in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-22-2007 8:46 PM by jackafrica. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-19-2007 9:33 AM

Beogram TX-2 record deck assistance needed....

The TX-2 turntable includes the MMC5 cartridge and is in good shape with the exception of the right channel output. It is muted at least 12 db compared to the left channel during play EXCEPT for the instant before the stylus is lifted from the record by the turn or lift keys. At the instant the tonearm begins to lift the right channel loudness increases to equal the left. This isn't a result of  tracking force or cartridge compliance, because the output does not increase if the arm is lifted from the record by hand or if the tracking force is adjusted to near zero tracking. The stylus and cantilever appear to be fine and tracking angle is near 20 degrees at 1.25 grams force. The muting function works perfectly. I have no electronic test equipment to trace this down. Has anyone experience this problem before who can point out what to look for?

Thanks, Jim.

• 08-19-2007 9:50 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Re: Beogram TX-2 record deck assistance needed....

It could be the cartridge - do you have another one, or can you borrow a known good one to test on your deck?

The pins sometimes lose internal contact with the coils in the cartridge body. Unfortunately there isn't a lot you can do if this is the case.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 08-19-2007 2:47 PM In reply to

I have had this problem and it turned out to be the mute switch in the deck.

Regards Graham

• 08-20-2007 12:54 PM In reply to

Thanks fellas, after several hours of fiddling with it I think I can agree it may be the mute switch, at least I hope so. Finding another working MMC cartridge isn't easy or cheap. I do have a spare RX deck I can try my MMC5 in. If that works I'll see if the RX has the same mute switch inside. Thanks again!

Jim

• 08-20-2007 5:24 PM In reply to

You could try temporarily wiring it out of the circuit (bypass) and see what happens.

Regards Graham

• 12-22-2007 8:46 PM In reply to

• jackafrica
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-08-2007
    • Tasmania, Australia
    • Posts 36
    • Silver Member

Seems as though this may be a common problem, my 5005 is having the same problem ( except it is the left channel that's low ). 

Are parts for these older machines still supported by B & O, or have they decided their obsolescence by no longer supplying parts ? 

I'm a tad isolated living in Tasmania, Australia ( no jokes you mainlanders ! ) so any assistance in locating one of these switches would be appreciated.

i'd appreciate knowing which wire to put where when bypassing the switch. 

Thanks in advance and all the best for the Festive Season. 

cheers richard
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)