in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-21-2007 9:50 AM by Dave. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-14-2007 10:05 PM

help - beovision avant

My old man recently sent me his beovision avant 32 vcr (type # 8435), and he said it was in perfect working order (it bloody well better be, after lugging that 80kg box up 3 flights of stairs). But when I turn it on, the 'electronic curtain' does not fully retract to the side of the screen - this is the same when using the menu, or when viewing a connected dvd, or set top box. The picture is slightly off centre, and the border on the left and right hand sides of the picture is not straight (ie. wobbly).

After a thorough read of the instruction manuals, I've still no idea how to fix the problem. Is there anything that can be done? Is there some sort picture of adjustment which I am overlooking? Or is the television in need of repair?

Any help/advive would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Ben.

• 08-15-2007 1:54 AM In reply to

Re: help - beovision avant

Ben,

For a normal user there is no adjustments for the problem you have described.

There is adjustment via the service menu, but what you describe is more likely to be an actual electronic fault in the TV itself.

I suggest you ask your father the following questions about the AVANT:-

1. Did he have the problem you describe when he last used it ?
    2. If, he did have the problem, has he always had the problem, or did it just occur one day ?

If he did NOT have the problem, then it is almost certainly caused by some element of the scanning coils moving during is transportation up three flights of stairs. If this is the case you may have to get your B&O dealer in to have a look at it.

Regards Keith....

• 08-15-2007 5:53 AM In reply to

• Stones
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-01-2007
    • Oslo, Norway
    • Posts 18
    • Founder

Hi, maybe there is nothing wrong, only that the picture format is automatic chosen to 15:9 og 14:9 (FORMAT1) by the Avant himself. The Avant chooses this when he receives a 4:3 picture. And sometimes then the black bars become not very straight. At least it is like this with my Avant 32RF DVD. Only my suggestion...
  • 08-15-2007 7:37 AM In reply to

• beoaus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 445
    • Founder

Slightly off centre pictures can be rectified by the end user.

It sounds like you need a full system reset to start with. To do this you also need a service tech as Keith mentioned. You have received a great gift maybe a service tech onsite is not a bad thing.... Its easier down the stairs than up. Trust me on that one, I know.

Hope you get the Avant working.

Beoaus.

• 08-15-2007 9:37 AM In reply to

Thanks for all your comments, I really appreciate it.

Upon further inspection, the picture clarity is not quite up to scratch either. I guess I'll ring up B&O in the morning, and see what they have to say.

• 08-15-2007 9:46 AM In reply to

If the picture is not as good as it should be either, then the scanning coils may have slipped a small amount down the tube neck during transportation. If this is the problem then the B&O engineer will have it fixed quite quickly.

Regards Keith....

• 08-15-2007 2:25 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Keith Saunders:

I suggest you ask your father the following questions about the AVANT:-

1. Did he have the problem you describe when he last used it ?
    2. If, he did have the problem, has he always had the problem, or did it just occur one day ?

Ahh, the square dough-nut theory in action I see!

Poor me, never win owt!

• 08-15-2007 4:24 PM In reply to

Yes, the square dough-nut theory back in action... you do have a good memory

Regards Keith....

• 08-16-2007 7:05 AM In reply to

My old man assures me it worked perfectly before he sent it to me, so the problem you suggest sounds highly likely. I rang up B&O today and hopefully a service technician will get back to me tomorrow.

Once again, thanks for everyone's help.

• 09-03-2007 11:21 AM In reply to

Just thought I would follow up on my original post.

A B&O technician serviced the television last week, and after poking around with the remote for 10 minutes, he said that all of the problems have been fixed, and he said they were most likely caused during transportation.

However, when viewing a 4:3 image, the sides of the picture still aren't perfectly straight, and when viewing an image with fast movement (ie. sport) there still appears to be a 'fuzz' around the outside of the moving object (ie. player/ball).

Is this normal for an avant? Does anyone know how I can adjust these to improve the picture on the service menu?

Regards, Ben.

• 09-15-2007 8:08 AM In reply to

Hi Ben,

I have jus aquired  Avant VCR 28", and it seems to have same problem, the picture is off centre, and the border on the left is wider than the right.

Did the B & O technician fix the same problem in your tv by adjusting settings with Remote control?

Cheers.Shakeel

• 09-15-2007 8:22 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Hi Shakeel, welcome to one of the internets finest forums! Big Smile 

I carefully corrected this issue on our TV via the geometry settings in the service menu. Let me stress... carefully.

You can find the service menu for your TV in the user & service manuals section of Beoworld.

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 09-21-2007 6:53 AM In reply to

Thanks David, I will read the manual and try it. Will report back any progress... Cheers,
  • 09-21-2007 9:26 AM In reply to

Hi David, I tried as you suggested and it worked! The picture is now centered and I can even get the whole picture in widescreen! Thank you very much.

• 09-21-2007 9:50 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Ah good job, it took me a pretty long time to get the geometry settings perfect on our TV, but the end result was a huge relief.

My pleasure!!

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)