in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-18-2007 10:30 AM by Beobird. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-17-2007 10:40 AM

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

SED display

To those of you who felt they should wait for sed!!!

It was meant to be the display technology to beat them all, but SED is now dead in the water. Proponents Toshiba and Canon have conceded to the inevitable and issued a statement confirming that SED will not become a commercial proposition anytime soon. Canon says that it is now unable to produce SED panels “to the original schedule” and Toshiba has concluded that rapid price erosion in the flat-panel market makes SED production uneconomic: “The prices of flat panels are declining more rapidly than expected,” it declared in a statement.
    Despite being critically lauded, SED has been beset with problems, and most recently was dealt a body blow in its legal wrangle with Nano Technology, which forced Toshiba to walk away from its partnership with Canon.
    The news will not come as a surprise to Philips’ head of Product Marketing and Strategy for flat TV, Danny Tack. Back in June 2006, he predicted the system’s demise: “Too many PDP factories have been built, too much money has been invested. And even more has been invested in LCD,” he said. “Put the same content on plasma, LCD and SED next to each other, and I would think SED will give the best performance. It’s a great technology, but there have been many good technologies that have never survived.”

• 08-17-2007 4:52 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Re: SED display

Too true in the last sentence !!!

It's often a case of the 'emperors new clothes' with technology.  I may ruffle a few feathers here, but personally i think LCD is inferior to Plasma, and cannot even come near CRT - but LCD yields larger profits.

Profits are what business is about, and companies will of course pursue these as a matter of course.

Lee

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 08-17-2007 5:07 PM In reply to

• CraigB
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 05-19-2007
    • Cannock, W. Mids
    • Posts 76
    • Bronze Member

It's a shame they can't continue the development of SED

I'm with Lee here though, Nothing has inspired me to spend my hard earned because I feel I would be down grading if I swap my Avant, I will have an Avant RF or a BV3 next 

• 08-17-2007 6:02 PM In reply to

• Bulgarien
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Denmark, Vest Sjaeland
    • Posts 201
    • Bronze Member

SED are "dead" today, but it will be a new and much, much better standard in 5-10 years or  when they have sold enought LDC
  • 08-17-2007 6:10 PM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

Bulgarien:
    SED are "dead" today, but it will be a new and much, much better standard in 5-10 years or  when they have sold enought LDC

yes but the issue is that the pricing of present technology is dropping so fast that new technolgies will not survive and companies will not be able to commit to expenditure as they will neevr recoup the cost.

• 08-18-2007 2:53 AM In reply to

But where is the content that was promised for all these new super thin technologies?

The resolutions and the cable standards keep getting better and better - no doubt to take more money off us. but what do we get once we have a full HD with HDMI 2.5? - 'Ready Stead Go' and the millionth repeat of something that was good 20 years ago!

Con.

Still. Lets hope that Blu-Ray and HD-DVD follow suit with SED and that these manufacturers start to think of us customers more carefully with their existing collection of CDs and DVD aquired throughout the years at overrated and over-inflated prices. Where is the backward compatability?

10% 

• 08-18-2007 3:18 AM In reply to

Unfortunately, the public's ability to be oblivious of picture quality is advancing LCD at the expense of the superior plasma technology. Even Pioneer is starting to wonder whether people really care about picture quality. (Right now they can't make enough of their Kuro screens, and that's a good thing. But the prices of flatscreen LCD are forcing them to cut the price of the Plasma screens, as well as cut back on planned production capacity.)

An acquaintance of mine has produced 20 feature films. You couldn't push an LCD screen on him with a shotgun. He's got a B&O CRT, "because that's the best thing out there." He's eyeing plasma, though.

As to backward compatibilty - there are good scalers that will take DVDs up towards the HD levels (though not matching them, of course.)

And as to SED. Nano Technology got greedy, as they too thought SED would be the next big thing. Canon and Toshiba had the production muscle. By pulling the plug, they are telling Nano to say goodbye to all that money. Which means Nano are sweating now, and might come back with a better offer. (They had a proprietary patent.)

But with the drop in flatscreen prices, I think the Philips director quoted above was right - it won't be feasible to launch a new platform.

• 08-18-2007 10:09 AM In reply to

• Beobird
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 506
    • Gold Member

I thought Toshiba or Mitsubishi has dropped the SED technology because they are busy with the better laser-tv technology.

http://www.arasor.net/pdfs/NYT%20-%20Laser%20TV%20June%202007.pdf 

We Can't Get Enough B&O Stuff...

• 08-18-2007 10:15 AM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

Beobird:

I thought Toshiba or Mitsubishi has dropped the SED technology because they are busy with the better laser-tv technology.

http://www.arasor.net/pdfs/NYT%20-%20Laser%20TV%20June%202007.pdf 

No they dropped it because they could not make it at a price that made it a sensible option compared to lcd and plasma as the article states.

Laser is having the same problems and if the prices continue to drop could be another disaster area

• 08-18-2007 10:30 AM In reply to

• Beobird
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 506
    • Gold Member

but laser has to be 50% cheaper then plasma or lcd ?

We Can't Get Enough B&O Stuff...

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)