in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-18-2007 4:57 AM by Kevin. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-18-2007 3:23 AM

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

New Speakers

Approaching a subject running elsewhere on this forum (and Beocentral) from a different perspective -

I have and love a Beosystem 5000, currently teamed with RL60's.

My wife, over a period of 20 odd years, has come to hate them with a passion. She has now given the nod for me to replace them (hence other posts asking opinions on BL800 vs BL3 and whether either can be successfully driven from BM5000).

Having been swayed toward the BL8000 I downloaded the Service manual (I like to know what goes on inside) and, I must admit, I was quite shocked to find the amplification to be basically off the shelf Sanyo integrated Amplifier IC's. Now I understand the principles of active speakers in that it is the way the amps are matched to the drivers and also the frequency response can be taylored more precisely etc. but I had expected something more in the amplifier section for £2500.

Shortly after this Tim Jarman over at Beocentral tells me my amp in the BM5000 is way nicer than those in the BL8000 partially supporting my observations however he went on to recommend Uniphase S55's as the answer rather than either of my proposed choices. These, I suspect, will please Mrs Puncher even less than the RL60's - what she's really after is something that looks nice and is contemporary (its only me that needs it to sound good too).

And so to the point - should I continue persuing active speakers or is there a good looking, good sounding passive solution out there. Ultimately its what they really sound like that counts but I'd like to be sure I've gotten the best solution for my hard earned readies.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 04-18-2007 3:36 AM In reply to

• Kevin
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-15-2007
    • Posts 1,256
    • Founder

Re: New Speakers

I don't suppose she would be tempted by a pair of Pentas?

Btw I have the S55 running off my B5500 sitting on a nice pair of stainles steel stands from Ikea at the moment they look and sound greatYes 

• 04-18-2007 3:45 AM In reply to

• Bulgarien
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Denmark, Vest Sjaeland
    • Posts 201
    • Bronze Member

Embarrassed ups..

• 04-18-2007 4:00 AM In reply to

Tim likes his S55s as he likes a fairly bass light sound. They are a very nice speaker and quite similar in many ways to the S45-2 in balance. However I think you could be disappointed with the sound from a bass point of view. I would stop looking at the circuit diagrams and concentrate on your ears! The combination of products can often lead to a sum greater than its parts and I think the 8000 does this. A little blind testing could well be in order! I do have a rather nice pair of S120s which are available as a test pair - similar sound to S55s but better in almost all areas. An insider at B&O confided to me that he thought the S120 was one of the best balanced speakers made by B&O! Maybe compare them against the BL8000s? I am sure we could arrange a demo somewhere!
  • 04-18-2007 4:08 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

I'm afraid the S120 and Pentas wouldn't make it through the front doorSad

By the way Peter - do we know who the editor was who added the speaker section to the product page on the main site??Wink

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 04-18-2007 4:25 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I agree with Peter about listening to your ears and ignore the circuit diagrams. B&O TVs use LCD Samsung panels, as do many MANY other brands, but that doesn't stop them from being the best picture on the market.

If your really can't live with the thought of the amps in the BL8000s, try BeoLab 3s. With a BL2, they can sing beautifully. Make sure the pair you listen to are well run in, otherwise they will sound over-bright and really 'tubby' (basically generally not that great).

Weekly top artists:                   

• 04-18-2007 4:53 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Kevin:

I don't suppose she would be tempted by a pair of Pentas?

Btw I have the S55 running off my B5500 sitting on a nice pair of stainles steel stands from Ikea at the moment they look and sound greatYes 

I see the BC 9800 has found a retirement homeLaughing

It's a shame Penta's are off the list as they would offer fantastic value for money at current prices.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 04-18-2007 4:57 AM In reply to

• Kevin
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-15-2007
    • Posts 1,256
    • Founder

Yes and in daily  use!

BTW do you notice the handy powerpoint next to each speaker connection just in case actives were ever a possibilty?Laughing 

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)