in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-18-2007 10:56 AM by Alex. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-18-2007 6:28 AM

PS3 v X-Box v Wii

What do the team think works best with a BV7-40 (which has Sky HD connected already).

I want to buy a games machine and am not really fussed which one, but want it to have the best possible picture. I think the previous site said that there may be some isues with the PS3.

I don't want to know which games console is best, just which gets the best from the tv.

Mike

• 04-18-2007 7:03 AM In reply to

• Greg
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • London, UK
    • Posts 109
    • Bronze Member

Re: PS3 v X-Box v Wii

• 04-18-2007 7:06 AM In reply to

Yes, I'd be very pleased to listen to views on this. I'm keen on the PS3 to make use of the Blue Ray drive. I know it has digital out for the sound to go with the HDMI to DVI for BV7, but has anyone tried it to gauge the high def picture?

Brian

• 04-18-2007 7:08 AM In reply to

• jchasey
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Hampshire, UK
    • Posts 11
    • Bronze Member

The PS3 and XBox360 both support HD out for games and movies. (although PS3 doesn't upscale normal DVDs to HD, 360 does)

X-Box - need to buy the HD Drive add-on for movies, but X-Box+HD drive is still cheaper than PS3.

Both boxes take firmware updates from the internet, and so any glitches are being sorted, plus new features added (e.g. one of them only supports 720p instead of 1080, but this is to be updated in future firmware patch).

Most high profile games will be released for both, so biggest difference is probably the blu-ray v HD DVD argument.

On the other hand Wii is much cheaper, arguably has the better games (definately appeal to wider set of people), but won't look as good on the TV since its SD-only.

Personally already have a Wii, and havn't decided which of X-Box and PS3 to go for yet...

• 04-18-2007 11:52 AM In reply to

• Beonut
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Essex, UK
    • Posts 89
    • Bronze Member

I have a PS3 connected to my BS3 / BV4 - 50. I have tried a few bluray discs out, the picture is excellent, clearly better than DVD, and the PCM sound is way better than dolby digital 5.1.

Cheers

Peter

My B&O - BS3, BV4-50, Beomedia 1, BS3200, DVD1, BL8000, BL6000, BL3, BL2, BL7.4
  • 04-19-2007 2:53 PM In reply to

• Pushkin
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • London
    • Posts 50
    • Bronze Member

I also have a PS3 connected to BS3/BV4-65 and tested out the new Bond bluray - the best picture I have seen so far on my BV4 - massive improvement but makes normal sky tv look very poor. 
  • 04-21-2007 5:15 AM In reply to

Re: PS3 v X-Box v Wii pse be aware

To all B & O users read below.

I am not impressed with B & O.n update for all Beovision 7 owners who could never get digital audio feeds working with STB's, PC's, Apple TV's, CD players and other sources outputting digital audio. Quite simply ... The Beovision 7 DOES NOT currently support digital 2-channel PCM.

If the signal is Dolby Digital 5.1 you will get sound, but music, Cable and Satellite STB audio (non-HD) and pretty much everything else that isn't full 5.1 Dolby is unable to be processed by the on-board Digital Surround Sound Module. Dolby's own website states 'all Dolby Digital decoder units also incorporate a digitally implemented Dolby Surround Pro Logic decoder'. 2-channel PCM would normally be handled by the Pro Logic decoder and give you either standard stereo (music CD's) or if there is additional surround information encoded on the 2-channels, Pro Logic Surround sound (STB's etc). 

You decide if B&O have met the terms of their licensing agreement with Dolby, by only partially implementing what is a clearly defined standard, but branding their product as being Dolby Digital compliant nevertheless. For those interested, try reading this document from www.dolby.com: http://www.dolby.com/assets/pdf/tech_library/42_DDFAQ.pdf 

I was advised that the problem is not able to be corrected via a software upgrade, and there are no plans in place to modify the current chassis to address this problem. The problem does not affect the newer chassis as used in the Beosystem 3 or the Beovision 8. A new generation Beovision 7 will be released at some point which will utilise this new chassis, but there is no release date as yet. So for all those who purchased a Beovision 7 and were told that their new TV set was HD-Ready (HD refers to audio not just video) will be disappointed to find out (rather belatedly) that their expensive new equipment cannot accept digital stereo feeds and connecting their digital sources (CD players, STB's etc) may be difficult or even impossible. 

I would welcome a moderator, or other official B&O source to comment on this issue and provide an update to the many unhappy and confused Beovision 7 owners who have been struggling with this issue since the 'HD-Ready'/'Dolby Digital' Beovision 7 was first released.Carl

Carl Sheerman

• 04-21-2007 5:46 AM In reply to

I agree that B&O are taking up HD rather more slowly than some other companies. I am not sufficiently conversant with all the HD standards to make a useful comment and have not taken up HD as I still feel screen technology has some way to go before beating my Avant.

Do remember that this is a site run by enthusiasts and is not part of B&O. The knowledge base on this site is usually due to prior ownership or being a repairer of B&O. I don't think B&O have ever officially posted on site though they do look at the site, probably to see what we are getting up to!! 

• 04-21-2007 12:17 PM In reply to

• jro
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Posts 10
    • Bronze Member

Hello,

Are you sure about the Beovision 7 does not support digital 2-channel PCM?  I have feed both HD ready and first generation BV7s with Music DVD contains PCM stereo track and it works fine. Or we are actually talking about different thing?

Jimmy

• 04-21-2007 4:25 PM In reply to

Yes i am sure, this is for the digital inputs on the back on the back of the tv itself.  Most new products have digital outputs via a toslink lead but you can use a converter to enable connection to the digital port ion the back and as i have said before the BV7 digtial input does not except PCM.  You may be talking about using a scart socket when this can be used with no problems.Carl

Carl Sheerman

• 04-23-2007 1:53 PM In reply to

jro:

Hello,

Are you sure about the Beovision 7 does not support digital 2-channel PCM?  I have feed both HD ready and first generation BV7s with Music DVD contains PCM stereo track and it works fine. Or we are actually talking about different thing?

Jimmy

Hi Jimmy,

I believe the original post to be accurate. 

It could be that we are simply talking about something different. The problem described relates to the connection of external equipment which is capable of outputting digital audio (STB, CD Player, Apple TV etc), via the Digital Coax inputs (A1, A2, A3, A4) on the Beovision 7.

If the digital audio signal received is full Dolby Digital 5.1 then you will have sound. If, however, the digital audio signal is simply 2-channel PCM and there is no secondary analog connection (eg. a scart, or the R&L phono connections on AV4), you will get no sound.

You refer to "Music DVD's" ... I gather you are playing these in Beovision 7's internal DVD player ... there should be no problem there ... the problem only affects externally connected equipment.

If however, you have an external DVD player with digital only connections, (i.e. no scart, no analog audio connections) and you are getting sound then I would be most interested to hear of further details. It may be that the audio is in fact full Dolby Digital 5.1. 

A very simple test is to load a Music CD (not a DVD) into your externally connected DVD player and see what comes out soundwise!

Let me know how you get on ...

Alan

• 04-23-2007 2:56 PM In reply to

I have all 3 and the ps3 is easily the best , it is also MUCH quieter than the xbox , so is ideal for watching movies on , blu ray is stunning. 

The wii is a gimmicky toy and after being fun for a few days I haven't bothered with it since Xmas , the graphics are dreadful and it's just not very impressive.

The PS3 just feels so rounded and developed , it's like someone actually bothered , rather than the cobbled together feel of the 360.

The 360 does have better pads , though.

popgear is grate™

• 04-26-2007 8:35 AM In reply to

• jro
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Posts 10
    • Bronze Member

Hello Alan,
     You were right, I was referring to the built-in DVD player. Misread the previous post. Stick out tongue

• 04-26-2007 12:49 PM In reply to

As we're on this topic briefly, I wanted to ask if anyone has been able to use a PS3 on their BV5? I'm having to use mine on a Pioneer plasma at the moment. It's not such a serious issue because I think we will be replacing the BV5 for a BV9 quite soon anyway, but was a little disappointed.

• 06-18-2007 10:38 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

You should be able to use an HDMI > DVI converter to connect it to the DVI socket, and the surround sound module should accept PCM 2.0 sound. The reason B&O gave for not accepting it with the BV7 was that the only thing you'd want digital stereo sound on was the internal DVD/CD drive. Could be the same on the BeoVision 5 though, but it doesn't have a built in CD/DVD drive so I'd imagine it'll be fine.

And hooray for topic revival!

Weekly top artists:                   

• 06-18-2007 10:48 AM In reply to

We now have a Wii - hilarious! Bit tiring though! Laughing
  • 06-18-2007 10:56 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Peter:
    We now have a Wii - hilarious! Bit tiring though! Laughing

Best console IMO! Brings back what gaming was all about with the N64 and consoles before - having fun!

Weekly top artists:                   

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)