in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-13-2007 6:49 PM by The Stig - ver. 1.7. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-13-2007 4:41 PM

• trond
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-13-2007
    • Posts 5
    • Bronze Member

Beovision 7 + PS3, DVI problem..

Hi!

My new PS3 works fine with component connected to AV4..  but if I try to use a HDMI -> DVI cable to get perfect digital picture I just get a grey picture. 

That is, AV4 is set to be PC and HDTV in that menu is set to NONE since the other is for component right.. I'm sure this is the setup I used for XBox 360 some months ago and that worked with the DVI like that. But when I now in the PS3 menu choose to use HDMI connection... I just get grey screen...

Any clues?

Makes we want to get the new MKIII 7-40 though.. :)

Trond
  • 08-13-2007 5:30 PM In reply to

Re: Beovision 7 + PS3, DVI problem..

you have to set HDTV to "DVI"... I think HDMI, DVI-D and component is the same signal just different cables your all welcome to quote me on this (yes i know HDMI has sound and so on)
  • 08-13-2007 5:47 PM In reply to

• trond
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-13-2007
    • Posts 5
    • Bronze Member

Yes.. I think you're right... but I don't have DVI.. only NONE and the component.. which would normally lead me to think I shouldn't be able to use DVI until I got some kind of firmware upgrade or something (I got my 7-40 in march 2006)..

However.. it did work with xbox 360, so I suspect that the old firmware or whatever had NONE mean "don't use component -> use DVI" or something..  also, I can see that it does indeed switch to the pure digital display (although it's just grey).. you can see this since the picture is pixel perfect, no noise, and if you do Menu to get the brightness / contrast / color menu you can see that the tekst is crystal sharp..

So my theory was that either PS3 defaults to a HDMI res that BV doesn't support.. or the cable is broken.. or something on the PS3 is set up wrong...

I guess I should try a normal PC/laptop to try to eliminate what might be the problem..

Appreciate any ideas :)
  • 08-13-2007 5:59 PM In reply to

Thats because you have set one of the other AV inputs to use DVI Smile have in mined that even if f.x. AV3 is set to NONE in the main menu, it still can be set to use the DVI input
  • 08-13-2007 6:09 PM In reply to

• trond
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-13-2007
    • Posts 5
    • Bronze Member

Hmm.. what do you mean can still be set?  AV1, AV2 and AV3 are all set to NONE (not in use at all).. only AV4 is set to PC.. with HDTV set to NONE.. I cannot find DVI option anywhere.. am I missing somthing obvious?
  • 08-13-2007 6:16 PM In reply to

Press go to AV1 and see if HDTV is set to NONE if so, then proceed to AV2. Also look at CAMERA (AV5)
  • 08-13-2007 6:28 PM In reply to

• trond
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-13-2007
    • Posts 5
    • Bronze Member

They're all set to NONE.

I just got the system upgrade of PS3 online, hoping it might help.. but it didn't..

However, it did detect that I had HDMI (to DVI) cable plugged in and asked if I wanted to try.. (I was just using AV1 for old scart video to see the ps3 boot) But again, when answering yes to try HDMI and then switching to PC/AV4, I just get grey screen...

But now I also noticed that if I press menu then, I do get the brightness/contrast/color menu and the title for that menu does indeed say "DVI Setup"... so I think we can conlude that I am indeed seeing DVI.. it's just grey..  so maybe something with the cable or connectors is broken..  or could PS3 try to output 1080p as default? hmm..
  • 08-13-2007 6:35 PM In reply to

Yes then it's on the DVI input I have never seen one that can't be set to DVI-I. Then tray and chance PS3's output remember to turn off TV after you have chanced it and then power it up again
  • 08-13-2007 6:45 PM In reply to

• trond
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-13-2007
    • Posts 5
    • Bronze Member

Maybe I have too old firmware to see that option listed properly.. but it did work with xbox 360... anyway.. getting late :) Will try some more tomorrow.. at least verify wether DVI from a laptop will work.

• 08-13-2007 6:49 PM In reply to

Okay tomorrow we also can read out the firmware to see what version it is...Smile
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)