in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-20-2007 2:12 PM by Craig. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-17-2007 3:11 PM

• CraigB
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 05-19-2007
    • Cannock, W. Mids
    • Posts 76
    • Bronze Member

B&O Chester Visit

Since Rowney's of Stafford closed it's doors I've been looking for an alternative store to visit with my grandad, he's a fellow enthusiast and the guy responsible for my love of all things B&O and the state of my bank balance accoding to SWMBO  Big Smile

There are a couple of prerequisites before dealing with an B&O store:

A) I must be able to drop him outside the store as he can't walk far

B) he must like the people working there

C) Can't have "The Mailbox" in the name

looking at the map on B&O's site, We came up with Nantwich. I've had this week off work so Wednesday I pick the old fellow up and off we go, We drove around nantwich twice and couldn't find the store so I decided to follow the signs to Chester and see if we could find that store instead, a quick call to the missus so she could get the address off  B&O's website and off we go in search of Hoole Road.

We drove straight to it Smile Parked virtually outside the door and walked into a very nicely appointed B&O store

Now please bare in mind that we hadn't really planned this trip and as I had not been at work for 6 days I'm sporting a rather messy attempt at a beard, I'm wearing a t-shirt that I use for decorating in and a pair of 3 year old trainers. Not the best first impression I've given off and I was fully expecting folks to throw me loose change as they walked by.

Despite all this we were welcomed by Tony and left to drool for a few moment before he offered us a brew, the next 3 hours! were a delight

We demoed just about every piece of equipment in the store at our leisure and recieved some welcome advice and opinions from Tony in the process, please bare in mind my comments above about looking like a tramp.

The main thing for me was what this visit provided as an insight into new B&O (I love the 80's and early 90's B&O creations)

All the times we visited Rowneys they never had a set of BeoLab 5's hooked up which disappointed me, no such problems at Chester, Tony pulled a couple of chairs up for us and stood there loading discs into a Beocentre 2 for us Big Smile

Corrine Bailey Rae's "Like a Star" was the first track and that gave me goose bumps, Tonality and Clarity were sublime, unbelievable precision and every instrument incredibly defined, In that 3 minutes I had decided to Swap my car for a set of speakers, right up until my grandad reminded me that we were 80 miles from home and the BeoLab 5's are far to heavy to carry on the train Sad

Next up was The killers "Read my mind" These speakers have no problem conveying sound whatever the pace and more importantly the bass never sounds over blown or slow, something that concerned me when a 15" sub woofer is in action.

To say it was mind blowing would be an under statement, faithful reproduction is the Buzz word here and something that a majority of audio manufacturers disregard in order to make their new speaker sound more powerful and authoritative than the old model

we listened to other tracks as well but it was only these 2 that I knew well enough to form an opinion

We next listened to the BeoLab 9's and I don't think it's fair to give an account on them after listening to the 5's so intently

We then demoed the Beovision 9, Beosound 4, Beosound 3 (I'm definately buying one now), Beovision 8 and just about everything else in the store but it was the Lab 5's that made the biggest impact, an unforgettable one at that.

But after all my endless mutterings all I wanted to say (before you all fall asleep) is that this visit was more than a mere shop visit it was an experience and something that I believe only B&O can deliver

So massive thanks to Tony at B&O Chester for his hospitality during our visit and I will without a doubt be making the trip again soon..............................................armed with a most of my cd collection and a spare few hours Big Smile

• 08-17-2007 3:20 PM In reply to

• CraigB
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 05-19-2007
    • Cannock, W. Mids
    • Posts 76
    • Bronze Member

Re: B&O Chester Visit

Another thing, Please check my for sale thread as we are trying to accumulate some funds for the next visit

BeoSound 4 and BeoLab 4000's for my Grandad

BeoSound 3 for me

• 08-17-2007 3:22 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

I've been to that very store myself, and also managed to fluke a space about 72 inches from the front door!! Laughing

I'ts actually a bit of a 'tardis' store that you think will be tiny, but actually has heaps of kit on display.  Lovely demo room at the rear, and the store has a very warm, welcoming feel to it.  It's not actually in a high street as such, which makes it feel even more 'personal'.

Good staff too, and it's a very refreshing change to see that someone in something less than a designer suit has been treated like a human being. Well done to Chester.

Lee
    Big Smile

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 08-17-2007 3:23 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Craig, What a brilliant post!Yes -  thumbs up
    Thank you so much for sharing your visit with us. I almost felt I was with you. Next time you should take a digital camera with you and turn it into a photo-journal! (I do it all the timeWink)
    I had a similar reception at Preston where I visited in my gardening clothes with a massive pluke on my cheek. They still welcomed me with open arms, even gave me a hardback copy of the most recent catalogue!

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 08-17-2007 4:04 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

If only all stores were like this - not just B&O.

I remember my 1st foray into Bang & Olufsen in 1989 when I walked into the (then) Leeds store in the City centre wearing my British Rail uniform and was totallly ignored by the staff. I had to drag one of the sales staff away from his obviously more important business into demoing a Beocenter 9500 which I had my heart set on - which he grudgingly did with an air of total indifference and off handedness giving curt and laboured answers to my questions.

I returned the next week with the asking price in cash in my pocket and showed him what he could have had if he'd treated my half as decently as the Harrogate branch which I had visited the day after (where I promptly took my business) - they threw in a pair of RL45.2's which I wasn't expecting.

That Leeds store is now, not surprisingly, closed and thankfully my local dealer is now the fabulous store in Roundhay where the staff are very friendly and informed.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 08-17-2007 4:59 PM In reply to

• CraigB
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 05-19-2007
    • Cannock, W. Mids
    • Posts 76
    • Bronze Member

Your quite right Lee the store is very Tardis-esque and it's a real bonus not being in a busy shopping center, although his neighbours may have been a little upset when we had the Lab 5's running Big Smile

I would never wear a top hat and tails just to visit a B&O store but the way I looked I'm supprised Tony didn't call the police or offer me the cash out of the till as soon as I entered the room, I looked like an extra from "Shameless" Smile

Andy - I will definately take my digi-cam next time, Like I said this wasn't really planned, we just jumped in the car a went on a road trip

The best thing for me was we used his facilities for 3 hours, drank the coffee and enjoyed ourselves, in return all I bought was a power link cable for £20. We did however notice a bank not 4 doors away on the way out so we could have popped in an brought something else but hey that will be another trip

• 08-17-2007 5:11 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

It wouldn't matter if you had spent nothing.  The whole point is that you were treated in the way that any potential buyer of a luxury brand should be treated.  These days, multi-millionaires wear jeans and a t-shirt and forget to shave.  Queen Victoria is actually dead, and a suit doesn't mean you're rich.

Honestly, i take my hat off to Chester store for the way they treated you.  Smile

In defence of the very busy high street stores though, sometimes they physically don't have time to spend 3 hours with a customer - and apart from having 20 fully trained staff per store, they are stuck between a rock and a hard place.  The serious isue though is the quality of their staff.  I would rather have a member of staff respectfully tell me they honestly haven't got the time to devote their full attention to my needs than look at 4 people in a row and choose the best dressed to talk to and brush off the rest.

As i said though, Chester is a charming store with some really knowledgable and enthusiastic staff, and i'm glad you had such a positive experience.  It's really quitre special when you can be treated like that, and i can confidently assume that when you do buy some serious kit - it will be from that store.

Lee

• 08-17-2007 5:35 PM In reply to

When i look through the dealers and see there are so many around the country i get realy annoyed that there isnt ONE official dealership in Plymouth. A city of this size should have at least one.

In the summer when there is no football on a Saturday, it would be so great to go in town with the missis and visit a B&O shop while SWMBO goes in NEXT, GAP, OASIS, ZARA, H&M ect ect......

Thank god the football season has started again.

BTW nice to hear your Chester experience. Smile

Never Mind The Ball-Cocks www.markmossplumbing.co.uk

A labourer uses his hands
    A tradesman uses his hands and his head
    A craftsman uses his hands, his head and his heart

• 08-17-2007 5:45 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Same old story for seaside towns unfortunately. 

Unless it's a very affluent town you have to consider that half your clientele are molluscs and other forms of aquatic life (think of a circle round a coastal town) - so many of the seaside resorts don't have a dealer.

Lee 

• 08-17-2007 5:59 PM In reply to

9 LEE:

Unless it's a very affluent town you have to consider that half your clientele are molluscs and other forms of aquatic life (think of a circle round a coastal town) - so many of the seaside resorts don't have a dealer.

Lee 

Plymouth is actually the major city of the Westcountry with alot of wealth around the waterfront, with very expensive apartments. Alot of major construction with big name companies are investing in the city and i believe its only a matter of time before we see a B&O dealership in the city. Believe me, i think it would do well. If i had the knowledge and the money i would start one myself.

• 08-17-2007 6:12 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Love the 'modest' signature by the way...

LaughingLaughingLaughing

• 08-17-2007 6:26 PM In reply to

9 LEE:
    Love the 'modest' signature by the way...

LaughingLaughingLaughing

I only play to win, If i didnt win i probably would have sulked all week, but be more determined next time. Im going to bask in the glory for a few days. Gotta say, my mother-in-law is staying tonight and shes well impressed. Big Smile

• 08-17-2007 6:30 PM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

ArgyleMoss:
    9 LEE:

Lee 

Plymouth is actually the major city of the Westcountry with alot of wealth around the waterfront, with very expensive apartments. Alot of major construction with big name companies are investing in the city and i believe its only a matter of time before we see a B&O dealership in the city. Believe me, i think it would do well. If i had the knowledge and the money i would start one myself.

mmmm not so sure! I would think running an average B&O store now is pretty much a road to bankruptcy!  all the dealers that have closed so far are for a reason! and the new B&O ideals on pricing means that outisde of the major cities dealers will close for sure.

• 08-18-2007 2:29 AM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

Medogsfat:

That Leeds store is now, not surprisingly, closed 

A new Leeds City Centre store will be opening very soon. 

• 08-18-2007 8:40 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Britops:
    Medogsfat:

That Leeds store is now, not surprisingly, closed 

A new Leeds City Centre store will be opening very soon. 

So I'm told,

apparently it is gonna be a biggie. I'll be one of the 1st through the door when it does and give my impressions on here of courseSmile

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 08-18-2007 10:45 AM In reply to

• BeoLad
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-23-2007
    • West Midlands
    • Posts 37
    • Bronze Member

I live just outside stafford and have been to the brand new store in Derby as its just up the A 38 so easy to get to , give them a look its the largest single story store in the UK.

The Home cinema room is fantastic ( I will be moving in shortly ! ) It has a BeoVision 4-65, BeoLab 5's , BeoLab 7-4 , x4 BeoLab 3's on the rear, Beosound 9000 and a BeoCenter 2, and the largest sofa I have ever seen!!!!!!  The guys there are great and really helpful they do not mind you popping in for a general look round, When I was there a group of lads walked through the door and the salesman invited them to look round and gave them the B&O experience, they were gob smacked and walked out talking about what they had just seen.

They said I can pop back when ever I want to ask for help or advise or just to see whats new. 

This is what Bang & Olufsen is all about you do not get this from the Sony Cente, so give this store a try and take a load of cd's and they will supply the coffee ( thats also nice too )

Speak to Anthony there he is really helpful and had loads of time for me

• 08-18-2007 2:02 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Sounds as though you had a very enjoyable trip. You should also take a trip to Solihull. Not too far for you travel. Also what is wrong with the store in the Mailbox?

CraigSmile 

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 08-19-2007 5:32 PM In reply to

• CraigB
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 05-19-2007
    • Cannock, W. Mids
    • Posts 76
    • Bronze Member

Craig:

Sounds as though you had a very enjoyable trip. You should also take a trip to Solihull. Not too far for you travel. Also what is wrong with the store in the Mailbox?

CraigSmile

Craig, Isn't the Solihull store in a pedestrian only area?
  • 08-20-2007 2:12 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Yes it is, but there is access if you know how.Wink One reason I usually go by Motorbike. Get to park closer, also you cannot strap a BV9 to the back of a Bike.LaughingLaughingLaughingKeeps SHMBO happy.Stick out tongue

CraigSmile 

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)