in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-29-2007 10:41 AM by Sal. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (23 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-09-2007 6:00 PM

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

New iMac?

First thing the Apple store manager (who knows me well) said to me when he saw me in the store today admiring the new iMacs was 'B&O Big Smile'

They really are stunning computers. Think MacPro build quality, and comparably outstanding performance, all wrapped up in the nicest eye candy yet designed by Apple!

Anybody else seen/used one yet?

Weekly top artists:                   

• 08-09-2007 6:21 PM In reply to

• Beofan2
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-31-2007
    • Fredericia, Denmark
    • Posts 313
    • Bronze Member

Re: New iMac?

No but hope I´ll be able to see the new imac soon. I think the design is great..will look great paired up with a couple of BL4

It´s not magic - it´s Bang & Olufsen

• 08-10-2007 1:06 PM In reply to

I was actually a bit disappointed that they retained the old form factor. I will head over to the apple store this weekend though and take a look.

JK

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 08-10-2007 2:03 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

So was I originally, however they do look very different in the flesh.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 08-10-2007 2:20 PM In reply to

Yes, they are much better looking in reality. And yes! they remind me of my BV7... Aluminium and black glass... Shame I do not have enough space at home... I am waiting for new laptops to replace my 12" powerbook.

p. 

• 08-11-2007 2:13 PM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

I'm bored with Apple, everythings over-hyped. I've had Mac's for years but the new stuff, so what. I want something new, not just something made of aluminium/glass instead of plastic. Nor a new iPod or another mobile phone to add to my phone mountain. Its time for something revolutionary. Wake me up when it arrives please.
  • 08-11-2007 3:16 PM In reply to

>> And yes! they remind me of my BV7<< 

I checked it out just nowat the 5th avenue store. They are nice, far nicer then any other computer I know but no competion for BC6 or BV7. They should have put one of these NFX or NSX flat panel speakers into the front, to loosen up the 'Jay Lenno Chin' ..... 

The glas reflexes light quite a bit .....

JK

• 08-12-2007 6:19 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

The NXT speakers won't sound anywhere near as good as what's in there at the moment. They've got two 24 watt digital amps driving a pair of speakers which fire down onto the surface under the iMac and back up to where you are sitting. They sound very very good!

Of course the BeoCenter 6 is better finished, and it should be for the price! The iMac is still the nicest computer I've ever used though...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 08-16-2007 10:48 AM In reply to

I'm hoping I can offload mine to my mother for her shop, the white will fit in better to the design and she doesn't need the latest and greatest!!!

I'll do her a really good price for mine, about the same as 20" new one Big Smile  I'll of course be getting the 24" Devil

• 08-16-2007 10:47 PM In reply to

>>The NXT speakers won't sound anywhere near as good as what's in there at the moment<<

It doesnt have to be NXT,  what I mean to sayis that having a front with tiny holes would loosen up the lenno chin a bit ...

• 08-17-2007 5:29 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I doubt it, the power supply is in the chin of the machine, and that's about how much space it takes up. They can't make the chin much smaller at present...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 08-27-2007 1:22 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

I saw the new iMac today in a store. It is the first iMac I like, because it doesn't look like it came out of a fashion show to mee.

I never used a mac, only PC, but this iMac could make me change my mind...

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 08-27-2007 6:54 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Make the switch. After a month or two of use, you'll never look back Big Smile.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 08-27-2007 7:07 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

tom:

I saw the new iMac today in a store. It is the first iMac I like, because it doesn't look like it came out of a fashion show to mee.

I never used a mac, only PC, but this iMac could make me change my mind...

I'm a neutral here as i use PC for LifeStyle and Mac for BeoWorld... they both do their jobs as i ask them to.

Given the choice...

Mac

I hate to jump on the old bandwagon, but they just 'work'.. It's like trying to explain B&O to someone who has never owned it, almost impossible til they have owned it themselves and then they know what you are talking about.  

Lee
    Smile

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 08-28-2007 5:56 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I'm kinda a neutral as well. I have Macs, and always try and use them instead of PCs. I also have a Dell and school is kitted out with ~350 PCs, so there's no escaping PCs for me. However, as Lee says, PCs do their job well, but given the choice Macs are much better IMO. As Lee says, you can't really know what it's like until you've owned one...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 08-28-2007 8:03 AM In reply to

i'll tell you one thing that pc's are much better at than macs

landfill

:) 

popgear is grate™

• 08-28-2007 6:37 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

In other news, the BeoWorld server has run out of space again due to an incredible influx in posts in a particular thread...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 08-29-2007 7:24 AM In reply to

• JoC
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-20-2007
    • Northern Ireland
    • Posts 121
    • Bronze Member

I’ve been writing Windows software for about 15 years, and more and more I am becoming disillusioned (/frustrated) in the progress and direction of the OS.

I have been looking at the Mac for sometime and now with the release of the new iMac I would like to make the jump – alas the only thing holding me back is the lack of understanding for the OS.

If I do jump I’d like to put BootCamp/Parallels on the machine – so I can still revert to a PC (for work etc).

The design of the iMac I think is really really nice, and something PC manufacturers should learn from (horrible beige boxes and a sh*t load of cables), that and I think the iMac would look nice among all my B&O gear Wink

JoC 

• 08-29-2007 8:03 AM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

There is one issue that is essetial for me before making the PC-Mac switch: I am working quite a lot with MS Access, and as far as I know, there is MS Office for Mac, but as far as I know, these office versions only incluse outlook, word and excell. I have made a lot of googling, but never found anything comparable to MS Access for Mac? (Would be great if it was compatible, so that I could convert my .mdb files to the new format).

• 08-29-2007 8:25 AM In reply to

• Goldfrog88
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-07-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 83
    • Gold Member

Tom. I don't know of any DB software that would do for you on the Mac, but if that's your only sticking point, buy a new iMac and Parallels software. Parallels runs Windows XP or Vista in a window on the new (and any Intel) iMac, so you could run your DB in that window, and enjoy the rest of the Mac as it is. I also recommend iWork and iLife as two must have application suites --- and they aren't as dear as Microsoft applications by any stretch of the imagination!
  • 08-29-2007 8:37 AM In reply to

• JoC
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-20-2007
    • Northern Ireland
    • Posts 121
    • Bronze Member

A very quick google turned up database software on the Mac called FileMaker altho this does not seem to allow you access to MS Access files, another quick google and I found this software which seems to allow MS Access in FileMaker and Apple's iLife software.

Or you could try BootCamp/Paralells - which I would like to try at some point.

JoC 

• 08-29-2007 10:18 AM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

Thanks JoC!

I knew about FileMaker, but the Actual ODBC Driver was unknown to me. Looks interesting! Thanks a lot!

• 08-29-2007 10:41 AM In reply to

• Sal
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-30-2007
    • Indianapolis, USA
    • Posts 261
    • Bronze Member

One underrated program which should play a role in moving the needle to the Mac side for the prospective switcher is iWork'08... it is absolutely stunning for the everyday user of MS Office.

I have been using Macs all my life (since my Dad was a graphic designer way back in the early 90s), but Office had been the gold standard. iWork '08 has made me switch fully from MS Office not only because Keynote rocks, but Numbers also does more of the routine things I need from Excel in a much more intuitive way.

Hardcore users of PPT or XL won't makje the switch (and they shouldn't) but for the casual user, this is a great value!

-Sal

Love B&O, but no longer addicted.
Page 1 of 1 (23 items)