in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-13-2007 11:19 AM by The Stig - ver. 1.7. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-13-2007 3:39 AM

Hmm [^o)] Masterlink issue

I have two TV's a BV7 and BV6 linked. In addition we have a CD linked to the BV7. Normally when both TV's are plugged in we can select DTV, DVD, CD through the BV6 or 7. Over the last couple of weeks on two occasions I have been unable to link the two TV's. I have tried reseting the link via the Beo4 remote and have even switched both TV's off at the mains for a couple of hours. No success.

On the first occasion the next morning everything worked again. The second occasion was last night so I won't know if the link is working until I get home tonight.

I assume this is a masterlink issue. For completeness the CD continues to be available from the BV7 so clearly it is still linking into other units. It seems to just be the BV6 that I have an issue with. Is there a diagnostic that I can run from the service menu on the BV6 ?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Both TV's should still be under warranty.

Filed under: ,
  • 08-13-2007 5:17 AM In reply to

Re: Masterlink issue

Well, it could be a MasterLink issue, but it could also be option setup, nevertheless I think we need to understand a little more about the actual symptoms.

I am assuming that the Beovision 7 and the and the Beovision 6 are in different rooms, please confirm ?

Also, you say a CD is linked to the Beovision 7, what CD player do you have connected to the Masterlink ?

You say "I have been unable to link the two TV's" Do you really mean to say this ?

I am assuming that the Beovision 6 has had the options set for a link option, please confirm ?

Regards Keith....

• 08-13-2007 6:11 AM In reply to

Keith

In answer to your questions: 

i) The BV7 and BV6 are in different rooms. They are linked with a ML cable and a coax cable {via RF amplifier}.

ii) A beosystem 2300 is in the same room as the BV7. This is also connected to the BV7 via an ML cable and separate ML box

iii) I meant to say that I have been unable to re-establish any sign of a masterlink connection. The physical connection between the two TV's I assume is uninterrupted - though the cables are run through walls. The two TV's are normally linked. For instance by selecting DTV, DVD or CD on the BV6 I can then play the sky box, DVD or BS2300 respectively even though located in the BV7 room. When however the link has failed only the TV button seems to work for the BV6 (giving analogue TV via the coax connection) and all other functions have no effect. On the other hand if I go into the other room where the BV7 is located DTV, DVD and CD are available via that TV.

iv) Both the BV7 and BV6 were set up by the local B&O engineer and normally default to the ML connection being active. I therefore normally don't have to do anything other than make sure both TV's are plugged in at the power socket and that the security PIN's have been keyed in for each.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Regards

Ken

• 08-13-2007 6:56 AM In reply to

Ken,

Well, taking into account your answers I would say you are correct in your assessment of the core problem.

The Masterlink works on a token ring or key principle meaning after powerup one product (device) will have ownership of the key and assuming the Beovision 7 has ownership of the key and you press CD in the link room then a request will be sent out on the Masterlink for that key. When the handshaking is completed then the Beovision 6 will have ownership of the bus and it can send out the command to the 2300 for the CD to put its audio onto the Masterlink. If at any time the handshaking back to the Beovision 6 is lost then you can get into a situation where no one has bus control or the receiving device missed the command request.

Taking everything into consideration I would say that you have an intermittent opening of the connection of either pin 1 or pin 2 of the Masterlink cable from your Beovision 6 to where it joins the other two products masterlink.

If the Masterlink connections were done using a B&O junction box, then I suggest you start there and look at the wires with colours white/green (pin 1) and green (pin 2). They are pushed into the gripper which breaks the insulation of the wires and sometimes the wires do not fully make contact.

Regards Keith....

• 08-13-2007 7:06 AM In reply to

Keith

Thanks. I will see if the engineer can come out and sort.

Regards

Ken

Party!!!

• 08-13-2007 7:09 AM In reply to

Ken,

Be aware that whilst your B&O products may be under warranty, your dealer may charge you for the call out.

Regards Keith....

• 08-13-2007 7:54 AM In reply to

Keith 

He only did the wiring etc about 4 weeks ago. If there proves to be an issue I think I will suggest (in the nicest possible terms) that he wave any charge.

I have however noticed that whereas in the past the original dealer bent over backwards to provide services e.g. installation free of charge that the current dealer charges for everything (@£50 per hour).

It has to be said that if I had just spent £6k on a TV I wouldn't be overly happy to face an additional charge for delivery and installation.

Thanks

Ken

• 08-13-2007 11:19 AM In reply to

if there is only the two TV's on the Master link, and you don't have a connection box mounted?

Then you will need to get a Connection box Mounted, because the BV6 needs the shortcut there is in the connection box. else it loses contact randomly.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)