass to the movies than the BL9 would. The difference between the BL2 and the woofer of BL9 is audible. You will enjoy your movies much more with a BL2.

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 08-20-2007 7:53 AM In reply to

• JoC
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-20-2007
    • Northern Ireland
    • Posts 121
    • Bronze Member

I had the BeoLab 8000's and a BeoLab 2 when I decided to buy the BeoVision 7, I had to go with the BeoLab 7-2 as the TV was on the table stand.

This setup actually sounds quite good, but if you are to go with the BeoLab 7-4, I would suggest you make the 2 front speakers the BeoLab 9's.

In the future I would like to replace my BeoLab 8000's with the BL9's but I dont know how the mix of Alt/Non Alt front speakers would sound.

JoC
  • 08-20-2007 8:23 AM In reply to

Thanks for the reply :) I would definately ask the dealer to give me a demo, preferably at my place if they can arrange that.

As for Beolab 3, I already have a pair hooked up to my iMac, and for the sake of vanity I want a different set .. lol

• 08-20-2007 8:29 AM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

Firstly, its what suits you, so best to have a home demo of both setups. I have been fortunate in having tried all the B&O speakers in various configurations.

The lab 2 sub provides an earthmoving effect for movies. I suppose it depends how much bass you want . I find the bl9 offer enough bass for the vast majority unless you like being shaken to the core.

There are two problems I see with the lab 2 and 8000. When i sold my lab 2 I disovered what stereo was again! the lab2 provides an innacurate 'muddy' and slow bass that also ruins imaging so listening to music with bl2 spoils the expereince unless you turn it RIGHT down.

The lab 8000 are using 4in drivers of rather poor quality mated to an amp that is a bit prehistoric now-  the design is almost 18 years old and the only mod in that time has been to improve the circuit to stop the poorly matched drivers burning out! but they sound warm and acceptable but not as good as one would like for the money. They need refreshing- but B&O dont bother as they still sell as they are

I think the 9s provide the best balance, more up do date and other than the BL5 its B&O first serious attempt at a good quality all round speaker without lmitation of poor acoustic material and small drive units.

Itsinteresting that the BL9 are getting very good reviews in almost every sector of the press, difficult to find such priase of the BL8000 unless on this site!!

• 08-20-2007 11:07 AM In reply to

This is interesting thread:
    I have Lab 8000 + Lab 2 setup and I think of conversion to Lab 9.
    I use it primarily for listening music. I have not yet listened to Lab 9 but it's good to know that these setups are comparable.

The only concern I have is looks of BL9. I'll be honest looks are very important to me and I can't easily let go of anodized aluminum...

I also like the fact that Lab 8000 are much taller than Lab 9.
    David the BeoPerson
  • 08-20-2007 11:11 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I would personally go with the 9s. They kick out plenty of low end, and you can always add a sub afterwards if you want, but I don't think you'll ever feel the need to do this...

The 2 would kick out more low end, but it won't be anywhere near as well controlled and detailed as the bass from the 9s, and the 9s will go louder in the high-end than the 8000s.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 08-20-2007 11:50 AM In reply to

I would strongly recommend the BL9 in this case.  There is a LOT of good engineering in it and it offers superb and blanced performance, if not the power and room correction of the BL5.  I feel it is a significant step forward from the BL8000.  

I hope this helps.  
    Dave Sausalito Audio LLC
  • 08-20-2007 1:27 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Not only that, but when using BeoLab 9s, you can also use a 7-4 centre channel without any resultant 'lumps' in the sound-stage, and the 7-4 is ultimately, far far better as a centre channel than the 7-1 or 7-2.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 08-20-2007 1:35 PM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

Alex:

Not only that, but when using BeoLab 9s, you can also use a 7-4 centre channel without any resultant 'lumps' in the sound-stage, and the 7-4 is ultimately, far far better as a centre channel than the 7-1 or 7-2.

Each to their own of course! but on anotehr thread we are duscussing the merits of 7.1 v 7.4 and in most cases we cant tell the difference.

In fact i tried a blind listening with 5 collegues and there wasa mild prefernce in favour of bl7.1. If anything we found lumps when the 7.4 was used.

Interestlingly ,if you go into the larger B&O stores in london including the knightsbridge B&O owned one, they demonstrate the plamsas with 7.1

• 08-20-2007 1:48 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

tom:
    as you say that you will use the speakers for movies, the obvious way to go is BL8000 and BL2, because the BL2 will add more bass to the movies than the BL9 would. The difference between the BL2 and the woofer of BL9 is audible. You will enjoy your movies much more with a BL2.

when I was writing this post earier today, I did not think about the center speaker, but if you plan to get the BL7.4, I would recommand you to add a BL9

• 08-20-2007 4:38 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

355f:
    Alex:

Each to their own of course! but on anotehr thread we are duscussing the merits of 7.1 v 7.4 and in most cases we cant tell the difference.

In fact i tried a blind listening with 5 collegues and there wasa mild prefernce in favour of bl7.1. If anything we found lumps when the 7.4 was used.

Interestlingly ,if you go into the larger B&O stores in london including the knightsbridge B&O owned one, they demonstrate the plamsas with 7.1

I think you'll find that's more because of the appearance of the 7.1 when used under a plasma (which is significantly better than when a 7.4 is used).

With the 7.1 or 7.2, try using it in mono, and then move from left to right. You'll hear the effects of comb filtering as your position changes. I agree that in a good room, with the listening position being where it would ideally be, the 7.1 and 7.2 will do a fantastic job. However, once you begin to move around, the sound you hear changes as the sound from the left hand side of the speaker crosses over that from the right and results in certain frequencies being filtered out.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 08-20-2007 11:06 PM In reply to

This is very helpful, in conclusion, BL9 it is !

• 08-22-2007 8:31 AM In reply to

• beobeo
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 953
    • Founder

You will not regret it. I have a set up with BL9s and BL3s using flat equalization and have never felt the need of extra bass. as per the design, I had the same doubts before I got them at home, they are really awsome (a fan of the BL8000 is telling you this).

BL5 are in another league but not every house/neighborhood will be ready for them. I would not consider BL9+BL2, the improvement in low end is marginal. I know this because originally I was planning to keep my old BL6000 as rears, use BL9 as fronts + BL2 and at the end I traded in the BL6000, got BL3 as rears and of course got the BL9s.

Good luck!

Gustavo

• 08-22-2007 8:50 AM In reply to

• JoC
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-20-2007
    • Northern Ireland
    • Posts 121
    • Bronze Member

I currently have the BL8s & a BL2 with the BV7, if I was to change these for the BL9s:

1. Should I then think about getting rid of the BL2.

2. The BV7 has the BL7-2 (no BL7-4 because it's on a table stand), so would the sound be OK, with a mix of ALT and Non ALT speakers.

JoC

• 08-22-2007 9:17 AM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

JoC, there is no problem in mixin ALT and non ALT speakers, especially if the center in non-ALT and the left and right channel will be ALT. If it was the other way round, you could argue that the center channel would be to clear compared to the other channels, but still...

I spoke to my dealer about that subject, and he told me that B&O had never given any advice about this subject and that he would see no problem, as I do, allthough I can understand that a full ALT setup is "better" than a mixed one.

Concerning your BL2, I would say that you should keep it if there is no budget problem. If there is one, don't mind getting rid of the BL2, as the BL9 is very powerfull at the low end. Go to your dealer's and have a try!

• 08-22-2007 9:42 AM In reply to

• beobeo
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 953
    • Founder

JoC:

I currently have the BL8s & a BL2 with the BV7, if I was to change these for the BL9s:

1. Should I then think about getting rid of the BL2.

2. The BV7 has the BL7-2 (no BL7-4 because it's on a table stand), so would the sound be OK, with a mix of ALT and Non ALT speakers.

JoC

It's hard to recommend anybody to get rid of B&O stuff as these things give us so much joy. I would only tell you what I would do. Rather than keeping the BL2, I would sell it and consider getting some rear speakers (if you don't have them yet). I would suggest you get some BL4000, although not ALT speakers, they are very good as rears. BL3 are a better choice but buying BL9's and BL3s are a tough challenge to any pocket.

Whatever you do you will be alright with your 9's.

Gustavo

• 08-23-2007 12:19 AM In reply to

I had some time off work today so I drop into B&O store and asked for a demo.  suffice to say I was very impressed with just the pair of BL9, sound is clean and bass is just right.

I am also sure that I will not be adding BL2 with the BL9s as I feel there is no need for it.

Really appreciate all the responses in this friendly forum :)

Now only if B&O can hurry up and release the new BV7 ......

• 08-23-2007 7:02 AM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

aweicc:

Now only if B&O can hurry up and release the new BV7 ......

I think the word hurry does not exist in danish Embarrassed, at least not in Struer. I think this will be a hard experience for you patience!

Page 1 of 1 (23 items)