in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-25-2007 10:50 AM by Jandyt. 32 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (33 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-17-2007 5:03 AM

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Yes -  thumbs up [Y] NEVER POSTED BEFORE?

As a seasoned rambling poster on here, i sometimes forget what it was like for me when i first joined BeoWorld - and was very reluctant to post as i thought my level of knowledge was far too inferior to be posting comments on such a site full of brainy BeoBoffins.  I must have written about half a dozen posts, then cancelled them for fear of writing anything stupid and looking silly in front of the world.

Once i'd got a couple under my belt, i realised that they were all just a normal bunch of people that actually wanted to help people like myself that were 'learning the ropes' - and that there was no such thing as a 'silly question' !!

So, if you're reading this, and have never posted before - here's what i'd like you to do..

1) Tell us your first name, and where you are from.

2) Say what B&O you have (doesn't even matter if you have a pair of A8's, or even don't have any - just tell us what's on your wish list!)

3) Tell us all what you like and dislike about BeoWorld, how you found us, and what keeps you coming back!

We all really look forward to meeting you, so don't be shy - tell us about yourself!

Lee

Big Smile

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 08-17-2007 11:01 AM In reply to

Re: NEVER POSTED BEFORE?

What about having a noob sub forum? would also save the post from disappearing in the general forum??

• 08-17-2007 12:46 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

I don't really see the point of a Newbie Forum myself, as if it was for newbies only nothing would get answered.  It would be a case of experienced members posting all the answers - which we can do on the General Forum anyway!

However, i may be missing something - and i'm open to suggestions!

Back to the original posting though, would anyone like to say hello?!

Lee

Big Smile

• 08-17-2007 1:34 PM In reply to

Great idea!

So here i go:

1.) My name is Daniel, i am from Basel in Switzerland (This is in the northwest, just at the border to germany and france)

2.) I have currently a BeoSound 4, 2 BeoLab4, a Beo4 (that i won from the BeoWorld prize draw), i also have a BeoCom4 and a Form2 as well as a pair of A8 Headphones. Oh well, what is on my wishlist? Quite all that B&O currently offers  

3.) I actually found BeoWorld quite some time ago, when i was looking for B&O manuals, at that time i was looking for one for the BeoLink7000 that i had then. So i found this page (the old version) and already liked it. Now it's even better, you get tons of information here, technical, historical just interessting stuff etc. Very nice, always when i look around, i find something new. The good and freindly forum keeps me coming back, and also my interesst in B&O news and rumors. 

• 08-17-2007 3:40 PM In reply to

How hard can this be? I do have a few posts under my belt, but not very many so...

1) Hello, my name is Steve and I'm from London

2) Oh dear, but I do like the old stuff when it's in good condition... and this lot is:
    Beomaster 1000 white keys version, DIY ribbon antenna, Beogram early round motor version, Beovox 1000's
    Beomaster 1000 black keys version, "rabbit ears" FM antenna, Beogram 1000 late 1001-type version, Beovox 1200's
    Beomaster 2000 1970's version, "black stick" AM antenna & "rabbit ears" FM antenna, Beogram 1202, Beocord 2200, Beovox45-2's & stands
    Beocenter 8500, Beogram 3300, AM Antenna 10 & "rabbit ears" FM antenna, Beovox 60.2's (& CX50's, RL45's, 2 sets RL35's around the flat)
    Some spare bits...

3) I like being able to get help when something breaks down or the latest rescue project hits a problem. I also like the reassurance that I'm not uniquely mad - some people are way worse than me! And the genuinely friendly response around here is quite wonderful. I find the manuals section is quite invaluable.

• 08-17-2007 3:52 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Hi. My name is Andy and I'm from Clitheroe in Lancashire, UK.

The reason I haven't posted very much is because I'm a shy, retiring sort of person.

I am also afraid of making a fool of myself, they say a fool is a wise man until he opens his mouth!

Anyway, I will try and post more from now on.

Andy.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 08-18-2007 5:57 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

jandyt:

Hi. My name is Andy and I'm from Clitheroe in Lancashire, UK.

The reason I haven't posted very much is because I'm a shy, retiring sort of person.

I am also afraid of making a fool of myself, they say a fool is a wise man until he opens his mouth!

Andy.

Oh golly!

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 08-19-2007 7:57 AM In reply to

• Wings
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Hong Kong
    • Posts 341
    • Founder

Hello.

My name is Wings and I am a Beoholic ... oh, sorry, wrong forum for that. 

My purpose in life is to:

1.  ask stupid questions on this site, and/or

2.  harass, harangue and otherwise poke fun at me mate, Andy T.  (See below)  Big Smile  Laughing

jandyt:

Hi. My name is Andy ...

Andy.

Andy:  PULLLLEASE!!!  Spare us.  Wink

Edit:  Forgot to say that my first pieces of B&O were acquired while I was studying in London.  I bought the Beogram 4002 and the Beomaster 2400-2 from Peter Jones Dept. Store.  I had an enjoyable time trying to get both pieces through Heathrow security as carry on luggage.  The next year, I was back in London so this time I bought some S-80-2 speakers from John Lewis Dept Store.  This time, I missed my flight home this time as I couldn't get the speakers into the departures lounge although I managed to check-in with them!  These pieces are still with me in the US [B&O replaced the BM2400-2 with a BM 3000 due to a fault with the volume control].  In Hong Kong I have a Beosystem 7000 with Beolab 4500 and a Beocenter 2500 with Beolab 4000.  I also have 2 pairs of Beolab 6000 and another pair of Beolab 4000 which I picked up and am now trying to sell.

• 08-19-2007 10:08 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Well, i was rather hoping to have some people post on this thread that said "1" - meaning this was their 1st post.

Come on you lot - don't be shy - i'm not asking for algorithms or paragraphs of award winning poetry - just a simple bit about yourselves!

Next poster that has the number 1 by their name meaning it's their 1st post gets a prize.

How's that?

Lee 

• 08-19-2007 10:48 AM In reply to

Cant quite manage '1' but I like a competition so how does my '4' post compare

Any one beat that

I'm new to B&O having always having bought high end hifi previosuly (loads of wires etc and constant upgrades) 

Marching On Together
  • 08-19-2007 11:13 AM In reply to

• obe
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Posts 29
    • Bronze Member

guess i can beat that.

but to be honest i've had some posts on the old forum.

some words about me: my name is ole and i'm living in munich, germany. there's now some nice gear around me like the bs2 (the starter drug back in 2002), a bs3200 with bl6000 and a bc1.

i've met beoworld first in 2004. that fact that i don't 'have many posts under my belt' does not mean that i'm no regular reader...

o

ps: my shift key Works but i'm too lazy using it Big Smile 

• 08-19-2007 11:50 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Thank you obe !!!!

Please PM me your full name and address and i'll get your prize off to you.

PS - What do you like about BeoWorld ?

Lee 

• 08-19-2007 12:31 PM In reply to

• obe
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Posts 29
    • Bronze Member

dear lee,

you've a pm!

now that's really funny. having been a silent reader for the longest time and now thisSmile thank you!

for me the most important reason for coming back to beoworld: i really appreciate the members being critically to the b&o products. there are too many forums around with senseless advocacy postings (like windows <--> linux <--> apple <--> ... or bmw <--> mercedes <--> porsche <--> ... (hm smells like a certain kind of localism :-)

i like people saying their opinion and even b&o is not always fortunate with their offers.

btw: replying is much easier and more comfortable than on the old forum! now that's really a killer argument, isn't (though it wasn't that hard on the old forum)

• 08-19-2007 2:08 PM In reply to

Well, can't beat obe but I can come close.

1. I am Ric and live in Alberta, Canada. But for the past several years I have been working in Toronto (about 2000 miles away from home) so I now have condos in both places. (All filled with B&O!)

2. Because of the two places I have... Beosystem 4500, Beocenter 9300, Penta II's, Penta III's, Lab 5000's Vox 5000's Lab 6000's, Beosound 2000, 7 or 8 beocom phones (mostly beocom 1 and 2's) link stuff etc. etc. (I think this stuff is somewhat habit forming...) (I know I have forgotten things in this list.)

3. I originally found Beoworld while trying to get manuals, information etc to repair an old pair of speakers. Unfortunately(?)  I think I can blame the site for getting hooked.

I am currently struggling with getting a Beosystem 1 hooked up and operating properly. Bought it almost a year ago off ebay... then sent it in for repair and got it back about a month ago. But with travel etc I just got around to trying to hook it up yesterday. No... haven't made it work yet, but that's for another thread. (Which, of course, is the kind of thing that keeps me coming back over and over.  

So thank you to everyone who makes this whole place work. I will certainly try to contribute when (or if) I have anything to say.

Ric

• 08-19-2007 4:50 PM In reply to

• BeoNut1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-19-2007
    • Mobile, AL (USA)
    • Posts 226
    • Bronze Member

Dear Gang,

My member name on the old website was Mark D.  I live in Mobile, Alabama (USA) and I literally joined the new website today, but I've been following the new site for some time.  I caught the B&O disease several years ago, and when I discovered the old website about 4 or 5 years back, it didn't help tone down my afflication.

Unfortunately, my biggest contribution to the old website was posting a bunch of (probably) mundane questions and constantly harping on what I continue to see as the dire need for B&O to incorporate themselves more in to the Apple rhelm of things - specifically, I'd like B&O to forgo their software development and latch on to Apple's software (i.e. iTunes) as I see iTunes gradually becoming the defacto standard (even in the Windows' world) for audio and visual media playback, and because I see B&O sharing many attributes with Apple in terms of their respective corporate philosophies (quality, ease of use, user interface, etc.).

I started with B&O phones (a BeoCom 6000 set) several years ago and have gradually moved up.  I currently have two sets of BL3s (still in boxes awaiting something to drive them), a pair of BL4s (attached to one of my Apples), two BS1s, two pairs of A8s, a couple of BeoCom 2s, several BeoCom 1s, a BeoTalk 1200, a refurbished (but now broken) MX 5500 TV set, and several old Beomaster 5500 sets that I purchased off of eBay.  I'd originally planned to refurbish the BM5500s for my younger siblings, but the BM 5500s, their remotes, and three sets of similar vintage B&O speakers all sit in a closet as I've yet to persue my plan.  I do, though, like the idea of incorporating older technology (like the circa 1980's BM5500s) with newer technology (like iPods and Apple computers).  Two of my younger siblings are musically inclined, and I hope to give them a "poor man's studio" by one day using these old B&O receivers with my siblings' Apple laptops running iTunes and Garage Band software.

In the near future, as finances allow, I plan on purchasing a BV7, and I'm also contemplating taking the plunge with some BL5s.  The BL5s are probably somewhat beyond me, both financially and space-wise, but I see them as such a good long-term investment that I'm seriously considering purchasing them with the BV7 (a second mortgage may also be in my future).  I also plan on purchasing another BeoSystem 3 (in addition to the one included with the BV7), and hooking it to a Samsung LCD TV, a DVD player, some other video inputs (like an XBox, VCR, Blu-Ray DVD, etc.), one of those pairs of BL3s, and an Apple TV - all for the kids' room.

My plan is to incorporate the Apple TV and an Apple 802.11n network with this B&O stuff so that I have some sort of bastardized Apple / B&O set-up that relies on B&O for most of the hardware and Apple for most of the software.  I'll then take a minimalistic, network-driven approach to watching and listening to my media which will primarily be stored on hard drives or downloaded in real-time from the internet.

Mark D
    Mark D
  • 08-20-2007 3:08 AM In reply to

• 9dh
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-08-2007
    • Posts 15
    • Gold Member

Ok Here we go.

1) My name is David and I live in Helsingborg in Sweden although I am Irish

2) I started with an Avant that I bought from a non B&O store that had a great discount due to a cancelled order. After a few months I had a slight problem but the store asked me to bring in the TV to them so they could then send it away........yeah right. Anyway the local B&O store came out and fixed the problem free of charge. Well that was it I was hooked. Since then I have acquired BL5, BV5, BL8000, BL2, BL6000, MX4000, BS1, BS9000, DVD1, Beocom 2,Beocom 6000, Beotalk1200, A8,

3) Found you a long long time ago by googling B&O and was addicted although took me a while to pluck up the courage to join. Love looking out for early news on new products and just the general chit chat

• 08-20-2007 3:32 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

9dh:

Ok Here we go.

1) My name is David and I live in Helsingborg in Sweden although I am Irish

2) I started with an Avant that I bought from a non B&O store that had a great discount due to a cancelled order. After a few months I had a slight problem but the store asked me to bring in the TV to them so they could then send it away........yeah right. Anyway the local B&O store came out and fixed the problem free of charge. Well that was it I was hooked. Since then I have acquired BL5, BV5, BL8000, BL2, BL6000, MX4000, BS1, BS9000, DVD1, Beocom 2,Beocom 6000, Beotalk1200, A8,

3) Found you a long long time ago by googling B&O and was addicted although took me a while to pluck up the courage to join. Love looking out for early news on new products and just the general chit chat

Oh nice collection of B&O.

Good on you, and welcome! Smile

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 08-20-2007 5:25 AM In reply to

• JoC
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-20-2007
    • Northern Ireland
    • Posts 121
    • Bronze Member

Well seeing as everybody else is coming out of the closet (so to speak), I guess I'll join in...

Hi, my name is Joe and I'm from Northern Ireland, and currently write computer software (Win32, WinCE, Windows Mobile – all in Visual C++) for an electronics company.

I bought my first piece of B&O about 10+ years ago, a BeoSound 9000 & BeoLab 8000’s. After that the ‘only’ shop in NI closed, so I was left without my fix. About 2/3 years ago a new solo B&O shop opened in Belfast and I was actually able to see (& hear) all the stuff I had missed out on – so I bought a BeoLab 2 to make up for it all…

I got bored again (or maybe it was a mid-life crisis, who knows) but I bought a BeoVision 7-40 in May of this year, absolutely the best thing I have ever bought, now if only I can get an upgrade/trade in to the new MKIII model (hint hint Belfast….)

Oh, also have the Keyring & the A8 earphones.

I have visited B&O stores in Dublin, Manchester, London, Boston (Newbury St.), Chicago (Oak St.) & New York (Madison Av.) all on while on holiday, and Stafford (UK) when I was at Uni.

I came across BeoWorld when I was researching if my BeoLab2 purchase was the right thing to do, and have been lurking in the shadows ever since.

Ps. I don’t suppose all us ‘newbies’ get a pressie, lol, well no harm in asking…

Pps. Had another mid-life crisis at the weekend and bought a BMW 1 series (3 door) – damn

JoC 

• 08-20-2007 5:45 AM In reply to

Great idea Lee.

I am Dan from London. It's my father’s fault that I have a B&O thing- my first purchase was a Beovision 3-32 a few years ago, and now I own a DVD 1, a VX800 VCR, a Becom 2,  2 beocom 6000's, a serene mobile, a  besound 3, a pair of A8's and the keyring!!

I am looking to upgrade the TV to a beovision 7, but my local dealer keeps telling me to hold off until some improvements are available.

I have mixed feelings about my last 2 purchases, the serene is great fun and is definitely a talking point but my biggest issue with it is how quickly the overall look has deteriorated. The dial has left an indent on the glass screen and the metal hinge is very badly scratched now. It has been replaced once already under warranty and the phone was returned with a piece of plastic that slides over the mains / earpiece connector, which is an improvement.

The Besound 3 is just superb – I have taken it out on a number of occasions and it is really very well designed, the handle makes it easy to carry around, it looks and sounds great.

So this is my first post!!

Dan 

• 08-20-2007 6:25 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Tell you what...

It's so nice to hear about all you first time posters and what you do and how you got into B&O that i'm happy to send ALL first time posters a little present. Big Smile

So, as soon as you do your first post on this thread, PM me your address and i'll get something off to you!

Lee

Smile

• 08-20-2007 6:27 AM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Welcome DanBig Smile

Just a quick point. All Serenes come with the little slidey bit, but as it is usually open when you get it, most of us didn't know it was there!
    I have had mine a year now and the outside is perfect but the glass took no time at all to get marked by the dial.
    I think the two little rubber stops should have been a bit more prominent.
    Going to have a go with jewelers rouge one of these days to get rid of the marks.
    Glad you plucked up the courage to make your first post.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 08-20-2007 7:21 AM In reply to

• JoC
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-20-2007
    • Northern Ireland
    • Posts 121
    • Bronze Member

9 LEE:

Tell you what...

It's so nice to hear about all you first time posters and what you do and how you got into B&O that i'm happy to send ALL first time posters a little present. Big Smile

So, as soon as you do your first post on this thread, PM me your address and i'll get something off to you!

Lee

Smile

Bugger, now I feel all guilty, lurking in the shadows for so long, and getting a gift for doing so.

I promise, not to hide as much in the future, honest guv.

JoC

• 08-20-2007 7:55 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

JoC:
    9 LEE:

Tell you what...

Lee

Smile

Bugger, now I feel all guilty, lurking in the shadows for so long, and getting a gift for doing so.

I promise, not to hide as much in the future, honest guv.

JoC

Good - lets be hearing more from you! Big Smile

Maybe Punch and Judy can recruit you for the Wednesday Club..

jandyt - explain.

Laughing

• 08-20-2007 10:10 AM In reply to

Hi Lee,

Am I qualified for a gift too?  I joined the forum last month and I already have 10 posts. I can always delete them to get your gift. Smile

BTW I am Victor. It all started some 20 years ago when I visited a department store and I was facinated by the automatic glass door design for one of the BeoCentre.  My sister then bought me a Beo6000 a couple of years back and I started to collece bit by bit.  I now have a BV3 32 , the cordless phone and the earphone.

I am now waiting eagerly for the BV7 32 to setup my home cinema system.  I can't wait to see how the master link works and that I can watch whatever the DVD is playing in the other room.

Anyway great site, lots of info.

Vic

• 08-20-2007 3:59 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Bouncer:

Hi Lee,

Am I qualified for a gift too?  I joined the forum last month and I already have 10 posts. I can always delete them to get your gift. Smile

BTW I am Victor. It all started some 20 years ago when I visited a department store and I was facinated by the automatic glass door design for one of the BeoCentre.  My sister then bought me a Beo6000 a couple of years back and I started to collece bit by bit.  I now have a BV3 32 , the cordless phone and the earphone.

I am now waiting eagerly for the BV7 32 to setup my home cinema system.  I can't wait to see how the master link works and that I can watch whatever the DVD is playing in the other room.

Anyway great site, lots of info.

Vic

Hi Vic!

It's for first time posters only - but thank you for your input! Big Smile

PS - Stay with your BV3 and spend your money on some 8000's, 6000's and a Beolab 2 !!!

Lee

Smile 

Page 1 of 2 (33 items) 1 2 Next >