in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-20-2007 3:56 PM by KingStreet. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-16-2007 6:11 PM

Advise for a bathroom speaker

Dear experts!

I'm planning to fill our bathroom in our apartment with music and need som advice.
    I own the following pieces: BL3500, Beolink Active and a Beolink Passive. (non of them are installed today)

What do you think about these options:

1. Just fit the BL3500. - I have to install both ML and mains through the wall.
    2. Fit a BL Active. - I can fit the box outside but need to install Powerlink, IR-eye and mains. I alsoo need to buy a BL4 or any other small active speaker. I think it will look to much if I fit, for example, two BL4000.
    3. Use the BL Passive. - I place the box outside an then only have to intall a speaker cable and the IR-eye in the wall. Then I need a speaker. If I make it simple I just put two small wall mounted speakers in white or fitting a in-wall speaker in the roof. I have found the B&W CCM646S which is a single speaker with stereo sound thrugh doubble tweeters. http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Utilities/getDoc.aspx?file=Libraries/3/CCM646S_InfoSheet_l2_w0_h0_1.pdf&name=CCM646S%20Info%20Sheet.pdf

If any of you can give me some advice or new ideas I would be very happy.
    Thanks!
    Ola
  • 08-16-2007 6:24 PM In reply to

Re: Advise for a bathroom speaker

I would go for the BL3500 and placed it over the mirror, I have a BL2000 placed over the spa..

Also beovox 1 is great placed up side down in the ceiling

• 08-16-2007 6:26 PM In reply to

Do you know if the Beovox 1 is a single unit stereo speaker like the B&W CCM646?

/Ola
  • 08-16-2007 6:34 PM In reply to

Beowox1 is two separate speakers
  • 08-16-2007 11:52 PM In reply to

• SWISS_2
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Neuchatel, Suisse
    • Posts 552
    • Gold Member

BL 2000 is a good choice, as mentioned above. For a Kitchen, Bathroom, Hallway, or Garage/Shop it sounds very good,  and offers one all the the sound options of M-L, including Beoplayer, Beoport, and Beomediia.  Small, well-built, easy to clean and maintain, and quite robust considering humidity and moisture.

I would suggest you consider wall mounting it, and to remember that this is an active unit, and mains connected. If you are wet, just washing up, or standing on a wet rug, avoid any chance of mains shorts,  and use a Beo 4 remote.

Someone in Denmark mentioned recently that this unit might be on the way out in the future, which is a shame as it has many, many  applications. I'd think your design out carefully, and make a move on a purchase before too long.

Cheers !

• 08-17-2007 12:50 AM In reply to

B&Ola:
    2. Fit a BL Active. - I can fit the box outside but need to install Powerlink, IR-eye and mains. I alsoo need to buy a BL4 or any other small active speaker. I think it will look to much if I fit, for example, two BL4000.

If any of you can give me some advice or new ideas I would be very happy.
    Thanks!
    Ola

An active kit with active speakers from Detoma is a nice option. All their active speakers are moisture-proof. The V110 are new in their program. Very nice. Cool

http://www.detoma.com/download/V110_e.pdf 

• 08-17-2007 3:07 AM In reply to

SWISS 2:

BL 2000 is a good choice, as mentioned above. For a Kitchen, Bathroom, Hallway, or Garage/Shop it sounds very good,  and offers one all the the sound options of M-L, including Beoplayer, Beoport, and Beomediia.  Small, well-built, easy to clean and maintain, and quite robust considering humidity and moisture.

I would suggest you consider wall mounting it, and to remember that this is an active unit, and mains connected. If you are wet, just washing up, or standing on a wet rug, avoid any chance of mains shorts,  and use a Beo 4 remote.

Someone in Denmark mentioned recently that this unit might be on the way out in the future, which is a shame as it has many, many  applications. I'd think your design out carefully, and make a move on a purchase before too long.

Cheers !

The Bl2000 stopped in production 1,5 years ago.

• 08-17-2007 4:06 AM In reply to

The Stig - ver. 1.3:

I would go for the BL3500 and placed it over the mirror, I have a BL2000 placed over the spa..

Also beovox 1 is great placed up side down in the ceiling

I am confident that installations like the one shown or the one suggested would NOT pass current UK electrical safety regulations.

The use of electrical items in a bathroom type environment is the subject of very strict regulation for obvious reasons. The "gung ho" use of non compliant electrical items is to be avoided and for this reason I can only recommend the use of passive speakers in this environment.

Regards Graham

• 08-17-2007 4:33 AM In reply to

The Beolab 2000 would be nice.

Do NOT place it within reach of the bath tub/ shower...

Alway use it with the remote.

p.

• 08-17-2007 4:34 AM In reply to

I totally agree with Graham, you would not only be breaking the electrical regulations, but as of 18 months ago any such installations in the UK has to be inspected.

To be used over the bath the product must be rated at IP56 or greater

Bathroom

Zone 0 The interior of the bath or shower which can hold water. Zone 1 The area directly above zone 0 limited vertically to 2.25m above the bottom of the bath or shower. Zone 2 The area beyond zones 0 and 1, 0.6m horizontally and up to 2.25m vertically. Zone 2 also included any window with a sill next to the bath. Zone 3 The area beyond zones 2, 2.4m horizontally and up to 2.25m vertically.

Note:

• Where ceiling heights exceed 2.25m, the zones are effectively up to 3m - beyond 3m, the walls are 'out of scope'.
    • Basins are not covered, however they are usually considered to be Zone 2.
    • Providing that the space under the bath cannot be accessed without using tools (i.e. screwdriver etc), that space is considered to be 'out of scope'.

Equipment for bathrooms

Electrical equipment may be identified as having a certain level of mechanical and moisture protection, these are quoted as 'Ingress Protection' (or IP) numbers - such as 'IPXY', where X and Y are numbers, the X showing the level of mechanical protection and Y showing the level of moisture protection - in both cases, the higher the number, the better the protection. If a piece of equipment does not have an IP number, it must not be used in zones 0, 1 or 2 (or elsewhere having a wet/damp environment).

Typical electrical items which are marked with IP numbers include:

• Extractor fans
    • Lighting
    • Heaters
    • Electrical shower units
    • Shower pumps

Shaver power points are not IP rated, however, if they comply with BS EN 60742 Chapter 2, Section 1, they can be located in zone 2 (or beyond) providing they are unlikely be be the subject of direct spray from any shower.

As well as IP numbers, items may be classed as PELV or SELV.

• Protective Extra-Low Voltage (PELV) - As the name suggests, the item uses low voltage but it is connected to earth.
    • Safety Extra-Low Voltage (SELV) - Again a low voltage system but the output is isolated from the input.

Standard electrical wall fittings (such as wall sockets, flexible cord outlets and fused switches etc) are not IP rated so cannot be installed within zones 0, 1 or 2. No standard socket outlets are allowed anywhere in the bathroom.

Use of Equipment

Any electrical item approved for use in a zone may be used in another zone with a higher number, but not in a lower number zone.

Zone 0 Requires electrical products to low voltage (max. 12 volts) and be IPX7 (the mechanical protection is unimportant). Zone 1 Requires electrical products to be IPX4 or better, or SELV with the transformer located in zone 3 or beyond. If the fitting is 240v, a 30mA RCD must be used to protect the circuit. Zone 2 Requires electrical products to be IPX4 or better, or SELV with the transformer located in zone 3 or beyond. Zone 3 The regulations do not specify any IP number for zone 3, however reference should be made to the manufacturers data in case it indicates any exclusion. Portable electrical equipment is not permitted other than that using a SELV or shaver unit. Beyond zone 3 When the size of bathroom extends beyond zone 3, portable equipment is allowed, however they should be positioned such that that their flex length does not enable them to be used in zone 3.

Regards Keith....

• 08-17-2007 7:22 AM In reply to

• Bieele
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 339
    • Bronze Member

I agree that a passive speaker is the best choice.

I use a beolink passive with B&W speakers LM1. These are quite nice for this use since they can be nicely wall mounted; the base plate can be turned to surve as a wall mount. Very nice if you can also use it for hiding the cable!

Bieele

B&W LLM1 speaker

Heej zuij der alles veur gaeve En heej zaet ze mogen ut hebbe van meej
  • 08-17-2007 10:06 AM In reply to

I went for the passive option, with speakers (small white KEFs) in the ceiling, and all the wiring/amps up in the loft - in my view safer in a wet / humid atmosphere
  • 08-17-2007 10:41 AM In reply to

Very good decision..

Regards Keith....

• 08-17-2007 12:15 PM In reply to

• joynsyde
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-09-2007
    • Midwest, U.S.A.
    • Posts 130
    • Bronze Member

If you install BeoVox 1 or any other ceiling-mounted speaker, I would suggest that you make sure to use a back-box! This will improve sound quality and keep your sound in the room where you want it instead of leaking to all the adjacent rooms through the walls.

Good luck with your project. 

...my two cents ~AJ
  • 08-17-2007 4:23 PM In reply to

Note: Beovox1 is a Passive speaker
  • 08-17-2007 11:05 PM In reply to

• SWISS_2
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Neuchatel, Suisse
    • Posts 552
    • Gold Member

Danke Stig. I'm still in shock, but I'm glad I bought the BL 2000's when I did.

Off topic a bit, but what vehicle are you racing in your photo ?

• 08-20-2007 6:22 AM In reply to

Thank you all for your comments/suggestions!

I think I'll go for the passive way with the built-in B&W speakers since they are "stereo sound thru on speaker" (anyone tried this?)

B&W built in stereo speaker

About "back-box", joynsyde, Can this be made of steel or should I try to build this in wood? 

/Ola 

• 08-20-2007 3:56 PM In reply to

B&Ola:

Thank you all for your comments/suggestions!

I think I'll go for the passive way with the built-in B&W speakers since they are "stereo sound thru on speaker" (anyone tried this?)

B&W built in stereo speaker

About "back-box", joynsyde, Can this be made of steel or should I try to build this in wood? 

/Ola 

Hi,

Agree with several other posts - use passive speakers and an IR eye, and keep the mains voltages well away from the wet room - for legal and safety reasons.  This precludes the Beolab 3500, Beolab 2000, and also active kits with any current Beolabs ( they dont like steam )

If you need hands-on functions, wall mount a Beo4 remote - looks great and youve only got 3 x AAA batteries - no danger to life, even with wet hands - although don't wet your remote, they don't like it.

The 2-in-1 designs are great for smaller rooms. but for larger rooms, BeoVox 1 are a very very good choice - excellent sound compared to equivalent in-wall models by KEF etc. 

Aside from BeoVox 1, which is our poreffered choice, 2-in-1 units from Speakercraft ( at the upper end ) and Adastra ( budget ) are used regularly by me ( UK  - Manchester ) for single cut out installations in smaller rooms.

Regards

Bang & Olufsen of King Street - Manchester,UK. SKYPE - beokingstreet

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)